New XBOX (XBox One)

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
They're doing what all companies do when they become to too bloated, to insular, and to arrogant. They begin to TELL the customer what they want, instead of listening to what they want. It usually does not end well for the company.

2 comments to this:

1. MS has always been like this. And now they are treating every single potential Xbone owner like a criminal-in-waiting, which has finally made it obvious to a lot more people. (BTW - I'm bet the internet's semi-official term for the feeling that comes over someone who get's screwed by MS's Draconian DRM policies or ends up with a bricked Xbox One system will be "XBONED")

2. Telling the customer what they want isn't always the sign of a bad or even over-confident company, it all depends on what market you're in. Ferrari tells the customer what they want all the time, and the world either says "Yes, please", or "Another thing I can't afford", every time, and they end up with a year long waiting list. Obviously they'll do a bunch of customization work to make your interior just how you want it and etc. when you do order, so the comparison isn't perfect, but, like I said, it all depends on the market, intent, and track record (and MS goes 0-for-3 on this one).

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
At the end of the day, I can see a bunch of people switching from 360 to PS4 simply because brand recognition alone doesn't cut it anymore. I switched from PS1 to PS2 because it was the obvious choice with every PS1 game being compatable with the PS2, I switched from PS2 to Xbox 360 because they removed the backwards compatibility so both consoles required building a new library from scratch so I chose the 'best' at the start of the generation. Right now there is no reason to buy an Xbox One over a PS4 unless I wanted Dead Rising or was a complete brand loyalist, all of my digital content bought over the Xbox store is pretty much worthless and won't carry over so I'd have to start again from scratch.

The Xbox One learned nothing from the previous console war, and offers nothing as a bonus for previous console owners.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I'm having quite a year, ditched iPhone for android and its looking highly likely that this Xbox fanboy will be going playstation this time. Sticking with the iPad though.

Pretty much the same here. Although I have both PS3 and 360 here, I can't envisage any reason for having both a Xbox One and a PS4. So far, on every count (games, DRM, price etc.) the PS4 wins hands-down. Even before the E3 announcements I was most likely to go PS4 just because of Naughty Dog and Team Ico (assuming The Last Guardian isn't vapourware) are Sony exclusive. I don't care for Gears of War or Forza, or even Halo now Bungie have jumped, so MS have no hold over me at all now.

I was talking to a mate of mine the other day and we were both saying how weird it is to simply not care about a Nintendo console... but then we remembered that there will be a new Zelda, a new Metroid and Pikmin 3. All games we desperately want to play. We then decided to buy a Wii U between us and alternate buying those few great games, and keep lending them/it to each other. I can't even see us doing that much with the Xbox One.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
For a long time I had a ps3 and a 360 but the ps3 was gathering dust so I sold it. I'm hoping Nintendo see the light one day and do a sega. It's hard to imagine that Nintendo consoles used to be cutting edge not years behind their competitors.

Sexton Hardcastle

Jun 5, 2013
I haven't yet seen much of a reason to own either an Xbox One OR a PS4... I have a 360, which I don't really use very much (do a lot more gaming on my PC) but if I were to buy one of the next generation of consoles, it's shaping up to be Sony this time. I have no loyalties towards either company, but it seems like MS is really missing the boat this time around.

As this all pertains to TPA on Xbox 360... I gave up long ago. Farsight had the bad luck to go with a company which went bust, and MS has some rules in place which makes it impossible for FS to make any money. If users around here are frustrated by it, I can only imagine how the execs at FS feel.

SH

Sexton Hardcastle

Jun 5, 2013
Please tell me that Sexton Hardcastle is your real name.

Sorry, man. It's no more my name than "Colin Girth" is my name on Xbox Live or Clubber Wang was on Steam. Damn, it's tough to come across as being very mature when I look back at my username history, here...

About 15 years ago, a friend offered me a bet: if I would legally change my name to "Sexton Hardcastle" for one calendar year, he'd pay me $5,000. I was game, but my wife didn't want the shame of being Mrs. Sexton Hardcastle...

Spoilsport.

SH

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
We then decided to buy a Wii U between us and alternate buying those few great games, and keep lending them/it to each other. I can't even see us doing that much with the Xbox One.
Your Xbone probably blows up if your IP address swaps more than 3 times.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
MS has just reversed course on a few of their proposed XB1 policies:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

- An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

- Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

esp2000

Jun 4, 2012
Wonder if they will also change the name to the Xbox One-Eighty. Think it may be too little too late though to reverse the damage already done.

Sexton Hardcastle

Jun 5, 2013
Alright; good on Microsoft for doing this. Of course, they really had no choice, but it's good just the same. For me, it doesn't change anything: I haven't seen much of anything that would make me buy either console yet. Literally, the only thing which would cause me to make that decision is if TPA were only available on console.

And given that option, I'd choose the $100 cheaper PS4 just for the one game.

SH

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
With my main concerns about the One out of the way - I'm leaning towards getting it now.
But I won't budge until I know for sure that it will have the TPA as part of it.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
So much fun watching a company try and backpedal. Be interesting to see if the damage is already done though.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
They've already lost me. And with mandatory kinect they don't have a chance at my money. I mean sony can still blow it for me as well, since I'm moving to them with great trepidation as well

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
To$$ers. Already lost me a while back SB.

Backpedalling like billyoh now! Price? :(

Seriously, I wonder what might have happened if Sony had adopted the same principles. Just doesn't bear thinking about.

Way to go Microsoft. Yeah, I've already shown you the way to go.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I agree with all of what's been said:

-it's clear where MS really wants to go and their hand was forced by a company that listens or at least is trying to listen to gamers (to get the most profit out of it's business mind you, they are definitely not an altruistic business, but still that company has proved since february that it wants to get that big profit by chosing a direction that is in my interest.). Yesterdays news comes across as non-sincere and backpedalling. IT's good news, don't get me wrong, but it's 100% clear this is totally reluctant and against their longterm plans and goals. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....

-Xbox still has a focus on cableboxes which I dont have, or will have.

-PS4 has the more lenient publishing environment, where I can be ensured the game I love won't be hindered by the problems people like Team Meat, Farsight and The Fez-guys ran into.

-PS4 has the faster hardware

-Xbone doesnt have any exclusive I'm dying to play. Mind you, Sony doesnt have a ton either (Infamous and indiegames are my draw), but I will have no regret not playing Titanfall or Dead Rising 3.

-It still has a kinect forced into the SKU, (partly) increasing the price by 100$ over its competitor

To me, MS has absolutly nothing going for it. The DRM was just part of a bigger problem. And thats coming from someone who has 75% of his (third party) games on 360, and only plays PS3 for its exclusives.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I kind of liked the direction they were going with being able to load disc based games to the HDD and then never having to put the disc in. Digital sharing and resales? I like that too. But I compare it to healthcare reform. You can't end pre-existing conditions without having mandatory insurance. You can't load your disc based game onto your HDD and then put it away forever without some majorly clamped down DRM like mandatory internet connection and no used disc sales.

The end result was to take gaming to another place. Getting there was too difficult. What this opens up of course is for a console to come out that has no disc based games...oh, wait. Isn't the Ouya doing what MS was trying to do? But MS was being held back by the reality of disc based games. The Ouya is new. It just is what it is. They don't have to work around disc DRM because there are no discs. If MS had dropped disc based games for this gen they would not have needed the crazy DRM. But because their base players have certain expectations of how they will game, their fate was already decided before they made any announcements.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.