New table price season 3

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
i think the point is if farsight had to redevlop the rereleases from scratch table packs would have been somewhat more expensive mostoy likely double the current price.

people needa loose the mobile software is cheap mentallity. play a real machine and five bucks doesnt last long.

the wording if the facebook post might be marketing speak but people see conspriacy where yhere is none lol.

come on guys

That may all be true but they still lied to us. We discussed this earlier in this thread. No matter how you add it up they either lied to us in the beginning or they lied to us when they announced the third season and came up with the "free" table malarkey. But generally I like the game too much to get hung up on this. At this point it is what it is. Buy it if you think its a fair value. Don't buy it if you think its not worth it. I don't really understand all of the discussion about the pricing. Buy it or don't buy it. Simple.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
No matter what they say, it probably is just simple business math. They need a certain amount coming in to keep the doors open. This new model also combats the buyers that like to pick and choose which tables to buy. Because if you only buy half, you paid almost as much as someone who got the season pass.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
No matter what they say, it probably is just simple business math. They need a certain amount coming in to keep the doors open. This new model also combats the buyers that like to pick and choose which tables to buy. Because if you only buy half, you paid almost as much as someone who got the season pass.

I wish they would have just said that.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
I find it a bit annoying the price point for many ios apps and IAP now seems to be around the $5 mark. During Christmas holiday I picked up about a dozen apps on sale for 99 cents...so really, there is just more incentive to wait for the sales. Of course, TPA never goes on sale. So I gotta pony up my $5. :p

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
If it's such minimal work and all the licensing is already paid for then why not re-release sorcerer. They made it sound that if they issued that table it would not take away from the number of tables left they could make by Williams. For that matter they might as well sprinkle jibe time and the rest into the mix.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
If it's such minimal work and all the licensing is already paid for then why not re-release sorcerer. They made it sound that if they issued that table it would not take away from the number of tables left they could make by Williams. For that matter they might as well sprinkle jibe time and the rest into the mix.

Again i think that is BS, i wish i could find the post but im 99% sure i read that they said they re-did all the artwork and models for all the re-released tables, just as much work went into the new tables as the re-released tables and wasnt a simple 'quick cash in' and that came from one of the developers

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I wish they would have just said that.
I agree.

Yes and yes. If it's not much more effort and cost, then I'd like to see Sorcerer, Jive Time, and Ace High. Right on Bowflex

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
It's a faulty argument though.
I'm behind the times, and just now noticed this. But that blog post was intended to just establish that real pinball can be an expensive hobby. If you're going to make direct comparisons between real pinball and TPA, better to compare the cost for a league season to a TPA season. People who are able and willing to pay multiple thousands of dollars for a real machine are few and far between, and we realize that we are not typical consumers of pinball and can't expect others to follow in our footsteps.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Again i think that is BS, i wish i could find the post but im 99% sure i read that they said they re-did all the artwork and models for all the re-released tables, just as much work went into the new tables as the re-released tables and wasnt a simple 'quick cash in' and that came from one of the developers

You are absolutely correct. I will vouch for that fact but it would be a huge undertaking to find the original posting. Farsight forgot the first rule of posting on the internet...whatever you post stays there forever. Plus our memories are not that short.

Baramos

Aug 18, 2013
I think the fairest price point would be a lower one for the season pass. Like $25 instead of $30.

And no, they NEVER advertised the reworked HOF tables as "free" in any Season 1 or 2 Pass I bought. It just said, "You also get whatever". It didn't say, "You also get whatever included free with your purchase!" or what have you.

It also implies one is inferior to the other or the real reason I would buy a pack. If I were to buy Pack 5 for instance it would never have been for Harley Davidson, it would have been for Taxi. And yet Taxi is the "free" table? I consider HD to be the one tacked-on in this instance.

The truth is that I would take both tables into consideration when buying a pack, not just the one they consider to be the one I am actually purchasing.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013

That's a load of Big Shot!

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
They may not have advertised the Hall of Fame tables as free, but I also don't recall the standalone kickstarter releases being referred to as "premium" - that was more an assumption people made because they were kickstarter tables.

The fact is that the re-release tables did mean less work for them and it also meant a bigger library of tables and perception of value for money getting a two-table pack. Either way I don't think anyone is getting ripped off here. I can't see how Fish Tales as a standalone app for £2.99 isn't a good deal given the work that went into producing it and I'm sure most will agree that the quality control is better thus far.

I'm hoping we'll see some emulation added to older releases and some lingering bugs in Scared Stiff and Cirqus Voltaire fixed, but I don't think a few bucks is worth quibbling about.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
They may not have advertised the Hall of Fame tables as free, but I also don't recall the standalone kickstarter releases being referred to as "premium" - that was more an assumption people made because they were kickstarter tables.

The fact is that the re-release tables did mean less work for them and it also meant a bigger library of tables and perception of value for money getting a two-table pack. Either way I don't think anyone is getting ripped off here. I can't see how Fish Tales as a standalone app for £2.99 isn't a good deal given the work that went into producing it and I'm sure most will agree that the quality control is better thus far.

I'm hoping we'll see some emulation added to older releases and some lingering bugs in Scared Stiff and Cirqus Voltaire fixed, but I don't think a few bucks is worth quibbling about.

I don't think too many people are quibbling about the actual price or value. Again, it comes back to the fact that individual tables were being sold. Older tables like Gorgar, Black Hole and Black Knight went for less money ($1.99) but more technologically advanced tables (anything that was alphanumeric or DMD) went for $2.99 regardless of whether they were a PHOF reissue or not. The "free table" line was BS because if that were the case, then there would be no option to buy No Good Gofers for any price and the $2.99 they were charging for Elvira and the Party Monsters should have included it.
I don't know whether or not Farsight ever referred to Twilight Zone or Star Trek TNG as "Premium" but it was, and is, implied by the pricing model of being $4.99 when every other table offered was only $2.99 or less. It is still implied by the fact that they charge an additional $4.99 for a pro version when every other pro-version enhancement is $3.99 or less.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I was under the impression that they dumped selling individual tables after the initial release - I certainly don't recall having an option to buy anything other than the whole pack during the past year or more.

Your comment on the price of the kickstarter tables seems fair though. I backed both campaigns so I didn't pay much attention and though I did end up buying them recently (to avoid the sign-in shuffle every update - honestly wasn't there a better way to do that?) the price is in UK£ and I can't remember what it was now.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
All tables were available as individual purchases until pack 11 on iOS, Android, and Kindle. The PS3 and X360 were always just pack releases and other platforms did not exist until later.

Chellspecker

Apr 20, 2013
i just throw money at them. It seems to work. The Pinball Arcade is my all-time most-played favourite iPad game, so I don't complain. I just wish I could beat my Black Rose high score. THAT I would pay good money for. Anyone know a good pinball tutor?

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
i just throw money at them. It seems to work. The Pinball Arcade is my all-time most-played favourite iPad game, so I don't complain.

This is completely the wrong attitude to take with this game. You can't just decide the game is a good value, pay it, and then enjoy it. You dare not, should not, and must not take that easy road. Like any responsible Pinball Arcade player you must see how much is being charged per season, how many tables were in each season, break out each individual table price, and then quantify that price by the pre-conceived enjoyment you think you may or may not have with each of those tables. When you get that number you then must compare that to what Farsight has said about some tables being free or what not and then tally up all these numbers and plug them in to the Curmudgeon formula.

I'll cut to the chase. You wind up with a value of "angry".

So foo on your simple minded "I like pinball. I think I'll buy it. Hey this game is pretty fun!" attitude. You're doing it wrong!

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
This is completely the wrong attitude to take with this game. You can't just decide the game is a good value, pay it, and then enjoy it. You dare not, should not, and must not take that easy road. Like any responsible Pinball Arcade player you must see how much is being charged per season, how many tables were in each season, break out each individual table price, and then quantify that price by the pre-conceived enjoyment you think you may or may not have with each of those tables. When you get that number you then must compare that to what Farsight has said about some tables being free or what not and then tally up all these numbers and plug them in to the Curmudgeon formula.

I'll cut to the chase. You wind up with a value of "angry".

So foo on your simple minded "I like pinball. I think I'll buy it. Hey this game is pretty fun!" attitude. You're doing it wrong!

Personally I've always thought TPA was underpriced compared to the amount of play time and fun I get out of it. A single table can last me 5-10 hours of pure enjoyment, not counting the time I spend when going back to the table and rediscovering it after a few months, so I think paying even £6.49 (or thereabouts) for the pro version on PS3 is very reasonable.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
I'd rather pay 2.99 per table than 4.99 per table, but meh, what are ya gonna do? Gotta get my pinball.

Dec 7, 2013
I haven't been following the thread so excuse me if this post is out of place.

I don't mind the single releases as long as the quality is as high as Black Rose and Fish Tales.

To me the last few releases prior to season 3 were really sub par.

Give me 1 amazing table vs 2 sub par ones any day of the week.

We saw this coming. If you thought they were truly breaking down 2 tables per month, you were kind of naive.

Yeah I know what Farsight said but I've learned over the years to take anything they say with a grain, excuse me, a canister of salt. If they were doing 2 complete tear downs then no way would all the table 2's have been "re-releases" and if that wasn't clear, it should have been after Goin Nuts. I remember people suggesting the Pinball hall of fame shipped them a Goin nuts to tear down... Sure... That should have been the final red flag.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.