It's Fish Tales!!!!! (and Season 3 discussion)

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
I am glad to be here. Thanks guys. Anyways back to pinball. I don't want to highjack this thread. :D

I have been playing a fair bit of Fish Tales on Steam. What a great table! I am excited at the other 3 tables they mentioned in the season 3 beta tester news. Season 3 is going to be a good season from the looks of what is confirmed already.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Yeah, I guess people forget the days when we had to pay $30 for one Pro Pinball table, and we paid it gladly. We truly are spoiled in this mobile age of "gimmie everything for $0.99 or I'll cry!!!"...and what other pinball app will give you 2 tables every month, or even 1 table every month? *crickets*

I predict a fair bit of commentary about this in the next BarCade Podcast. Great fodder! I was actually wondering what we'd talk about.

Jul 2, 2012
This is definitely something to look forward to this month. I've gotten to play a real Fish Tales on two occasions, but the condition of the machines was less than stellar so the experience left me mildly underwhelmed. It won't be a problem here, though!

ZenTron

Jul 21, 2013
Besides the base game having two additional tables they have always released just one new table each month. The second table was just a re-release from either the Gottlieb or Williams Hall of Fame collections that was released on console. I assume a re-release takes a fraction of the time to make since all the models are already created and now all those tables have been released.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Besides the base game having two additional tables they have always released just one new table each month. The second table was just a re-release from either the Gottlieb or Williams Hall of Fame collections that was released on console. I assume a re-release takes a fraction of the time to make since all the models are already created and now all those tables have been released.
You know, I had always figured they had to redo the models and textures for those tables, but I guess you're right, they were able to use the stuff they already had. On Facebook today, they said

The Pinball Arcade [...] those re-releases were emulated in many cases, and the art was updated, but the models and most of the resources were already there, all we had to do was tweak them and add emulation.

So yeah, given that they're out of those now, more or less, they'd have no way to keep getting two tables done a month.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
one a month is fine for me, there's over 40 tables already, including about 12 of the all-time top 20 titles. imagine an arcade near to you that you could go and play all these?
thatd be awesome, right? and it'd probably be about 50p or £1 a game, right?

so stop all your moaning. i also look forward to a few bug fixes, but one title will be fine for me

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
You know, I had always figured they had to redo the models and textures for those tables, but I guess you're right, they were able to use the stuff they already had. On Facebook today, they said

So yeah, given that they're out of those now, more or less, they'd have no way to keep getting two tables done a month.

Models yes, but not the textures. They actually re-bought all the PHOF pins so they could re-do the textures, as well as emulate them and update the physics. They had sold all the pins off after PHOF thinking they wouldn't need them again. Jay told us when we were there that they'll never make that mistake again.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Perhaps Season Three will herald the "quality over quantity" many folks have been asking for.

Let's wait and see. Either way, I'm looking forward to the season.

Many sentiments exactly. I feel it's been quite evident for a while that FarSight have been stretching themselves far too thin with TPA. Too many platforms, too many tables, too little time.

Hopefully this means that the overall quality will improve, and issues with previous releases will be addressed. I hope we will see new versions of the tables we already have, being released after recieving a further layer of polish.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah, I guess people forget the days when we had to pay $30 for one Pro Pinball table, and we paid it gladly. We truly are spoiled in this mobile age of "gimmie everything for $0.99 or I'll cry!!!"...and what other pinball app will give you 2 tables every month, or even 1 table every month? *crickets*

This is the only thing that comes to my mind :)
http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

Not to mention the maintenance costs or a restoration of a real pinball machine... ;)

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
I played the hell out of FT as a teenager in the 90's. It seemed to be in just about every UK arcade back then. I can't wait for this, I just hope it holds up to the nostalgia well. Sometimes when you play these tables more on TPA, the ones with the simple rules don't stand the test of time.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.