Newsletter #13 riddle for April release

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Pinball 2000 IS possible on consoles and PC versions. It would have to be an exclusive to these (I don't think mobile would react happily about this). Still, it would be cool if RFM came along.

My guesses: White Water and Space Shuttle. (If they do Space Shuttle, I wonder if they'll include the special multiball sound?)

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I think we're better off just forgetting Pinball 2000!
Not true. Roger Sharpe set the record straight on this: it actually had a bright future, and Wizard Blocks, the next intended release, and Playboy, (which was also in development) utilized the technology in innovative ways. It was not a flop - "it was a success, just not a big enough success for a publicly traded company."

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Not true. Roger Sharpe set the record straight on this: it actually had a bright future, and Wizard Blocks, the next intended release, utilized the technology in innovative ways. It was also not a flop - "it was a success, just not a big enough success for a publically traded company."
There's a bar graph in that new Pinball Magazine that illustrates this...apparently RFM outsold all but 8 or 9 of the tables released in the previous 5 years. I was rather surprised; I had thought the Pinball 2000 tables were sales duds and got canned for that reason. Apparently not.

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
I honestly thought the Pinball 2000 series was just a god awful idea. Give me a FMV (Wizard of Oz, The Hobbit...) any day than SW Episode 1 and Revenge from Mars. :(

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Not true. Roger Sharpe set the record straight on this: it actually had a bright future, and Wizard Blocks, the next intended release, utilized the technology in innovative ways. It was also not a flop - "it was a success, just not a big enough success for a publically traded company."

Well all I know is I hated playing both the Star Wars table and the Revenge from Mars table. I didn't like not being able to see the upper half of the table, I hated the feel of just target shooting. I'm not concerned with what might have been, I only know what was. And what was, I didn't like one bit!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'll agree with ya on Star Wars, but Revenge is awesome! It's fairly high on all the Top 100 lists I've seen.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
RFM isn't too bad, SWE1 is abysmal. Both sold fairly well, but Williams was more concerned with the slot machine division of their company that sold much, much better.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I agree that Revenge is much more fun than SWE1, but I would still rather play AFM than RFM. I didn't really enjoy the whole pinball 2000 format as much as I thought I would.

As for the April speculation, I really hope we are right about White Water. I played it the other night and it is such a fun pin. Great art package, good DMD animations, and those freakin' awesome ramps.

thetrout

Apr 10, 2012
Ep 1 was rubbish but Revenge is tons of fun, and hilarious to boot. My arcade here (up until a few months ago) had both of them sitting right next to each other, so I got to put a lot of time into both. Admittedly, neither table is particularly complicated though.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I have seen differentiation between early solid states, later solid states and DMDs for purposes of tournaments, which could be the source of the confusion. May I ask what the dividing line between early & later solid states is considered to be? I'm guessing that it isn't just the transition to alphanumeric displays, because otherwise, it would be a simple digital/alphanumeric divide and they would just call it that.

I don't know how they do it in tournaments, but it really feels to me as if Firepower was a watershed. Before Firepower, solid-state pinballs played a lot like late electromechanical games, but with electronic noises and fancier layouts; designers made them fanciest just by making them big (Genie is a good example of this, or the Atari widebodies). After Firepower, nearly all SS tables had multiball modes and some kind of more complex goal progression.

And then High Speed or something around that time was another dividing point, and Addams Family yet another, ushering in the brief Nineties golden age.

If you're really into hairsplitting, you can identify multiple generations in the electromechanical era too. There are the pre-flipper games, of course, but there's also the moment around 1960 or so when most games went to a layout with two inward-facing flippers at the bottom, and then the movement in the 1970s toward bigger flippers, more complicated gameplay and less drain-happy layouts, preparing the way for solid state.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
I want to change my guess to Space Shuttle and Earthshaker. I think I became too fixated on Whitewater, knowing that they have one at the studio. But just because we figured out what the blurred tables in those pictures were doesn't imply that all of their tables were photographed. I think the more obvious answer to the riddle is Earth and Space. Both tables even have that in the title.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts