Flipper lag theory

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I'm getting a ps3 this weekend.

Is there flipper lag if say, I hook up the ps3 to an HDTV via composite cables?

Lag is present only in 1080i/p resolution. It's ok for all others screen resolutions.

But... HDTV and composite cables? Really?:rolleyes:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I'm getting a ps3 this weekend.

Is there flipper lag if say, I hook up the ps3 to an HDTV via composite cables?

All I'm getting it for is vampire savior and pinball so graphics don't concern me playability is everything.

I'm curious how things turned out, were you able to find a lag-free setup?

The only 100% lag-free experience I've found is on a CRT TV, although at 720p on my LCDs its barely even noticeable (I really need to compare to PHoF or playing on the CRT TV to tell). So if you're lag-free I'd be interested in hearing what kind of TV you have and how its hooked up.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
Lag is present only in 1080i/p resolution. It's ok for all others screen resolutions.

I just grabbed the latest PS3 update, bought Firepower/Dr.Dude and tested in 720p/1080p with my TV set to "Game" mode. I couldn't detect any difference in controller responsiveness with the standard Sony wireless controller. 1080p looks much nicer on my TV.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I just grabbed the latest PS3 update, bought Firepower/Dr.Dude and tested in 720p/1080p with my TV set to "Game" mode. I couldn't detect any difference in controller responsiveness with the standard Sony wireless controller.

Lag is less noticeable on some tables. Did you tried on much complex tables like ToTAN (the worst laggy table for me), MM, or CV?

1080p looks much nicer on my TV.

+1. There's an obvious drop of graphic quality switching back to 720p. Not a big deal though, but it's annoying to not fully enjoy the TPA experience.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
Lag is less noticeable on some tables. Did you tried on much complex tables like ToTAN (the worst laggy table for me), MM, or CV?
Just tried all three, they felt fine to me, and I have definitely felt like MM/CV were not as good in the past.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Just tried all three, they felt fine to me, and I have definitely felt like MM/CV were not as good in the past.

This is strange, as FS said that the lag fix is still in "work in progress". Maybe a placebo effect?

Thanks for the report, though. I will check when the update will be at last release for EU players.

Quartrez

May 24, 2013
My PS3's display setting used to be set at 1080p, and Pinball Arcade would have atrocious flipper lag.
Since I set the display to 720p (or rather "unchecked the 1080p box in the display settings"), the flipper lag has diminished greatly to the point where it's barely noticeable (it's almost as good as Zen Pinball 2).
Since my TV is something like 18", I really don't notice any difference at all between 1080p and 720p in terms of visuals.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
PS3 hooked up by HDMI, running 1080p on a Toshiba 55TL515U with no lag. I dont even run in 'game mode' and everything is fine.

Then count yourself lucky that you are not sensitive to the lag. It is there. FarSight confirmed it a long time ago. There is no setup that will make it go away. There are setups that will make it worse for sure but nothing will make it go away except for a fix from FarSight.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
PS3 hooked up by HDMI, running 1080p on a Toshiba 55TL515U with no lag. I dont even run in 'game mode' and everything is fine.

On my first games, I used to play in 1080i. I noticed the lag but I thought: "It's not a big deal, I just have to flip earlier".

But one day, I switched to 720p, just to see the difference... Since this day, I can't play anymore in 1080i. The lag makes the game unplayable on a lot of tables.

You really notice no difference between 720p and 1080p??

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
It's a TV issue, too. I bet on an ASUS monitor, it doesn't lag.

I bought a PS3 and it had input lag with the only game I bought, Darkstalkers Collection. I took it right back to the store (store I work at now, btw). FWIW my 360 also lags on the same TV through HDMI. That's why I use a VGA cable on 360 that eliminates the input lag. It's a 60" Samsung LED in case anyone is wondering.

We run PS3's on ASUS monitors in my gaming circle for fighting games and there is zero lag. I have played PBA on a CRT on PS3 with no lag.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
On my first games, I used to play in 1080i. I noticed the lag but I thought: "It's not a big deal, I just have to flip earlier".

But one day, I switched to 720p, just to see the difference... Since this day, I can't play anymore in 1080i. The lag makes the game unplayable on a lot of tables.

You really notice no difference between 720p and 1080p??

I'm going to go ahead and pipe up that I don't see any lag in either mode either. I use it on the same monitor I use for the PC, a BenQ. I don't remember the model. If there's lag present in either 1080p or 720p I don't see it. I could just be used to it I suppose, but I figured I'd come out and give my experience.

Deathtickle

Dec 10, 2012
I just hooked up to my 42" Samsung and I did experience lag in TPaA

That TV (Samsung) is in the living room which I never really use for gaming although the Wii is hooked up to it.

That said my Toshiba I use for gaming does not seem to have that lag issue.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I'm going to go ahead and pipe up that I don't see any lag in either mode either. I use it on the same monitor I use for the PC, a BenQ. I don't remember the model. If there's lag present in either 1080p or 720p I don't see it. I could just be used to it I suppose, but I figured I'd come out and give my experience.

Bingo. An Asus or BenQ is not going to lag. (wait aren't these the same? I forget).

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Bingo. An Asus or BenQ is not going to lag. (wait aren't these the same? I forget).

I don't think they're the same. At least in finland both asus and benq are sold separately. They might still use the same component manufacturers I suppose if that makes a difference. I haven't looked into it.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012

Most computer monitors and CRT TVs seem to be immune to all but the 1 frame of lag that FS has said is built-in for lighting/rendering. That 1 frame would be barely noticeable if at all anyway. Getting a PC monitor specifically for TPA might be the best solution for some people like me if FS doesn't find a way to resolve this.

Also, if I plug into an old CRT TV using composite AV cables there's no lag. So I know a lag-free set-up is possible on some TVs. Even at 720p on my LCD TVs (with all the optimal settings) there's a tiny bit of lag that's not there on the CRT, but its barely noticeable*. At 1080p its much more noticeable and greatly hinders gameplay, especially on the complex tables with a lot of ramps.

I think that if you had that lag you would definitely notice it, so I doubt its that you're just used to it as some might suggest. So the fact that you're using a PC monitor is probably your saving grace.

*Note: I've got an HDMI-VGA converter coming to try out an old CRT PC monitor @ 1280x720 to see how that works, mostly out of curiosity more than anything, and because that old CRT TV is nearly dead.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Besides flipper lag switching from 1080p to 720p makes the table selection alot faster. I have adjusted to the 1080p lag to the point if I switch to 720p I cant make certain shots as predictably MM's catapult on 1080p I can get barnyard multiball with no problems then when I switch to 720p I cant make 1 shot and on the reverse side on TOTAN on 1080p I cant make a orbit shot from a trap to save my life and shooting a ball up the spiral ramp doesn't always make it around but on 720p I can shoot the orbits and the spiral ramp shot almost always complets the loop very quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts