New UI Discussion

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
It looks like a huge step backward. Hopefully Farsight will implement this as slowly as they do everything else :).

I think that, on the contrary, anything is a step forward from the Windows 3.1 look of the current interface with actual folders sitting on the desktop. This one puts it to about Windows 98?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Not a big fan of the new UI. I want to be able to see the tables and artwork. Seeing a generic pinball doesn't really make me want to play a table.

It looks like a huge step backward. Hopefully Farsight will implement this as slowly as they do everything else :).

Let me make this perfectly clear. These are but a tiny portion of the screens. What you are seeing here is the selection screen. From there you will be taken to a screen that shows you what the actual table looks like. The other screen, with the 'random table' button, that is so you can get playing immediately and quickly.

Again, this is just a taste, and is not the finalized version. There are some surprises to be had, customization, and ways for you to connect with your friends much easier. Leaderboards, online, tourneys, ball selection...it is all being improved upon to make it easier and quicker to view the way YOU want to view it. When I was first shown what you are seeing, I thought it was an improvement, but didn't blow my mind. Then I saw some of the other screens and my jaw hit the floor. FS is working with some of us, they've looked at the history of what people want with the UI, give them the benefit of the doubt.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
I'm guessing the token might be for use on a pin you haven't bought yet. Sort of an extended preview to help get you to buy that pin. Just a guess though.

What net said would make sense too.

I hadn't thought of this! That's a good idea.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
When I was first shown what you are seeing, I thought it was an improvement, but didn't blow my mind. Then I saw some of the other screens and my jaw hit the floor. FS is working with some of us, they've looked at the history of what people want with the UI, give them the benefit of the doubt.
Based on exactly what should we give them the benefit of the doubt? I don't mean to be harsh but they've been working on this "new awesome improved UI" for what? A year? And the first screens released are kinda half-baked with placeholder text and so on? The last change to the UI was a step backward. Farsight doesn't have a great track record in the UI area for us to base "giv(ing) them the benefit of the doubt" on.

Like I said, I like the changes but the screens shown so far are hardly a radically great improvement nor do they necessarily look like something that took a year to develop.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
Based on exactly what should we give them the benefit of the doubt? I don't mean to be harsh but they've been working on this "new awesome improved UI" for what? A year? And the first screens released are kinda half-baked with placeholder text and so on? The last change to the UI was a step backward. Farsight doesn't have a great track record in the UI area for us to base "giv(ing) them the benefit of the doubt" on.

Like I said, I like the changes but the screens shown so far are hardly a radically great improvement nor do they necessarily look like something that took a year to develop.

It's worth giving them the benefit of the doubt because you're not looking at a finished product. It's not entirely fair to criticize a chef by saying that his/her food looks awful when it hasn't even come out of the oven yet. When they "serve" the UI to us, then praise or criticize it as is fair. I'm glad they're giving us a sneak peak into the "kitchen."

(I hasten to add that Olive Garden references in response to the analogy in this post are strictly forbidden. :) )

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Only if the menu showed pictures of or described half-baked pastries, raw steaks, and other unplated, unfinished works in progress.

Or moldy breadsticks, greasy stuffed chicken breast, pasta noodles stuck together hanging over the plate, etc...

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

Based on shutyertrap saying that he's seen other screens and he says they're cool! Good enough for me.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Based on shutyertrap saying that he's seen other screens and he says they're cool! Good enough for me.

Once again, brakel has my back!

I can only say so much without breaking my NDA. Suffice it to say, I am speaking from a point of view that the majority are not privy to. Feel free to come at me once it is released should any feel I was blowing smoke up their bums. Myself, I'm not worried that I'll be needing to defend myself in a short while.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Once again, brakel has my back!

I can only say so much without breaking my NDA. Suffice it to say, I am speaking from a point of view that the majority are not privy to. Feel free to come at me once it is released should any feel I was blowing smoke up their bums. Myself, I'm not worried that I'll be needing to defend myself in a short while.

Sounds good enough to me.

Like you keep saying, these are development screens! Personally, I think it was good of FarSight to show these. I can't think of many other developers that would show WIP screens of a UI.

