New Bobby King Podcast from Allgames.com

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
I finally got some game play in on an AC/DC. I don't know if it's just a case of over hyping it in my head or what, but I think I enjoyed Metallica more. Granted, I haven't even been anywhere near figuring out the 'how to REALLY score' on either machine, but as a whack the ball around experience, my vote goes to Metallica. I also much prefer actual artwork to photo shopping.

Lemme be clear though, it's a real close call for me and both are hands down the best Stern's I've played. I really think Stern sees the benefit of having a table recreated by FS while it's available for sale. It sure is a hell of a demo for the real deal.

I have also played both,and I enjoyed playing AC/DC more than Metallica - though honestly,both were okay. My guess as to why Metallica would be easier than AC/DC to do is mainly based on the licensing.

The latter is notorious for being real sticky with their music licensing - anyone who is into Harmonix's Rock Band game knows this. That is my theory anyways...

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
It wasn't until last year that AC/DC finally let Apple sell their music in the iTunes store.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Would love both of them. One of the best connects I ever saw was AC/DC with Bon Scott. Highway to Hell tour. Fan of old Metallica too. That would be so sweet if they could get either. Would pay $20 for each without kickstarter.

" Mr. King goes over what new tables are on the way (-cough-Metallica-cough-) and even teases the possibility of some original tables from Farsight, and even a pinball construction set where users can create their own unique machines."

Wow, that makes it sound like Metallica is for sure. That would be so damn cool.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'd prefer AC/DC if given the choice. One of the most exciting pins I've ever played. Such a rush, you just want to keep playing.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I haven't played Metallica yet but purely on the fact that it is hand drawn art, I think it is better looking. I am more of a fan of AC/DC musicallly but I do enjoy both. AC/DC does have possibly the best playing table of stern's in a long time, along with tron legacy. Those two really brought stern back to showing how gun a pinball game can be.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Would love both of them. One of the best connects I ever saw was AC/DC with Bon Scott. Highway to Hell tour. Fan of old Metallica too. That would be so sweet if they could get either. Would pay $20 for each without kickstarter.

" Mr. King goes over what new tables are on the way (-cough-Metallica-cough-) and even teases the possibility of some original tables from Farsight, and even a pinball construction set where users can create their own unique machines."

Wow, that makes it sound like Metallica is for sure. That would be so damn cool.

Twenty bucks a piece. Absolutely! I'd drop twenty bucks each for a TPA version of Metallica Premium, AC/DC Premium and Tron Premium. Sixty bucks and I'd do it twice! For ios and PSN. I wonder how many would be willing to do that? Probably not enough, unfortunately.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Just listened to the podcast.It was pretty interesting!

The things I took from it (that haven't been discussed here already) -

The Shadow gets mentioned,and Bobby thinks its an excellent table,so hopefully we will see this on TPA in the future...

Also,the interviewer mentioned Star Trek - to which Mr. King said no,before talking about the fact that there are two other Star Trek tables,and one wasn't licensed. The IPDB has three Star Trek named pins (in addition to TNG). I've never played the Gottlieb unlicensed one and have no interest there. Also, Bally put one out in 1979 to coincide with the first Trek film.
Again,never played,and not a lot of interest to me either.

I rather liked the '94 Data East table though - based on the original series.It was easy,but it was also fun. That's one I would like to see,but I won't get my hopes up...

Regardless,good news all around,and I look forward to the future of TPA.

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
I am against the idea of the 'pinball construction kit' being available for the general public unless user submitted created tables are validated by Farsight.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
I am against the idea of the 'pinball construction kit' being available for the general public unless user submitted created tables are validated by Farsight.

Validated by fs might be a bit much maybe a user star rating so the good tables rise to the top.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I think it could be cool to have a 'Little Big Planet' type community created pinball hosted by TPA. A lot of crap, but some amazing gems too.

N

netizen

I can already think of one or two "emulation" community websites that could get themselves either into an internet tizzy, or use the entire project for that grey area sort of "preservation" that many pinball fans have discussed for a long time.

I will have to withhold any real comment until the construction set is released and anyone can get a look see at what sort of tools are actually available.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Little more about protecting FS from companies that might sue them because someone wanted to make a license table. >.>
As long as FarSight did not provide the IP with the construction set and complied with any DMCA takedown requests they received regarding user-created tables, they would generally not be liable.

There's pretty standard language that can be added to the EULA that covers this sort of thing, too.

karl

May 10, 2012
Lots of great info on the podcast, but I almost feel a bit sorry for Bobby King. They caught him off guard a few times, drilling for exclusives and he got a bit uncomfortable here and there. At least they managed to pull a few rabbits out from his hat ;)

Since Metallica is clearly into pinball and probably have more control over their record company (just guessing here) I can see that Metallica is a bit more feasible but it still came as a chock to me. I refuse to go into a I like Metallica or AC/DC debate here, at least not until Metallica rules are more finished but it outshines AC/DC ten to one on the art side of things ;)

The Shadow even a remote possibility was another pleasant shocker. I can't imagine a table based on an unpopular movie being a kickstarter hit no matter how good that table is, but I'll do my part if they need it. Anything that Brian Eddy was even remotely involved with is golden.

They have been talking about TSPP as something to go after for more than a year on and off so hopefully this is coming (Way more interested in Simpsons than South park when it comes to pinball) and this is one license that if they get it, getting the data east table in a bundle should be easy. Same company (not different movie companies like Star trek and T3) and same actors, etc.

All in all a very interesting podcast.

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Lots of great info on the podcast, but I almost feel a bit sorry for Bobby King. They caught him off guard a few times, drilling for exclusives and he got a bit uncomfortable here and there. At least they managed to pull a few rabbits out from his hat ;).

Yea. Good info but thought the host was a bit pushy. Also, more than once he would interrupt Bobby to hear himself talk some more. Need a new Jeff interview. :)

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
As far as the Pinball construction kit is concerned, I don't think it's going to make it's way to the general public. Not only would there be the dodgy legal problems of people creating unliscenced tables, but if they were released in the community for free then they'd be competing directly with Farsight's own tables which you pay money for.

When they said construction kit, I assumed it meant something they could give to independant pinball game developers (Think Revenge of the Rob-O-Bot) or Steve Richie. The kit would probably require them to sumbit a basic table for Farsight to fine tune and then release.

What would be nice is if these tables are considered extras, and not technically part of the regular release schedule. It'd be great to have one month with potentially three or four new tables.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts