New PSN tourney starting on 5/16

pibawiz61

Jun 10, 2013
true

I think there are around 200 now in silver. I agree though, there is no way to know about the tournament unless you check the boards. I check them all the time and I almost missed the last android one.
Good Point. A few days on Holiday not checking the boards. The last silver Tourney I had about 24 hours. This time I knew tourney is coming (thanx to those of you who feed the boards) but - I was on a short holiday, start today seriously. Can it be Gold? I guess not.

cammanchee

May 29, 2013
I think the timed tournaments would be fun to give a try. I do agree with some that it was quite a grind to spend an hour to three hours+ per table to get a score that would be competitive. So I think a timed tournament would be excellent. But, as was stated above, I think ultimately what would be awesome and great would be if TPA would be able to create all the tables with the PAPA rules set and table set-ups specifically available and only for use for these tournaments.

Unfortunately for me, my PS3 rrod'd on me back in January, and I thought I was going to have the funds to get it fixed by now, but unfortunately I've not been able to. My wife lost her job, and I started a new job in February that pays more than the last, but all the deductions taken out (automatically contribute into 2 retirement funds = additional 16.5 percent on top of taxes etc.) has made my checks smaller than originally anticipated. I had earned my way up to gold, and according to flippyfloppy, I would not be dropped down due to non-participation in a tournament/s. So until she can find some kind of job, or until I hit my last real big pay increase (should be early August, no later than the 15th) I will probably not be able to play TPA any earlier than the end of August or hopefully no later than the end of September, which really, really sucks.

The last couple of months has been really tough as I kind of go through pinball arcade withdrawls, ha ha ha. There has been so many times I've wanted to fire up the PS3 and play TPA when I don't have anything else to do or compete in the last tournament and this one it just really sucks I have not been able to. So to all those competing in the tournament, especially capslock42 and maezun, great luck and great scores and hopefully at some point very soon I will be back and having a lot of fun battling it out with you guys.

Last edited:

sukmytoe2

May 14, 2014
Had crashes on three tables on various occasions - Star Trek, Harley (twice) and Monster Bash (twice). On all occasions I had a high score and am highly frustrated because I have limited time to play during the week :(
With Harley the ball gets stuck in the bike and won't come out, with Monster Bash I have no clue where it gets stuck (the scoop I guess) - with both Harley and Monster Bash the problem comes for me with multiball action where a ball gets stuck. Anyways I am enjoying myself relearning to play differently with the timer.

nstalkie

Jun 30, 2013
Same here on Star Trek. I've had so many good games lost due to the ROM itself crashing (only once in the tournament though, talking about regular games here. I bet it's an actual issue with the ROM and not something FarSight can easily do something about). I've also lost a good score on Space Shuttle due to the leaderboards being inaccessible at some point (would have been 6th instead of 11th at the time). I found a strategy that worked pretty well for me so I score a little more consistent, but never reached that score again afterwards and got a little frustrated :).

I'm not really going for the number 1 spot anyway, just wanted to gauge how well I do in a Gold level tournament. I was 6th overall when I checked yesterday evening.
I'm sure as hell not going to play any more Goin' Nuts in order to get higher up in the rankings :) (getting a good score on that one and Space Shuttle would boost me up quite a bit).

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've reached 'that' point in my scores for the tourney. If I'm improving on any of them, it's not by a significant amount. Some tables, like Space Shuttle, I simply have yet to have a good game on. Other tables, like AFM and ST:TNG, I'm not aware of how to ratchet up the scores to the levels I'm seeing, but can hit the 20 minute mark. I really don't enjoy playing Goin' Nuts or Harley, so I'm sure there's room for improvement there, just no desire! I do need to give Whirlwind some more love, as my score that was just fine 2 days ago has now been dwarfed.

After this is over, I'd love to hear the top people's strategies they used for the timed tourney. Actually I'd love to hear them now so I could implement it!

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
The Speed-O-Meter multiball lost count still happens on HD, despite the megapatch.

