New hotness on iOS & Android: Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot

Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot is a digital pinball game by Color Monkey.

pacreis

Jun 8, 2012
New hotness on iOS: Revenge of the Rob-o-Bot

Haha lol :p We have debating whether DMD minigames are cool or not, and I personally isn't too fond of them :p Or maybe I just haven't played any of the good ones :p Having said that, everything is possible for future games.

The DMD animations are very well made for this table because they are short, if DMD minigames are added it will brake the pacing and the flow that the game as right now. Personally i only like minigames in a pinball table if they are polished and improve the theme of the table.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
DMD minigames are pretty dumb, I particularly could do without them in HD, MM and CV. The most entertaining one imo is still digital pinball in TOM

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
DMD minigames are pretty dumb, I particularly could do without them in HD, MM and CV. The most entertaining one imo is still digital pinball in TOM
Call me opinionated, but forswearing video modes is one of the few things modern Sterns get right. And yes, the Amazing Roonie one in Cirqus Voltaire is particularly heinous. Cameron Silver, what were you thinking?

night

May 18, 2012
Call me opinionated, but forswearing video modes is one of the few things modern Sterns get right. And yes, the Amazing Roonie one in Cirqus Voltaire is particularly heinous. Cameron Silver, what were you thinking?

Yes, and looking at the DMD quality of this pinball game it could be a cool-looking quick weird little game. Of course it should not compromise on the action of the table, it needs to be fast, shoot-hit-boom and you win multi-ball (or you loose).
Just an idea. :p

pacreis

Jun 8, 2012

The DMD animations being short and simple in this game really helps them not being distracting and I never really have the wish to skip the animations after playing allot of games.

night

May 18, 2012
Another idea: Put a small transparent dome on the table with one opening for the ball. The dome spins around slowly, so it's difficult to shoot the ball inside the dome because the opening is always moving around. When you succeed to shoot into the dome you cause a short-circuit to the system which activates multi-ball. :cool:

Very quick-and-dirty sketch.

idea.jpg

Last edited:

Anders

Color Monkey
Nov 21, 2012
Another idea: Put a small transparent dome on the table with one opening for the ball. The dome spins around slowly, so it's difficult to shoot the ball inside the dome because the opening is always moving around. When you succeed to shoot into the dome you cause a short-circuit to the system which activates multi-ball. :cool:

Very quick-and-dirty sketch.

idea.jpg

Looks nice, great job!

pacreis

Jun 8, 2012

After updating to version 1.0.2 my Rob-o-Bot was reset to the original machine.

pacreis

Jun 8, 2012

Now that the multiplier is reset after a ball loss it will be very difficult to beat the previous scores. I have the top spot right now but I think that the leaderboards should be reset or created new one for the new score rules.

night

May 18, 2012
A positive comment from my side: Anders, the chrome-work looks much better now, excellent!

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
comments on new uodate

im regularly loosing balls when i hit mission control they just start a mission appear to drop through the table and then mission fails.

whats with the nudging i feel like im hecules with the slightest register of a nudge ....i love more sensitivitiy in nudging but this is insane? also can you explain the mechanics of onky and upwards nudge?

jhamdotme

Apr 14, 2012
Rob-O-Bot is better than Twilight Zone. There, I said it.

The new Twilight Zone table just came out for Pinball Arcade, and unsurprisingly, it’s pretty great. What is surprising, though, is that after only one game, I immediately went back to playing Rob-O-Bot.

Rob-O-Bot is a good table, sure, all of us who’ve played it know that. Why would I prefer to play this over Twilight Zone, one of the best reviewed pinball tables ever? Well, pretty simply, it plays better. The ball feels a hell of a lot more natural, and it’s just a whole lot more fun. The fact that it’s hard is just an added bonus. Pinball Arcade, and Zen just like it, by contrast they’re way too easy. And because of this, they’re way less satisfying to play.

So it hasn’t been said before, even in this thread, but NENA deserves a ton of credit for their pinball engine. They may not have the chops to design tables, as evidenced by their earlier efforts, but they sure do know how to make that ball move. So kudos to them. Their engine, paired with the design from Color Monkey, that’s what makes this table special.

I said this same thing, more or less, over at the Touch Arcade forums, in their popular thread for Pinball Arcade. I wasn’t trying to hijack that thread, so much, I was really just trying to spread the word and share this great table with some of the less enlightened. Stop by, if you want.

night

May 18, 2012
The new Twilight Zone table just came out for Pinball Arcade, and unsurprisingly, it’s pretty great. What is surprising, though, is that after only one game, I immediately went back to playing Rob-O-Bot.

Rob-O-Bot is a good table, sure, all of us who’ve played it know that. Why would I prefer to play this over Twilight Zone, one of the best reviewed pinball tables ever? Well, pretty simply, it plays better. The ball feels a hell of a lot more natural, and it’s just a whole lot more fun. The fact that it’s hard is just an added bonus. Pinball Arcade, and Zen just like it, by contrast they’re way too easy. And because of this, they’re way less satisfying to play.

And lets not forget Rob-o-Bot graphics are made with heart and soul, they are eye-candies! Much(!) better than the uninspiring stiff & flat looking TPA's Twilight Zone.

pacreis

Jun 8, 2012

Bug: The plunger sound effect is lost after playing the first ball.

iPad 3, iOS6, v1.0.2

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
And lets not forget Rob-o-Bot graphics are made with heart and soul, they are eye-candies! Much(!) better than the uninspiring stiff & flat looking TPA's Twilight Zone.

I think Rob-o-Bot's graphics are gorgeous, but I also wouldn't call TPA's Twilight Zone uninspiring. You do understand that since TPA is rom emulated some graphic luster is a compromised. TZ will look amazing on consoles, but having it on my ipad is just an added bonus for me. With that said, does Color Monkey have any plans to release Rob-oBot on consoles? I'd love to see an Xbox360 (or even PC) version of it someday.

jhamdotme

Apr 14, 2012
does Color Monkey have any plans to release Rob-oBot on consoles?

Anders touched on this at Pinside:

Anders said:
It's currently only available for iOS devices (iPad/iPone/iPod), but is slated for Android in December and more platforms to follow (hopefully PS3, XBOX360, Gameboy, Mac, Steam, etc).

Anders can speak to this with some authority, but my guess is that the latter consoles kind of depend on how well this does on iOS and Android. I've got my fingers crossed, though, because I'd love to break out the ole Gameboy.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.