New XBOX (XBox One)

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Meh. I'll just get both since I like games from both Microsoft and Sony. Probably get launch units as well - given how Sony loves to cripple later ones. Though, I'm part of a social group that apparently offers lots of discounts (I've seen $100 off a Vita, $50 off a Wii U (which I got), so I expect at cleast $50 off a PS4 and new Xbox...).

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Yeah, the first thing I noticed when I finally got a PS3 last year was how bloody quiet it is. I was so accustomed to the roar of my 360, so it was quite a stark contrast.

That's similar to how I felt going from the old fat PS3 to the new slim model. I don't know how loud the older 360 is by comparison, but the old PS3 was definitely a lot louder than the new PS3s too.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
And Sony just dropped the mic on MS.

I'll take the 100 bucks cheaper with a grain of salt, as obviously there'll be a version sold with the PS Eye, but the fact you DON'T need to buy it is something great.

Also, I'm bummed that online multiplayer will now cost a monthly fee. That being said, PS+ with it's instant game collection is really a hell of a bargain for those building a library. Unfortunately that's not the way I game anymore. So bad for me, great for others.

And then there's the whole used game thing. Sony just earned a mess of brownie points with that.

Anyone think MicroSoft will blink?

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I wonder how long ms will stand fast and continue to try and convince us that having them peer into our living rooms is the way of the future

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012

I'll take the 100 bucks cheaper with a grain of salt, as obviously there'll be a version sold with the PS Eye, but the fact you DON'T need to buy it is something great.

Also, I'm bummed that online multiplayer will now cost a monthly fee. That being said, PS+ with it's instant game collection is really a hell of a bargain for those building a library. Unfortunately that's not the way I game anymore. So bad for me, great for others.

And then there's the whole used game thing. Sony just earned a mess of brownie points with that.

MSRP on the Eye is only 60 bucks so they would still have them by 40 if you didn't get a package discount

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

To be honest I would still pay the $3.50/month for Plus even if no free games or discounts were given.
I've had a hard drive crash on my original PS3 60GB MGS model due to a bad Samsung 500GB drive. If it wasn't for the cloud save service I would have lost 6 years of game saves on 150+ games.

I see Plus as cheap piece of mind. The auto patching and daily updates are also very convenient.
Don't get me wrong, I love all of the freebies and discounts even though I still prefer to buy physical media over DLC when available.

Hearing that the PS4 will integrate into Plus was probably the best news I heard at E3.
Maybe because I am subbed through 2015. ;)

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Any word from Farsight as to whether they plan to bring TPA to the XBox One? I hope that the legal issues with Crave and the 360 don't have anything to do with their ability to publish it there.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Any word from Farsight as to whether they plan to bring TPA to the XBox One? I hope that the legal issues with Crave and the 360 don't have anything to do with their ability to publish it there.

The same issue they are having now carries over to the Xbone. MS demands a publisher. In order for FarSight to be able to get a new publisher, all issues with previous publisher need to be sorted out. With all the other platforms, FS self publishes, so no issue.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I'm having quite a year, ditched iPhone for android and its looking highly likely that this Xbox fanboy will be going playstation this time. Sticking with the iPad though.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Its all to early to make a decision yet. A LOT can change between now and release day. Should be an interesting 6 months.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Its all to early to make a decision yet. A LOT can change between now and release day. Should be an interesting 6 months.

You're right, I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft lower the price and maybe drop the used game restrictions.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The same issue they are having now carries over to the Xbone. MS demands a publisher. In order for FarSight to be able to get a new publisher, all issues with previous publisher need to be sorted out. With all the other platforms, FS self publishes, so no issue.

They will need a publisher but they are only stuck with Crave if their contract covered future console versions. It still seems to me that they could get out of their contract with Crave based on that Crave (now their creditors) are in breach of contract by not publishing their games per the contract.

As an example if you owned a restaurant and had an exclusive contract with a liquor distributor and that distributor closed due to bankruptcy, the restaurant wouldn't have to stop serving liquor. The liquor distributor would be in breach of their contract and the restaurant would call a different distributor.

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Well, here's their official announcement after the shellacking they took at E3:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...ternet-can-stick-with-xbox-360-says-microsoft

I hope at least Sony has learned their lesson and remove those stupid requirements that are holding back improvements on the PS3.

Sony has to have some quality control in place though. They wouldn't be able to keep up with multiple revisions being released over and over again. Charging for bug fixes is really in the best interest of the consumer for the most part. Plus some game bugs can actually corrupt the PS3 hdd, we don't need that stuff getting past QA.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
From the article:

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it’s called Xbox 360,” said Mattrick.

“If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device.”

Mattrick is aware of the kinds of gamers who’ll be missing out on Xbox One, and “absolutely” anticipated some blowback, but went on to reiterate he feels they have made the right call.

“Seriously, when I read the blogs and thought about who’s really the most impacted there was a person who said, ‘Hey I’m on a nuclear sub.’ And I don’t even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub but I’ve got to imagine it’s not easy to get an internet connection. But hey, I can empathise; if I was on a sub I’d be disappointed.

Wow...that guy sure comes across like a douche.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
They're doing what all companies do when they become to too bloated, to insular, and to arrogant. They begin to TELL the customer what they want, instead of listening to what they want. It usually does not end well for the company.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
From the article:

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it’s called Xbox 360,” said Mattrick.

“If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device.”

Mattrick is aware of the kinds of gamers who’ll be missing out on Xbox One, and “absolutely” anticipated some blowback, but went on to reiterate he feels they have made the right call.

“Seriously, when I read the blogs and thought about who’s really the most impacted there was a person who said, ‘Hey I’m on a nuclear sub.’ And I don’t even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub but I’ve got to imagine it’s not easy to get an internet connection. But hey, I can empathise; if I was on a sub I’d be disappointed.

Wow...that guy sure comes across like a douche.

And always looks like he's wearing his dad's suit.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
They begin to TELL the customer what they want, instead of listening to what they want. It usually does not end well for the company.

To me, that's exactly the difference in the philosophy behind the PS4 and the XBone. Sony are delivering not only what the customer wants, but also what developers have been asking for. Microsoft are telling both what they are getting and charging more for the privilege.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.