New Stern Pinball Arcade: AC/DC Kickstarter is FULLY FUNDED!!!

wolfson

May 24, 2013
2 miracles in a week,Leicester winning the EPL and ACCA DACCA !!!stone the bloody crows,i said my cup was always half full,from now on MY CUP IS ALWAYS FULL !!! whoever ,whatever and any other ever,from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH !!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
I hope the version we get has a downstairs playfield with the funny Iron Man targets in, instead of just the ugly Angus face.

My only complaint about recent Sterns has been their multi-version nonsense which involves just stripping away a feature and calling it a pro - can you imagine playing a Scared Stiff without the backglass spinning spider?

Exciting times indeed. I hope they think about releasing all the Stern back catalogue : so many great games. Spiderman! Lord of the Rings! Simpsons Pinball Party! Family Guy! Batman Dark Knight!

woop woop woop

invitro

May 4, 2012
I hope the version we get has a downstairs playfield with the funny Iron Man targets in, instead of just the ugly Angus face.

My only complaint about recent Sterns has been their multi-version nonsense which involves just stripping away a feature and calling it a pro - can you imagine playing a Scared Stiff without the backglass spinning spider?

Exciting times indeed. I hope they think about releasing all the Stern back catalogue : so many great games. Spiderman! Lord of the Rings! Simpsons Pinball Party! Family Guy! Batman Dark Knight!

It seems that Farsight will be making the Premium versions, and maybe the LE (LE AC/DC was mentioned as a reward, and someone official said it would be purchasable, I'm pretty sure). It looks like we won't get the Pro versions. I'd rather have both Pro and Premium/LE but I guess it's no big deal. (Farsight if you're listening, I would pay, say, $2 for the Pro if I'd already paid $10 for the Premium. If the LE doesn't have playfield/ROM differences from the Premium, I'd pay $0 to $1 for it.)

It's just speculation of course, but it looks like there won't be any of the back catalog in SPA, at least for a while, defining back catalog as up to 2011/Transformers. Reasons: none have been announced, a Farsight dude said SPA releases would be released more slowly than TPA tables, there are plenty of 2012-present Stern tables to make. I want to see the 2000-2011 tables too, but honestly I have quite bated breath for the 2012-present tables and don't mind if it's a couple of years until they get to the earlier ones.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Agreed. This is hopefully just the tip of the iceberg. Congrats to Farsight for securing this deal!
Yes, congrats indeed, and to Stern as well. I have a slight feeling that SPA will be unexpectedly popular, with the non-TPA tables selling maybe double the number of the TPA DMD tables, even with the higher $10 price. So much curiosity and excitement.

thefly0810

Feb 13, 2014
a Farsight dude said SPA releases would be released more slowly than TPA tables.

I'm glad to hear this. It brings me hope that SPA tables will be a lot more polished upon release when compared to TPA. And this would mean Farsight should have the time to patch and fix any existing bugs on SPA before rushing fully into the next table. It's been one of my biggest criticisms of Farsight. I've been vocal for the past couple of years that I wished FS would take a month or two break between TPA seasons, catch their breath and try to fix the problems on the past tables, and make sure table releases are equal on all platforms rather than feel the need to have a monthly release schedule. Start every TPA season in October with their Halloween table, and end it with the 10th table in July, then use August and September to catch up.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
The partnership is not magical, it is indeed a 3rd party. For some reason you can't wrap your brain around legal matters and the time it might take for all parties to agree on joint statements, instead spouting your aggravated agenda. NDA clauses are in effect, and you the consumer are not owed any explanations. For curiosities sake I hope we find out some of what happened, but if we don't, who cares? A Kickstarter was avoided, and maybe a path has been shown that will allow FarSight to not need another. Or maybe not. Enjoy the moment and quit trying to piss on everything. PinWiz has warned you, I'm doing the same. I don't mind constructive criticism of TPA at all. I do mind conspiracy theories that lower the IQ of this forum.

I'm still confused as to how Farsight canceling the Kickstarter (and thus having the donations go back to everyone) was a "BS money grab".
Isn't that the complete opposite of a money grab?

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
I'm glad to hear this. It brings me hope that SPA tables will be a lot more polished upon release when compared to TPA. And this would mean Farsight should have the time to patch and fix any existing bugs on SPA before rushing fully into the next table. It's been one of my biggest criticisms of Farsight.
The same team that's creating TPA will work on SPA. So instead of releasing one TPA table each month, now they also have to work on the SPA tables to get them out.

Unless more people get hired this will mean there is less time to fix bugs, not more.

