New XBOX (XBox One)

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
^ Agree w/ some of what brakel said, we should really be past disc-based games. Discs are a pain. Would have loved to see one of the major consoles go disc-less this gen.

From The Magic Box:

GameStop said they no longer accept pre-orders of launch-day Xbox One consoles, launch day allocation has reached its cap. Polygon reported that each store will have approximately 15 Xbox One consoles, but they have significantly more PS4 at launch, there are around 60 units per store, and they are still accepting preorders of PS4.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
^ Agree w/ some of what brakel said, we should really be past disc-based games. Discs are a pain. Would have loved to see one of the major consoles go disc-less this gen.

From The Magic Box:

Nintendo systems used to be diskless. Nice thing about content being on disk is that you are not at the whim of a drm server. What if yoir old consoke's storage medium fries?. I can still replace most of my old disk based games for a very very low price if they are damaged. If I lose a download only game a generation later, how can I ever play it again? Do you trust ms to keep their servers up forever? What about the tradition of gane archiving? What happens to that? What about bringing a game over to a friend's place? Seriously what's more of a pain, bringing a disk with you in a backpack? Or going over and setting up your online account and waiting an hour or two for the game to download ?

No! Physical media of some sort should be maintained. I even say a return to cart based games given the advances in flash storage.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The bandwidth is simply not there yet to go with a discless system that the masses would embrace. We just downloaded Donkey Kong Country Returns on my boy's 3DS. It took 8 hours for a 6 or 7 gig game! Not to mention if we used internet on any of our other devices during that time, they ran slow as hell too.

Sony says they're trying to crack that nut. To have something take 10 minutes to download so you can get started with the game and it just continues to download while you play. Certainly a start, but that'll still clog up the works for everyone else in the house.

I like physical media. I like buying things from an actual store, rather than over the internet. I like having a rack full of games and displaying them for all to see. It makes me feel like I do own the game and am in control of its contents.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The bandwidth is simply not there yet to go with a discless system that the masses would embrace. We just downloaded Donkey Kong Country Returns on my boy's 3DS. It took 8 hours for a 6 or 7 gig game! Not to mention if we used internet on any of our other devices during that time, they ran slow as hell too.

Sony says they're trying to crack that nut. To have something take 10 minutes to download so you can get started with the game and it just continues to download while you play. Certainly a start, but that'll still clog up the works for everyone else in the house.

I like physical media. I like buying things from an actual store, rather than over the internet. I like having a rack full of games and displaying them for all to see. It makes me feel like I do own the game and am in control of its contents.

I think MS realized that they had to have physical media but wanted to give the discless options to people as well. To do the things that they wanted to do with disc free gaming (but still have discs as an option) they had to put into place the "draconian" DRM policies.

I was like everyone else when MS made their big announcements and didn't understand where MS was coming from. Then when I read further about the disc free options that they were including it made more sense. That is not to say that I want those options. But at least I understood that if they're going to offer options A, B, and C then gamers are going to give up options X and Y. Its a trade off that their player base was not ready to make.

I did have a thought though. They could offer two different xbox models. One that follows their initial plan and one that follows the traditional console route. The biggest problem would be with having to have two different lines of disc based games. Probably would make it untenable.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
They shouldn't have to offer two different models though, it's all in the software. The reason that I have faith in Microsoft's consoles over Sony's is that Microsoft has always been a software company while Sony has made their living being a hardware company. Xbox live was down yesterday but fixed and back up and running in like a half-hour. Sony released a firmware update that has bricked some of their consoles and they don't anticipate having a fix out until the 27th (according to the other thread on that). I have total faith that Microsoft has enough skilled programmers to evolve the Xbox One software over time just like they did with the 360. I'm hoping that they will offer up a hybrid solution like you suggested sooner rather than later as they tweak the software along the way.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
They shouldn't have to offer two different models though, it's all in the software. The reason that I have faith in Microsoft's consoles over Sony's is that Microsoft has always been a software company while Sony has made their living being a hardware company. Xbox live was down yesterday but fixed and back up and running in like a half-hour. Sony released a firmware update that has bricked some of their consoles and they don't anticipate having a fix out until the 27th (according to the other thread on that). I have total faith that Microsoft has enough skilled programmers to evolve the Xbox One software over time just like they did with the 360. I'm hoping that they will offer up a hybrid solution like you suggested sooner rather than later as they tweak the software along the way.

It can always evolve over the life of the product but there are things that you can't do without the added DRM on used games such as copying the game from disc to HDD and never having to put the disc in again. You could never offer one set of users the option to do that while giving up used game sales and offer another group used game sales but the disc needs to be in to play without having two different console models along with two different lines of discs that won't play in each other's consoles. It is an interesting concept but it would never get made.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
While I appreciate the convenience of digital games, I don't like what you lose with them:

- no used games
- prices kept artificially high due to lack of competition
- the possible "time limit" on when you can play the games. If I want to play Atari 2600 games today, 37 years after its release, I can. You really think digital games will still be available from MS/Sony in 30 years?

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Too late for ultra greedy Microsoft. The damage is done. They could drop the price to $10, offer to deliver it and install it under my TV for free, and I would still kick it out of the door. And there are a lot of people who will do that on principle.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
While I appreciate the convenience of digital games, I don't like what you lose with them:

- no used games
- prices kept artificially high due to lack of competition
- the possible "time limit" on when you can play the games. If I want to play Atari 2600 games today, 37 years after its release, I can. You really think digital games will still be available from MS/Sony in 30 years?

For all but the last one, the Xbox One was supposed to actually offer that. That is, until they reverted their stance. Now, like the PS4, digital downloads won't be resellable, and probably the same as the retail store.

It was also to make life easier because no game would ever go "out of print" - since licenses were electronic, you could just torrent an older game and then put it in and buy it. There would be no need for DRM on the discs nor the external hard drives.

Of course, everyone concentrated on the 24 hour checkins (which was a huge mistake) requirement. Which they could've made it more like Xbox downloads now - the original console that downloads it could play it online or offline, you can move licenses between consoles once a year, and you have to be logged into Live to play it on another console. Then by making it 24 hours, the avoid one of the nasty issues with the last bit - where it kills your game if you lose your connection to Live. Give it 24 hours and few would complain (and the friend would have 24 hours to play it before it auto-disables itself). Of course, the family pass thing makes it even nicer. Of course, the last bit is a dig at the PS3 where downloads can be attached to 5 PS3s or so...

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
That's what I've been trying to find out, but Farsight is mum on the issue, which makes me a little nervous.

I agree - you would think that it would be a easy thing to say. But,if Crave/Filipoint is still going to be The FS publisher for the 360...and the X1 has the same restrictions - then maybe it can't be announced until the bankruptcy/reoriginization is completed.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
I agree - you would think that it would be a easy thing to say. But,if Crave/Filipoint is still going to be The FS publisher for the 360...and the X1 has the same restrictions - then maybe it can't be announced until the bankruptcy/reoriginization is completed.

Right, that's what I'm thinking too. As I said in the DLC Release date thread I wonder what happened to that new publisher that Farsight had lined up. I'm wary about Crave as a publisher going forward since they didn't seem like they did all that great of a job even when they weren't facing bankruptcy.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Honestly I would forgive farsight for abandoning ms consoles entirely. That's where I'm going. In fact I'm thinking of abandoning video games altogether. I have a tablet more or less just for the pinball arcade so I won't totally miss out on that. I'm looking toward ps4 if I do go console only. Tgey can backpedal all they want but if I can't "dis-kinect" then I'm not even going to allow a XB1 in my living room.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
Why is it that people who are not interested in the Xbox One feel the need to constantly come into a thread created specifically for the XBox One and bash it? You don't see me going into PS3/PS4 threads to say how much I dislike Sony products and listing my reasons why I'm not getting a PS4 right?

It's REALLY getting old. Just because YOU don't like Microsoft's policies, doesn't mean that there aren't some of us that do and are excited for the new console.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
I am not bashing and normaly i hate it too. In this one i think alot of gamers feel that they have been ****ed in the ass by microsoft, in my view this time the hate its understandable.

I think this console will fail, cause american marcet is not enough. And even there alot of people are leaving xbox.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Why is it that people who are not interested in the Xbox One feel the need to constantly come into a thread created specifically for the XBox One and bash it? You don't see me going into PS3/PS4 threads to say how much I dislike Sony products and listing my reasons why I'm not getting a PS4 right?

It's REALLY getting old. Just because YOU don't like Microsoft's policies, doesn't mean that there aren't some of us that do and are excited for the new console.

Then go to a Microsoft site and join in on a fanboy discussion where everyone agrees on how awesome it is.

As a 2 generation Xbox supporter I've paid enough money to say whatever the hell I want about their up and coming console and it's policies. As it stands I'm disappointed in their stance and the Xbox one thread seems a tad more appropriate a place to discuss it than say the medieval madness thread don't you think?

I've been a very very vocal anti Sony person since I jumped from ps1 to the n64. So imagine my shock when I found myself thinking that I would be jumping ship.

In fact. I think a lot of the discussion here stems from people who really were interested in the platform and don't like what was revealed about it.

Hopefully you get it now.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

The thing I've found most interesting in this thread, is that the harshest critics of the XBone are the people that list that they own a 360 already. That's not good for MS at all.

Members online

Members online