I was stuck, call attendant didn't work, 500M score, 6 minutes and 3 balls left.

Other tables, like AFM and ST:TNG, I'm not aware of how to ratchet up the scores to the levels I'm seeing, but can hit the 20 minute mark. I really don't enjoy playing Goin' Nuts or Harley

For info, how much are the top scores on these tables in the Gold tier?

Last edited:

nstalkie

Jun 30, 2013
Gold level tournament top scores

Space Shuttle: 9.615.320
Whirlwind: 83.038.670
Harley: 689.524.640
Monster Bash: 1.636.961.330
Attack from Mars: 46.278.404.710
Star Trek: 16.029.877.190
Centaur: 12.088.130
Goin' Nuts: 5.798.870

current leader: Sir_Moovenstein
(I'm in 7th place now)

Krakehz

Nov 6, 2013
Oh great, scored 10,746,00 on centaur witch would have put me in 4th place on the table and the score resetted at 10 mil and it posted a 746,000 score, sigh :s , how did those guys post a score of 10 mil + when it resets ? or am i just unlucky in it bugging out for me ?

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Oh great, scored 10,746,00 on centaur witch would have put me in 4th place on the table and the score resetted at 10 mil and it posted a 746,000 score, sigh :s , how did those guys post a score of 10 mil + when it resets ? or am i just unlucky in it bugging out for me ?

I don't know. I had Centaur bug twice in a row last night (the first 2 times I played it in the tourney). The game wouldn't count my bonus and the timer stopped, so I couldn't even post a score. And one of those was even higher than yours. I think I ended up settling on my third game for over 7,000,000.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Gold level tournament top scores

Space Shuttle: 9.615.320
Whirlwind: 83.038.670
Harley: 689.524.640
Monster Bash: 1.636.961.330
Attack from Mars: 46.278.404.710
Star Trek: 16.029.877.190
Centaur: 12.088.130
Goin' Nuts: 5.798.870

current leader: Sir_Moovenstein
(I'm in 7th place now)

Thanks!!

It's just to see how good is the first player in the Silver Tourney... I'm currently second with 686 points and the first has 714 points...

Whirlwind: ~119 millions (!!!)
Attack from Mars: ~49 billions

And the others highscores:

Space Shuttle: ~8.2 millions
Harley: ~654 millions
Monster Bash: ~1.4 billion
ST: TNG : ~11 billions
Centaur: ~11 million
Goin' Nuts: ~5.2 million

Current leader: smbdayp

That's the first (and last) tourney I can play on all tables (thanks to the delay of FT and BR in Europe... :p ) and what I can say, is that more than skill, tourney is much about hope!

Yep, hard to keep the faith, when a day, you're in a solid 2nd place in overall ranking (not far behind the first), with the first place on 3 tables. But the day after, you have minus 30 points, because a skilled guy of nowhere beat your highscores!

I really thought that my 46.2 billions on AFM and my 600 millions on HD wouldn't be beaten (only one more video mode). :p

Wow, it's a tough competition. :cool:

Last edited:

smbaydp

Jan 16, 2014
Thanks for noticing! Had an amazing STTNG game with a looonnnggg final frontier, solid Borg round and 2 warp 9.9 runs.

Good luck for the rest of the tournament!

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Thanks for noticing! Had an amazing STTNG game with a looonnnggg final frontier, solid Borg round and 2 warp 9.9 runs.

Good luck for the rest of the tournament!

You're welcome!

I think Chopin6868 didn't say his last word (he can still ameliorate his scores on a couple of tables) and you too, on HD and MB if I remember well.

But for my part, I used all my remaining bullets. :p (maybe Goin' Nuts, and Whirlwind... but I suck on this one -currently 11th)

I don't think I will keep the 2nd place until the tourney ends (especially if Chopin reacts), so I just want to secure the 3rd place (your 49B score on AFM killed me! lol)

Last edited:

Shadowrider49

May 27, 2012
In the Silver Tournament ....I think I am in 8th spot. Can't believe that I am still up there. Could do better in Star Trek and Centaur.....but overall managed top 15 scores on most of the tables. Hope I can hang on in the top 20! Good luck to everyone!! Time limit tournaments are definitely the way to go. Gives hope to those who don't know all the ins and outs of each table.

pibawiz61

Jun 10, 2013
Soo, as I thought I had too less time (was on Holiday) to do better this time in silver tourney. What annoyed me: One the two tabels (the other is centaur) I thought I do good is after patching a nuisance. It is Space Shuttle. Plays like standing on too long back legs. Too steep, too fast. Far away from the original, far away from the disc version (Williams Pinball Classics). No fun to play if one knows the Original. Much too often balls in the outlanes. Yep, I am angry. This was a nice table. Is not any longer.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
SILVER Results (Top 21 moved on to Gold Level)
Note: I have the feeling it did not update the last "round" of scores; I made a massive improvement in one of the tables just before the tourney ended, I was waiting for the scores to update (it showed the old one for quite some time, then it became "None", and it doesn't look like my rank was updated). Disclosure: I am the 'Byte' in Byte_n_Cob.

01. Ouazegaga - 713.78
02. Chopin6868 - 703.00
03. smbaydp - 701.89
04. T-RABB1T87 - 672.22
05. MADMDA - 661.72
06. Pitchoune520 - 660.56
07. nrlnd - 632.56
08. Shadowrider49 - 629.06
09. WulfTown - 625.78
10. dano88rcr - 625.17
11. switch3flip - 624.00
12. squareinthenuts - 614.67
13. elvi32001 - 604.94
14. bigDPDX - 604.17
15. thehosk85 - 602.61
16. ROBBO19391970 - 601.83
17. massivedust - 597.00
18. bertje1981 - 596.00
19. ACEmonster - 594.44
20. dmof0knows - 591.72
21. Byte_n_Cob - 587.83

Edit: there is more evidence for the last set of scores not being counted; I had the same score 587.83 at 3:53pm ADT when my Monster Bash score was included. I know this because I took a picture of the screen. After that I improved Whirlwind, I'd say jumping about 10 places or so on the ranking, but the final score is still 587.83. The score was absolutely, positively set before the tournament ended.

Last edited:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Wow, I just took the 1st place at the end! :p (Ouazegaga)

Yesterday night, take the lead on Goin' Nuts changed everything. I didn't expect to (I wanted only to improve my score) but everything went right (3.8M to 5.4M).

The fact that the tourney ends during evening in Europe (19h17 GMT - 21h17 CET) was an advantage: I reached the first place on ST:TNG (14B -14 artifacts and 2 Final Frontier) at 18h30 GMT (20h30 CET), giving me 17 points more and taking 10 points from smbaydp (who was first before).

Well, that was fun to compete on all tables (the next tourney, there will be at least 2 tables from the season 3, so I guess I will go back directly to Silver tier ^^)

By the way, win the tourney gave me 200 points more in the All-time ranking.

TMC

Oct 1, 2012
Stoked I made it into the gold (massivedust)
I had to quit going nuts mid game to goto work. I was ranked like 25th before that. lucky break at the last minute.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
I'm kicking myself in the foot for not coming back to this. Just played a bit to give myself a base score on every table. Also, if like to know how they choose what tables will be in the tournament. It was a
Surprise to see whirlwind, but also refreshing. As I love that table but rarely ever play it. Then there's the obvious downers, Goin nuts, Harley Davidson. The other one that could've been utilized more was space shuttle.

All I'm saying with this is, to get a better lineup for the next one. MB was perfect. Even centaur is a good one for a tourney, just make it all new tables next time. There are upwards of 40 to chose from. Don't bone us with the same nonsense. Right?

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
If I was forced to chose 6 tables for a tourney it would be...

1 big shot
2 white water
3 creature
4 black hole
5 fish tales
6 RBION
7 (an oddball like el durado)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.