I'm still confused as to how Farsight canceling the Kickstarter (and thus having the donations go back to everyone) was a "BS money grab".

He wasn't talking about the cancellation of the KS, both about setting up a KS while they had a partnership with Stern.

Last edited:

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
So does anyone know, are all the Stern titles since 2012 gonna be made, including rereleased Spiderman and Walking Dead?

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
I would imagine anything released from Star Trek on would have this digital license deal. So potentially:

Mustang
Walking Dead
WrestleMania
Kiss
Game of Thrones
Whoa Nellie
Spiderman Vault Edition

Hoping Metallica is part of that deal too since that's a fantastic music table as well.

BTW if they're doing the AC/DC Premium model I'm putting in a request for the Luci edition instead of the normal premium:

image-1.jpg

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'm hoping to see the pro and premium versions of these modern Sterns. For the most part, I prefer the premium version (such as AC/DC). But there are a couple of them where I actually prefer the pro version. Played both versions of Game of Thrones yesterday. And my buddy and I both preferred the pro model. The premium has a mini playfield in the upper left that was kind of boring and blocked the view of a large portion of the table. The pro seemed faster, better looking, and more fun in comparison. YMMV

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
The face!

If I understand it, the base version for the kickstarter was actually AC/DC Premium. (I hope so, because the Pro is both ugly and not as fun.) The LE plays just like the Premium with a few cosmetic adjustments.

Remember all the outcry over THE FACE on the Pro when table initally launched? Haha

invitro

May 4, 2012
I'm hoping to see the pro and premium versions of these modern Sterns. For the most part, I prefer the premium version (such as AC/DC). But there are a couple of them where I actually prefer the pro version. Played both versions of Game of Thrones yesterday. And my buddy and I both preferred the pro model. The premium has a mini playfield in the upper left that was kind of boring and blocked the view of a large portion of the table. The pro seemed faster, better looking, and more fun in comparison. YMMV

A relevant quote from Farsight on the kickstarter page: "For now, we are only focusing on the premium versions. It is possible that we will digitize LE versions in the future."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/stern-pinball-arcade-ac-dc/comments

invitro

May 4, 2012
Thanks for the heads up.
Make sure to note Gorgar's addition. I goofed a bit, I meant to address only Pro vs Premium as that's what was asked about, and forgot that the note about LE was out-of-date. :( Thanks, Gorgar! (Summary: SPA will have the Premium versions, but not the Pro versions, and will have an LE version as a purchasable upgrade.)

Here are two more questions with Farsight's answers, copied from the Kickstarter page:

- Mike Smith: How much is the LE version going to cost? Because the only difference between the Premium and LE version of the table is some added 'bling' and a shaker motor, the gameplay and romset are exactly the same. Which LE version is it going to be; Let There be Rock or Back in Black?
- FS: @Mike Smith, we will announce which LE versions at some point with more details.

- Mike Gervasi: I've backed a lot of these tables. I only hope you make it the Premium [AC/DC] with the mini PF. Otherwise you'll be cutting modes and features.
- FS: @Mike Gervasi, We are digitizing the version that includes the mini playfield.

And one more quick note, it looks like Star Trek will have an LE too, not just AC/DC, based on the $150 tier: "Everything from the $100 Gold Club tier PLUS an LE Edition upgrade to Stern Pinball Arcade Table Pack One (will include LE editions of Star Trek® and AC/DC®) on up to FIVE Platforms of your choice (can be gifted)."

I note that mentioning AC/DC in SPA Pack One must have been a bug? Although if it's coming sooner now, it might be in Pack One, I guess.

I know, none of this is news, it's all easy to get, but I know I forget things sometimes...

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
If anyone would like to start a "Here's what we know" thread that they could update the original post as things solidify into fact, I'd be happy to sticky it. Putting the questions/response is a great way of showing the context of the answer too.

invitro

May 4, 2012
If anyone would like to start a "Here's what we know" thread that they could update the original post as things solidify into fact, I'd be happy to sticky it. Putting the questions/response is a great way of showing the context of the answer too.

I've been thinking about it. I think it might be a lot of work and so probably not. But anyway, I was trying to think of all the sources of official Farsight/TPA/SPA information, here's the beginning of a list:

- their Facebook page
- Kickstarters
- their posts to PAF
- interviews on shutyertrap's podcast
- other interviews?
- TPA discussion group on Steam?
- their news/update pages on Steam
- Stern's facebook page
- twitter?
- the game files (of course)
- their twitch broadcasts
- press releases