It's Fish Tales!!!!! (and Season 3 discussion)

BigWeather

Jul 1, 2013
I'll happily pay $5 for unlimited play on a new pinball table every month. o.o

...So long as it's not like, Jive Time or something.

That's exactly my worry -- that with this new model tables like Jive Time (or any less than super popular EM/SS) will be shoved aside. That's why I loved the two table format -- it let the "runts" have their time to shine.

I hope that they have many more seasons and tables planned -- there are so many more tables I'd love to see. If Season 3 is only ten tables, and even worse -- the last -- then I hope it has a healthy mix of DMDs, EMs, and SSs.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
IDK if there'll be a big UI overhaul right away, but on the first menu I suspect the leaderboard tile will be removed to make room for the Season 3 one as a bare minimum.

The new UI won't be ready for the start of season 3 is my guess, but trust me when I say it's staggeringly better. Hopefully they'll post a screen shot up soon to tide you all over.

Eegah

May 12, 2013
Obligatory Bowen tutorial here. Looks like a real drain monster.

I like the seams around the four larger fish lights in the middle of the playfield. I hope seams like that can change the ball trajectory -- I think that's one factor that makes TPA tables easier than real life.

BigWeather

Jul 1, 2013
The new UI won't be ready for the start of season 3 is my guess, but trust me when I say it's staggeringly better. Hopefully they'll post a screen shot up soon to tide you all over.

I am really, really happy to hear that the new UI is great! Thank you for your impressions on it.

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
That's exactly my worry -- that with this new model tables like Jive Time (or any less than super popular EM/SS) will be shoved aside. That's why I loved the two table format -- it let the "runts" have their time to shine.

I hope that they have many more seasons and tables planned -- there are so many more tables I'd love to see. If Season 3 is only ten tables, and even worse -- the last -- then I hope it has a healthy mix of DMDs, EMs, and SSs.

If single table packs are the way from here on out there better not be any EMs....those will sell about as well as purity rings in a whorehouse.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I have high hopes for season 3. Still looking to see what the big surprise is. Certainly not this table announcement. Switching to a one table per "pack" is slightly disappointing but of the available tables out there, fish tales is definitely the best choice.
I predict we will see more bug fixes and improvements this year.
I predict the tables will be predominantly WMS nd most all of it heat. I skimmed a lot of Facebook comments and they mentioned certain tables high on their list or even said they were hoping to release them soon. Those would be junkyard, bk2k, black rose, diner, ebd and cyclone (over hurricane). I also would expect a possible data east or sega table.
My main disappointment is sorcerer not looking likely. They can keep ace high, Colgate, strikes and spares or anything else that wasn't reissued. I had truly hoped for sorcerer and I know it was gaining lots of momentum. Maybe season 4 will bring it back or an alternate idea I would love to see:
I hope as a separate release,aybe they could have a pack of 4 games being all em/ early as games. The price could be more value oriented and having additional tables could appeal to both fans and non-fans of that era. I would hate to see these tables passed over because of having marginal popularity. But combining sorcerer, xenon, fathom, catacomb, paragon, etc with a couple tables from the em era would be awesome.
I still think there will be a kickstarter for this season and they seem hard at work still trying to get Addams.
I also think high speed or getaway will release. If ebd does come out, it will be end of year.
It won't be the best season ever. But it will have the highest quality per release based on the fact that only one table will be in each pack.
Unless sales suck, I think season 3 will be far from the last. I have seen enough forward looking comments from farsight stating they have at least 2-3 more seasons or they are interested in a table but "not this season"

Turbine

May 19, 2012
Very pleased with the announcement of Fish Tales as I've spent more time playing this table (and TAM) than any other. Not bothered if it's just one table, 4 of the last 5 releases have been 2 table packs and none of them interested me.

After buying everything except BH from season 1, I've only bought 2 packs in total from season 2. I'm hoping season 3 is more to my liking, it's certainly a good start.

Last edited:

gypsyshred

Apr 12, 2012
If it needs to be one table a month ongoing to guarantee quality, so be it. But please adjust the season pass price accordingly.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
Looking forward to Fish Tales! I've never played it but I know a lot of you are big fans, so I expect I will have a good time. My two cents on the 1 table per month thing: Awesome! As Jeff pointed out earlier in the thread, this addresses many complaints - they can concentrate on producing one very nice table instead of struggling to do two, so hopefully that will alleviate some of the bugs and quality issues. Not only this, but many of us were saying it would be nice to only buy exactly what you want without having to buy a second table you had no interest in. Sounds like that problem is solved too! As for the price, I would like to see it drop to $2.50 (if you consider the tables of equal value, I can only assume they are as far as workmanship is concerned) but I don't know if I expect that to happen. Either way it won't concern me because I intend to outright buy Season 3 as soon as I am able, and personally I like getting a surprise table each month no matter which ones come out.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I remember when this project first started, FarSight gave you the option to either buy the month's release as a two pack for $4.99, or buy that month's tables separately, the reissue for $1.99, and the new one for $3.99. The incentive being, buy the two pack, save a buck. If the tables from here on out are $3.99, then FarSight is still actually on the same track they started with. And if they do indeed bump it up to $4.99, chalk it up to inflation, and or the new WMS deal costing FS more. Afterall, they did have to renegotiate.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I remember when this project first started, FarSight gave you the option to either buy the month's release as a two pack for $4.99, or buy that month's tables separately, the reissue for $1.99, and the new one for $3.99. The incentive being, buy the two pack, save a buck. If the tables from here on out are $3.99, then FarSight is still actually on the same track they started with. And if they do indeed bump it up to $4.99, chalk it up to inflation, and or the new WMS deal costing FS more. Afterall, they did have to renegotiate.

It was inferred that they still have several tables left in their original contract so it probably isn't a factor for the initial tables but inflation and possibly long term expense of any renegotiation would likely contribute. I think that they could charge ten bucks if the quality is a high as fish tales appears to have thus far. It's still the best value going in gaming right now.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
It was inferred that they still have several tables left in their original contract so it probably isn't a factor for the initial tables but inflation and possibly long term expense of any renegotiation would likely contribute. I think that they could charge ten bucks if the quality is a high as fish tales appears to have thus far. It's still the best value going in gaming right now.

$10 would be suicide for anything other than a major licence.
I think $5 personally would be my ceiling for the average table and I'm fairly hardcore.

They might actually end up with higher profits by trying a lower purchase (say $2) and dropping the ever rotating free table, which removes the casual players need to purchase. Might be worth a trial.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
True, ten bucks is probably suicide. I can finish a 60 dollar game in 2 hours and never look at it again so to me it is dirt cheap with the hours upon hours I will get out of it

night

May 18, 2012

We are hardcore fans and we pay it because we out of our minds. But for many folks in the real world $4.99 for 1 pinball game is pretty high.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, I guess people forget the days when we had to pay $30 for one Pro Pinball table, and we paid it gladly. We truly are spoiled in this mobile age of "gimmie everything for $0.99 or I'll cry!!!"...and what other pinball app will give you 2 tables every month, or even 1 table every month? *crickets*

canuck

Nov 28, 2012

IMO price inflation for IAP ( which is essentially what the monthly tables are) is getting a bit out of hand on iOS App Store. Truthfully, TPA is the most expensive software I buy. For most apps I either wait until they go free, 99cent sale, or other discount. This month, in the runup to Christmas there are many a-list titles going on 99cent discounts. This is to say, the app ,arket must be a tough place to make a profit. A balancing act between keeping your current regular customers happy, while also attracting new ones...so I agree, they better be A list tables to justify the price inflation.

Edit, sorry for typos, on iPad. ;)

Last edited:

goo_back

Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, I guess people forget the days when we had to pay $30 for one Pro Pinball table, and we paid it gladly. We truly are spoiled in this mobile age of "gimmie everything for $0.99 or I'll cry!!!"...and what other pinball app will give you 2 tables every month, or even 1 table every month? *crickets*

Yeah times changed. It's whatever is the precedent.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.