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
I'm sure they're really going to be anxious to "share" in the future...

"You wanna post some mock-ups?" "Sure, why not..."

*cue the angry mob with pitch forks*
"Get 'em...rawr"

I'm personally going to trust someone "in the know" for now and see what happens, it's not like my screen will melt or anything. Thanks S-Y-T for the tip :)

Umm anyway, I like the new look but do feel like each update takes the table browser away from the glorious outside of the cabinet to a place with little teensy icons.

Suggested Solution: Hack in a "detail window" that shows a nice fly-around the outside of the cabinet, with basic zoom and view controls (yes I really want to look around the outside of the cabinets while choosing one) when a table is selected in the browser list.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Definitely looks much better to me, miles better then the square zen boxes.
I like how it matches the new website style.
I do wonder whether the overhaul includes the "Swipe" & "Select" sounds being updated/removed too? Along with the background music? If not would be happy with an option to turn them off completely, never been a fan of the sounds, and never heard a good thing about the music. Maybe instead of background music,, just have a startup sound when TPA starts, like when you turn a console on/Windows starts - just an idea.

With regards to having a ball style icon to select the table, and being able to see the playfield at the same time, although the actual gameplay is no match for TPA I do think the Pinball HD titles by OOO Gameprom on iOS do this really well, probably my favourite interface on a pinball game, modern looking, nice and simple.

sezf.jpg

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I'm sure they're really going to be anxious to "share" in the future...

"You wanna post some mock-ups?" "Sure, why not..."

*cue the angry mob with pitch forks*
"Get 'em...rawr"

I'm personally going to trust someone "in the know" for now and see what happens, it's not like my screen will melt or anything. Thanks S-Y-T for the tip :)

Umm anyway, I like the new look but do feel like each update takes the table browser away from the glorious outside of the cabinet to a place with little teensy icons.

Suggested Solution: Hack in a "detail window" that shows a nice fly-around the outside of the cabinet, with basic zoom and view controls (yes I really want to look around the outside of the cabinets while choosing one) when a table is selected in the browser list.

The thing is, the more machines they add to the title, the less space they have for this kind of thing. It would be nice to have a nice image of the table, but they have less and less space for this.

shoelacious

Sep 28, 2013
Personally, I think it was good of FarSight to show these. I can't think of many other developers that would show WIP screens of a UI.

Well, why not? They've been selling a WIP product all this time...

This UI mock-up looks very Zen, to me. FS should try something original. It's not so hard to use a different (cleaner, functional, attractive) design---such as a list, or the actual table logos. The knee-jerk reliance on square/circular icons, which here do not match the content, is the definition of "cookie cutter," and a bit pathetic. Looks like a little Work went into the mock-ups, but nothing I would call Thought.

FS ought to look at all the negative reactions to iTunes (as a music player), and think twice before leaping four-footedly up the back of that tile-centric bandwagon. They're getting a bit long in the ears.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

This UI mock-up looks very Zen, to me. FS should try something original. It's not so hard to use a different (cleaner, functional, attractive) design---such as a list, or the actual table logos. The knee-jerk reliance on square/circular icons, which here do not match the content, is the definition of "cookie cutter," and a bit pathetic. Looks like a little Work went into the mock-ups, but nothing I would call Thought.

FS ought to look at all the negative reactions to iTunes (as a music player), and think twice before leaping four-footedly up the back of that tile-centric bandwagon. They're getting a bit long in the ears.

So we can expect your much better mock-up when?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012

The "tile" view shown in that mockup will not be the only view available for selecting tables.

And actually, considerable thought has gone into this UI so that it can support both present and future features. Remember that this is just one screen of many that will be needed, and also that this UI needs to work on screen sizes ranging from tiny phones to big-screen TVs (and in both portrait and landscape orientations, too).

I'm willing to send FS a treatment (gratis = a very rough one), if you or they will oblige me with a recipient.

Happy holidays, everyone!
That would be up to FarSight to decide, not us. The intellectual property situation would be unclear at that point.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts