New XBOX (XBox One)

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
It's not about what you got in technical specs, it's how well you can use it. After all, the PS3 specs are supposed to be better than the Xbox, but developers just aren't making use of the full power of it (and the separate memory doesn't help). However, if you can get the 6 SPUs going full tilt, there is some massive amount of computation available.

Or in other words, someone like me will just buy all the available consoles and work from there. Of course, the problem is trying to figure out which platform a game was designed for so you get the best experience.

That's just it, "supposed to be" better. it isn't. PS3 is weaker than 360 in real world performance. It always has been.

And the reason 360 outperforms PS3? Ram bandwidth, a better GPU. Two things that are now in Orbis favor. The whole situation this gen is flipped. It's Durango with the weird, weaker design this time around (due to emphasis on OS versus games).

It's pretty clear to me at this point which console is going to have the better versions of multiplatform games, and it's going to be Orbis this time around. That's all I really care about (since PC still doesn't get the vast majority of games I care about ported).

Rumors now suggest that an entire core, or maybe even 2(!!!) cores of the 720 will be completely devoted to the OS. In addition to anywhere from 1 to 3 (!!!) GB of it's (slow, **** DDR3) memory.

It is entirely clear where Microsoft is going with this. They have a completely different vision from Sony this time around. Sony wants a games machine, MS wants an Iphone for the TV. One is better for me, the other is better for the mass market. Reason I avoided PS3 was because it was the inferior box this gen for multiplatform games. That's the exact reason I'll avoid Durango this time. I have no fanboy alliegence I simply go with the best machine on the market, with the games I want, period.

I understand people get upset and really weird when you start saying "X console is more powerful than Y console". But my message to those people is to grow up. Durango is going to do things that PS4 can't, the idea of an always running OS and being able to do stuff mid game opens up an entire world of awesome. But personally I'm more interested in raw power, and where the better graphics are.

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
With the long lifepsans of the consoles I don't see why people just don't get both. I don't get Nintendo stuff anymore after the Gamecube since I moved out of that style of gaming. Sony/Microsoft though are both good systems. I prefer the PS3 but I have both.

Last last gen, as in PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox/Gamecube I was 17-19 years old. I had all 4 machines, I really kept up with the best stuff. Fast forward to today I'm a one console guy. And I have my friends on Live dudes who I compare gamerscore and leaderboards with/against, it wasn't like that back then. To me getting a PS3 would be like buying an Android phone even though I already own an Iphone.

karl

May 10, 2012
Who called me a FANBOY. Take it back, take it back your hear ;-) I promise I will try to keep an open mind when the battle cry start in a few months

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I didn't call anyone a fanboy. I was saying I'm not one, my next gen console pick will be made by the following criteria:

Which machine is more powerful. Which machine has better features.

Last gen it was 360. This gen, still too early to say, but I'm leaning Orbis as of right now.

Last edited:

karl

May 10, 2012
Sorry Mark. Not referring to you. I just saw the course word Fanboy higher up in the thread and could not resist. (no hard feelings Rafie) only a joke

N

Nik Barbour

Re: New XBOX (720)

I already own an Iphone.

I've actually been listening to you waffle on about which spec is better than the other, then you drop this bombshell.
That's like taking marriage guidance from a priest!
By the colours of the rainbow! (that's a polite way of not swearing BTW).
**** me!

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I've actually been listening to you waffle on about which spec is better than the other, then you drop this bombshell.
That's like taking marriage guidance from a priest!
By the colours of the rainbow! (that's a polite way of not swearing BTW).
**** me!

Wut.

Oh come on dude, you're not gunna rag on me for having an Iphone and not an android?

Let me say this before you say anything. I do not know the differences between the Android and Ios! I'm an expert on consoles though!

Though I would like to hear why Android is better. From my (very limited) experience with both platforms I really dug apples look, feel, and interface more, but the real reason I chose Apple over Android was for Exclusive Cave STG's. And cause the iphone felt nice and solid, has a good weight to it. The android's i tested felt too light, cheap, and plastically. Also the screen (at the time, it's probably been surprassed) had superior pixel density to the androids I looked at.

Also, my comment was meant as "I already have a smart phone, why would I buy another smart phone?" That's what it meant. I wasn't trying to insinuate that Apple was superior to Android, at all, so if it came off that way to you sorry that wasn't my intention.

But honestly I'm all ears about why Android is better. I honestly do not know! Tell me why!

FWIW, Sony has announced that they are profitable again.

Tabe

Selling a building for 1 billion dollars will do that.

I love Sony and I wish them well. Orbis needs to be a hit though. After the failed Vita and the whole PS3 fiasco that cost them billions, I know they have learned their mistakes and I expect Orbis to do very well for them. Though IMO getting the console out this year (at least in the United States) is an absolute must. That too, I think then can do (backtracking a bit on previous statements... though they are still behind MS in fabrication 2013, and it's still a bit of a long shot, 2013 for one region is not off the table).

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I was just ragging you. You certainly know your consoles!

Ahhh you got me! Hahaa.

Thanks man I appreciate that someone appreciates my next gen ramblings. Lots of thinking out loud on my part.

Leaks and info are pouring in almost daily. It's getting really exciting. Haven't been this excited for new consoles since the Dreamcast days.

N

Nik Barbour

Re: New XBOX (720)

Ahhh you got me! Hahaa.

Thanks man I appreciate that someone appreciates my next gen ramblings. Lots of thinking out loud on my part.

Leaks and info are pouring in almost daily. It's getting really exciting. Haven't been this excited for new consoles since the Dreamcast days.

I'm excited and sad - it's good this is finally moving on to the next gen, but sad because I'm a late adopter (for financial reasons) so it'll be a minimum of a year after release before I catch up.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
One piece of this puzzle is still outstanding. Ram bandwidth regarding the Durangos ESRam. That could help the console level the playing field with orbis. Emphasis on could. Also need to know gpu power.

If Durango ends up with just 1 of its 8 cores for OS, and just 2 gb or less of ram for OS, and has high bandwidth DDR3 AND super high bandwidth ESRam, that could be enough to level the playing field with orbis power wise.

Well see what happens. All will be known soon.

I'm excited and sad - it's good this is finally moving on to the next gen, but sad because I'm a late adopter (for financial reasons) so it'll be a minimum of a year after release before I catch up.

I feel you. Lots of late adopters this gen. Well look at it this way. Are you trying to wait in line for 3 days straight at Walmart to play PS4 or XBox 8 this year? How bout a couple grand on eBay? Cause that's the only way your playing them in 2013 anyway ;)

Don't worry, late adopters get more matured software and more stable hardware. Trust me you did NOT want to be around during the first 2 years of 360 and the RROD nightmare. Most launch era ps3s with BC bit the dust too. Waiting it out is a good thing.

And besides, launch software is usually crap. Remember perfect dark zero and resistance fall of man? Of course not cause it's crap lol. Now if Forza 5 and Killer Instinct 3 are launch, then I might have to eat my hat :)

Last edited:

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Sorry Mark. Not referring to you. I just saw the course word Fanboy higher up in the thread and could not resist. (no hard feelings Rafie) only a joke

None taken at all! Don't know how if I was included in that "grow up" statement, but I'll keep the peace for now!

My thing with this coming Xbox 8 is now they are taking gaming and turning it into a super media hub. Yes its most certainly innovating, but I don't want to Skype while I'm trying to play my games. I really want Microsoft to focus more on getting A rated IP exclusives and stop spending so much on new apps for the Xbox that people don't use that much.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

Here here-got my 360 in 2009. I prefer to wait until bugs are worked out with game systems before committing to one. All this "planned obsolence" nonsense with electronics tempers my enthusiasm whenever new items come out, since I'm also on a budget.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
And besides, launch software is usually crap. Remember perfect dark zero and resistance fall of man? Of course not cause it's crap lol. Now if Forza 5 and Killer Instinct 3 are launch, then I might have to eat my hat :)
A bunch of sequels to stale (if polished) franchises will be what holds me back from being an early adopter this time. I want something new. That was why the original Xbox was so exciting (Halo) or PS1 (Wipeout). If Sony can get Team Ico to finish The Last Guardian for PS4 then that's my choice made for me.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
A bunch of sequels to stale (if polished) franchises will be what holds me back from being an early adopter this time. I want something new. That was why the original Xbox was so exciting (Halo) or PS1 (Wipeout). If Sony can get Team Ico to finish The Last Guardian for PS4 then that's my choice made for me.

This is what has come to define the current gen of gaming for me.
Of course, there are franchises i still look forward to sequels to. Metal Gear nearly always pushes forward each game. But a few minor improvements and a new paint job is only acceptable to me for sports games, for understandable reasons.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012

Hey, I liked Resistance Fall of Man!

Tabe

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Full specs are out.

It's far from a Wii u. I think people will be happy with it.

On paper Orbis seems stronger. Like, 50 percent stronger. But there are people whom I trust that swear up and down and all around that both consoles are super close in spec. Idk, it's asking me to just dump my knowledge and trust them. Maybe it means orbis isn't as good as the spec suggest or specs are flat out wrong.

720 has made sacrifices for what looks like an always on OS, and perhaps even a Kinect 2.0 pack in. And it's clearly going to be affordable perhaps even profitable day 1 if there's a 499 sku.

There's a jump there. We're still talking 6-7 times 360 performance, which is a big jump. Not as big a jump as previous gens and considering the 8 years it's taken that's certainly a letdown to me.

Regardless of what others are saying. IF Orbis rumored specs are true, it's at least 50% more powerful. So you'll have an interesting situation. It'll be like PS2 versus Xbox, where Microsofts machine is the ps2 and Sonys is the Xbox.

Wii U, by that analogy, would be an N64. 360 is playstation and ps3 is a sega Saturn. Hey that worked out pretty good lol.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
The thing with me is this. I don't care about Facebook and twitter and Skype and Netflix and watching tv and buying windows 8 apps and all this junk. So the idea of doing all that at the same time without exiting a game I honestly just don't care. Give me a games machine. Leave all that other crap out, I don't use any apps on my 360 I didn't even bother with YouTube or IE on my 360.

So to me dedicating entire processor cores , ram, and sacrificing gpu power to have services I'm not going to use is just, well, it's not for me. And I mean sheesh I still have a computer for these things a controller or worse Kinect controls are no substitute for a mouse and keyboard. And no voice control is even lamer I don't care if its improved.

I buy a games console for games. Every bit of power in that 200w box should be dedicated to games and only games. If I can buy a competitors box that outperforms yours but doesn't have always on apps well it's clear where I'm going.

One silver lining to this as a gamer. If the rumored specs turn out true for Orbis, and there's a good chance they will since Xbox rumors have been SPOT ON, then there will be a significant power gap. Wiiu<<<<<Xbox<ps. And in that scenario, we might see multiplatform games target 30 frames per second on Xbox then be able to do 60 frames on ps4. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, perhaps not. 600 gflops+ is nothing to scoff at, that's a SIGNIFICANT amount. That's like, more power than a 360 or ps3. Nothing like this generation, where you can barely tell the difference.

Sorry thinking out loud again. All will be known very soon, major leaks only come when a reveal is imminent.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.