Request MFi connectivity/compatibility?

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
So, MFi is this handy-dandy protocol/standard thing so peripheral manufacturers can make controllers especially for iOS devices, and they'll just work. Any chance of seeing this compatibility implemented into the iOS version of TPA (sooner rather than later)?

There's already a number of them available, plus there's a jailbreak application that lets you use a PS3 controller as an MFi device :D Part of the standard seems to be analog joypads/sticks, so analogue tilting in iOS TPA with a controller could soon be a legitimate thing!

From the MFi Wikipedia page:
The release of the developer's version of iOS 7 at the 2013 WWDC included a new MFi approval for game controllers, either wrap-around designs that clip onto an iDevice, or completely separate wireless models.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
It's not called MFi, actually. MFi stands for "Made For (iPod/iPad/iPhone)". It's an approval program Apple has to make accessories that are compatible with Apple devices.

iOS 7 introduced a new controller API to standardize controller input in apps and how controller manufacturers can interface their devices with the iDevice.

That said, support would be nice... I have to check out that PS3 one...

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Well, I was pretty vague in my opening statement so you can't exactly say I was wrong :p

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
With such a controller I could use my iPad like a wee games console hooked up to the TV. Not sure why Apple waited so long to do an API that people sold re-packaged keyboards to do it!

I've only seen things that act like cradles thus far - has anyone actually made a Bluetooth joypad and is it any good/supported? I expect it will be mid/late this year before it takes off.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
The app for jailbroken devices now supports PS4 controllers :D

I think FS would be getting ahead of the game if they implemented support. There's a list of games on Reddit that support it, and I'd wager that people are buying some of those purely because they can use their controller with it.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
My apologies, I thought I'd mentioned that in the thread. There's a distinct difference between using CFA and something like Blutrol because of the usage of analogue inputs for MFi, so I hope FS put it in. I'm inclined to think it's more a case "when" than "if".

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Bumping this, because I don't think this made an appearance in the current release. Come on, guys! It would control exactly like the console/PC versions with analogue controls etc. and make mini cab building super easy!

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
Bumping this, because I don't think this made an appearance in the current release. Come on, guys! It would control exactly like the console/PC versions with analogue controls etc. and make mini cab building super easy!

I already asked about implementing this in another thread. They said they will add it in the next version probably. Like a bare bones version, just to test it out..

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
It's a bit pricey, but it would mean I'd actually play stuff like my Atari, Activision and Vectrex Anthologies. Thanks for flagging this and thanks for supporting it Farsight!

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I'll make an update in this thread when support goes in. :p
Is this the update?!? ;)

Seriously though, is this likely to be one of the "out of band" updates or more in line with the release schedule of tables? Safe to assume it'd have analogue control support?

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Well, I've added compatibility. I can't say I'm too impressed with the controller itself or the framework's Bluetooth connectivity.

The controller in question is the only one thus far that connects via Bluetooth (instead of Lightning) and isn't form-fitted for iPhone 5's so it works with the newer iPads. However, the controller is simply way too small (I can fit the whole thing in one hand) and the left and right triggers/buttons are way too close together. After using it off and on for the past 5 hours I'm led to believe that my hand would be cramping if I were to use it for long periods of serious gaming.

There are two types of MFi controllers: standard and extended. The extended controllers have analog sticks which support analog plunging and nudging. The standard setup is very similar to the iCade.

The Bluetooth connection is a bit finicky to get going and the player indexing doesn't seem to always work on the controller. The documentation states that when the controller is set to index 0 the light for player 1 should light up, but it would only do it sometimes and I'd have to turn of the controller off and on again. There's also callback that gets fired when a controller disconnects, so I threw some pause code in there. However, the callback doesn't get fired off until 5 to 10 seconds after the controller is disconnected -- not exactly ideal for a real-time game.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Stuart, that's an amazing update. Not only for the implementation notification, but your detail!
Whilst I doubt it would help with development, if there's a jail broken device in the office, an app called ControllersforAll grants PS3, PS4 and WiiU Pro controllers MFi compatibility. Probably a damn sight better than the controller you have now!

Wild guess, but this addition will cause a ripple amongst hobbyists wanting to make a mini cab/controller for their iDevices. Appreciate it!

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Well that review does give me pause. It's an early entry; hopefully we'll see more (and more reasonably-priced) controllers in the future. Incidentally I've yet to launch TPA with the iPad hooked up to the TV. Does the code support external screens (like the Video app) or will I end up with window boxing (like the main screen)?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.