Pack 18 Screenshots?

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
I definetely prefer the dullness of the first version over the cold blue in the adjusted version. I don't like when the colors are too crisp, it makes it look like a Visual Pinball table. I'd actually like some smoothing filter option on all tables.

its not about how do you like it - its about how it must look to be close to real life table

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I think we should expect better quality in 2013. Microsoft's version from the 90’s actually looked pretty good for how old it is (sorry for the low res screen, but at least you can see the lighting/colors were pretty decent):

hhouse_800600.jpg

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Microsoft also did great with reflections. You could see the flipped Haunted House backglass around the flipper area in the cellar (that was actually pretty neat).

Oh, and also: Ball reflections. That was another big feat. The only problem with the game was its physics.

night

May 18, 2012
The MS version looks beautifull.. good lighting fx, good atmosphere. This could be an ASK Homework Zaccaria table. FarSight, this quality please!

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
in MSPA's HH flippers are correct sized - not sharp-pointed as in TPA, they are little "fatty" rounded as on gotgliebs machines of that time period.
..i have more and more suspicions about FS and their product's quality..

Last edited:

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
..sometimes i even hope someone else like Zen purchase "big 4" licenses for making real tables recreations. i dont mind about name of company who make - i only care about quality of game and in case of TPA it's tables cost 5$ per 2 tables (without additional price if you want change properties of a table or look at some details of playfield) and Zen's cost near 4$ per 2 tables. and quality level of Zen's FX2 is far ahead of TPA..sadly but true. and i have some real HS in FX to say i have learned something about it's strong and weak sides.
currently TPA looks more like broken game and FX as Originals only. in first case - FS need remake enough of art assets and remake some game systems (especially in PC version). in second case - Zen need make some another "spin-off" section of FX for real tables, buy licenses and start making tables recreations - they already have done and very well tuned game/services infrustructure.
who will done with this first? - this is a question. but any way as long as here is demand for pinball (and it actually is) there will be team, who'll get over it. and players will only win from this rivalry.

Last edited:

Björn Wessman

Sep 4, 2012
its not about how do you like it - its about how it must look to be close to real life table

But that's just it. TPA doesn't look close to the real tables and never will. Unless they spend a year per table or use pre-rendered graphics like Pro Pinball does it will never look like the real thing. That's why i prefer it to be a bit blurry and muddy, because the crisper the image, the more obvious it's just a bunch of polygons and not so realistic lightning effects.
The experience can still be quite true to the the real thing if the emulation and physics are great though. I guess theoretically it could be made to look realistic on PC or the next generation consoles, but never on Android or iOS.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I remember playing the crap out of the old MS version. Though pre-rendered, everything looks much more realistic. But, yea, the physics weren't the best. Hopefully, FarSight does much more tweaking with the version shown above. On a side note, the ios versions have been OK, for the most part, just simply due to the hardware limitations. I think their artists are taking too many liberties when given more horsepower from the PC and consoles. It seems like they have a hard time (or just don't want to) recreating the look of the real thing in a darkened room without "blinging" it out.

Here's to hoping they boost the color (without turning it into a gaudy mess) some on the consoles and keep the mobile versions dark.

night

May 18, 2012
I remember playing the crap out of the old MS version. Though pre-rendered, everything looks much more realistic. But, yea, the physics weren't the best. Hopefully, FarSight does much more tweaking with the version shown above. On a side note, the ios versions have been OK, for the most part, just simply due to the hardware limitations. I think their artists are taking too many liberties when given more horsepower from the PC and consoles. It seems like they have a hard time (or just don't want to) recreating the look of the real thing in a darkened room without "blinging" it out.

Here's to hoping they boost the color (without turning it into a gaudy mess) some on the consoles and keep the mobile versions dark.

Good quality graphics like the MS-example can be done on the mobiles without any doubt, ASK Homework is doing it with Zaccaria, and TPA could come very close if they start dropping the anti-shadow policy on their tables.

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
But that's just it. TPA doesn't look close to the real tables and never will. Unless they spend a year per table or use pre-rendered graphics like Pro Pinball does it will never look like the real thing. That's why i prefer it to be a bit blurry and muddy, because the crisper the image, the more obvious it's just a bunch of polygons and not so realistic lightning effects.
The experience can still be quite true to the the real thing if the emulation and physics are great though. I guess theoretically it could be made to look realistic on PC or the next generation consoles, but never on Android or iOS.

if you think in game table can not look close to real life table - try to play Genie in FP and in TPA after that for comparison.
or try to play/see on youtube Zaccaria - another example of good quality visuals/recreation.

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Well, I'm not going after the old 3d vs. pre-rend argument. Night is correct in that Zaccaria Pinball has done their lighting extremely well considering the limitations of the ios platform, and with a 3d engine to boot. I'm just concerned with the quality of the console versions of TPA. I just don't get what the artists are seeing when they're doing the lighting for some of these recreations.

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
I think we should expect better quality in 2013. Microsoft's version from the 90’s actually looked pretty good for how old it is (sorry for the low res screen, but at least you can see the lighting/colors were pretty decent):

hhouse_800600.jpg

wow. farsight should be ashamed

#nomorepink

Björn Wessman

Sep 4, 2012
if you think in game table can not look close to real life table - try to play Genie in FP and in TPA after that for comparison.
or try to play/see on youtube Zaccaria - another example of good quality visuals/recreation.

Yes, but then we are talking about a complete overhaul of the TPA gfx engine, not just changing the lighting color on a particular table. We're talking TPA 2 here in that case - a completely new game.

Last edited:

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
Yes, but then we are talking about a complete overhaul of the TPA gfx engine, not just changing the lighting color on a particular table. We're talking TPA 2 here in that case - a completely new game.

i dont know what are you talking about, but i'm talking about mistakes in wrong placed/aligned art of playfield, poor modeled table toys - you dont need to make new game to just properly wrap texture on model. if you still dont understand what i'm talking about - try to dig on Genie table and PC Beta sub forums, you can find my posts with pictures related to this.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.