Request My proposed changes to Tournament mode

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Under the current system it favours those of us with a lot of time to 'grind' away at the tables to obtain the best scores.

My proposition is that we change it into a credit based system, you get 1 credit per day, with that credit it enables you to play through the bank of tables once. If you want to try again you have the option of buying another attempt OR wait 24 hours when you get another free attempt.

You cannot pause, restart or quit out of the table once its in play, doing so will forfeit and give you a nil score for that table.

The tables will be set to 3 balls, tournament mode to on and NO EXTRA BALLS.

The application will keep track which machines are played to completion so you can quit and resume from where you left off.

I'm sure we're all really eager to get some feedback from Farsight about this.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I agree, but I think you are still being too lenient. I would like to see a tourney where you can only play each table one time. One and done. Ok maybe two. But no more than that.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
+1 for 1 game per table.

I haven't bothered with this tournament due to not having enough time to dedicate for it.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I agree, but I think you are still being too lenient. I would like to see a tourney where you can only play each table one time. One and done. Ok maybe two. But no more than that.
I strongly disagree. If the tournaments were a 1-day knockout format, sure. But one and done for a 10-day tournament leaves too much to chance.

I still say make it like the PAPA qualifying, which is specifically designed to allow players multiple attempts while simultaneously making it nearly impossible for someone to grind their way to good results.

K

Korven

How about a number of credits to spend however you like on all tables? Something like 20 credits for 8 tables.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
These ideas sound great. After about an hour I stopped playing this round's tournament tables because I just don't have enough time to dedicate to it.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I'd like to see fewer tables, shorter duration and more often. Now that we've gotten our first tourney on the PS3 I'd like to see a new one every week. Have it last for 5 to 7 days with 3 to 5 tables. I wonder how much time is involved in setting up the tournaments for us?

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
If anyone is curious how the 'pay to play' model might work, download "Pac-Man + Tournaments" from the appstore of your choice and give it a go...

Something like that in TPA would be ideal.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Under a pay to play model then the victor is simply he with the most disposable income. Tourney should have an entry fee or be free that's it. I like the no extra balls and I'm down for the play all tables and count your scores or count none of them.

Day

Jan 9, 2013
great thread Carl.

rather than thinking of this as a boycott.... i think of it more as abstaining. I 'm not protesting against the tournament but with the current ruleset i'm quite ambivalent. like many others, i simply don't have either the time to or the inclination to "grind out" a decent score. when i first picked up TPA last Nov, i wouldn't have had any clue what grinding out a score meant.... now with improved playing skills, and improvements to my own PB highscores, i'm a bit more thoughtful as to which tables i want to play. playing for over an hour in a single game can be quite draining on concentration, on my eyesight, my thumbs start to get RSI and particularly the left thumb/hand joint begins to weaken & ache after say a serious multiball session on say MB or AFM.

sadly this tournament is not for me..... (second time now of non-participation)

but as you've constructively suggested, a few minor alterations to the ruleset and it could be a blast... in the same way that the 1 ball challenge is also great fun.

Sure, limit the number of plays (and no EBs), use credits, or a score submission that only counts when all tables are played through are all excellent proposals and would have my fullest endorsement as evidenced by tourney participation.... until then, count me out!

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
How about a number of credits to spend however you like on all tables? Something like 20 credits for 8 tables.

Oooh I like this--finally a real use for a "credit" system!

As it is I'm already limiting myself to a play or two per table, because yeah I can't just set my week aside to grind away at tourney scores. : P

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I agree with the no extra balls and tournament mode. However, I don't think one and done is a fair system either. Someone else already suggested this somewhere, but have the system set up so you can play through the bank as many times as you want, but you have to go through the entire bank and accept or fail the entire bank's score for each run. I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to pause the table either. The game isn't a 100% simulation and it can't ever be, so why implement things that will make people not want to play?

To clarify that last point there are already a few tables in the game where on a good run you can go for several hours on no extra balls if you want to just grind for score. Preventing people from pausing to go stretch their legs or eat or whatnot is just needlessly punishing.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
To clarify that last point there are already a few tables in the game where on a good run you can go for several hours on no extra balls if you want to just grind for score. Preventing people from pausing to go stretch their legs or eat or whatnot is just needlessly punishing.
This shouldn't be possible, that's the whole point.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
This shouldn't be possible, that's the whole point.

Fair enough, but that's a function of Farsight making the game easier partly intentionally and partly due to the more deterministic fashion in which the program works. The proposal can't really fix that.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
Can't pause a real machine either, the absolute main focus is to prevent these grind-fests, allowing the user to pause just encourages it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.