PAF Top Ten Most Wanted Table Poll Series : #3 - Bally (Closed)

What Are Your Top Ten Most Wanted Bally Tables

• Black Rose (1992)

Votes: 213 57.9%
  • Corvette (1994)

Votes: 154 41.8%
  • Eight Ball Champ (1985)

Votes: 49 13.3%
  • Eight Ball Deluxe (1981)

Votes: 150 40.8%
  • Elektra (1981)

Votes: 53 14.4%
  • Embryon (1981)

Votes: 67 18.2%
  • Evil Knieval (1977)

Votes: 48 13.0%
  • Fathom (1981)

Votes: 101 27.4%
  • Fireball Classic (1984)

Votes: 47 12.8%
  • Fireball II (1981)

Votes: 35 9.5%
  • Flash Gordon (1981)

Votes: 104 28.3%
  • Future Spa (1979)

Votes: 44 12.0%
  • Indianapolis 500 (1995)

Votes: 132 35.9%
  • Judge Dredd (1993)

Votes: 197 53.5%
  • Mata Hari (1978)

Votes: 52 14.1%
  • Medusa (1981)

Votes: 75 20.4%
  • Mousin’ Around! (1989)

Votes: 69 18.8%
  • Nitro Ground Shaker (1980)

Votes: 14 3.8%
  • Paragon (1979)

Votes: 86 23.4%
  • Party Zone, The (1991)

Votes: 158 42.9%
  • Radical! (1990)

Votes: 62 16.8%
  • Safe Cracker (1996)

Votes: 191 51.9%
  • Silverball Mania (1978)

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Space Invaders (1980)

Votes: 103 28.0%
  • Spectrum (1981)

Votes: 59 16.0%
  • Strange Science (1986)

Votes: 69 18.8%
  • Strikes and Spares (1978)

Votes: 51 13.9%
  • WHO dunnit (1995)

Votes: 196 53.3%
  • World Cup Soccer (1994)

Votes: 199 54.1%
  • Xenon (1980)

Votes: 162 44.0%

• Total voters

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Pretty much all the top tables are dmd. The only exceptions are 8 ball deluxe and xenon. Those are both really high profile and popular tables that have a big following. I think lots of people just voted based on the dmd feature. There are 8 dmd tables...all of them in the current top ten.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
The top 50 on IPDB is all DMD. With exception to the following:

23 Bride of Pinbot
24 Whirlwind
31 Diner
32 Cyclone
35 Taxi
36 Pinbot
39 Elvira
40 High Speed
41 Banzai Run
43 Black Knight

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
... There has been a very vocal contingent that, every month, clamours for a "two DMD pack" while at the same time claiming that Centaur is one of the best tables produced and such a fun and original game, so much so that TPA needs more like it.

This x 1000. I'm absolutely stunned by the poll results so far. Much more so than the first two polls. Pirates? Really? That's the selling point?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
This x 1000. I'm absolutely stunned by the poll results so far. Much more so than the first two polls. Pirates? Really? That's the selling point?

Black Rose us a pretty decent game. I would be happy to have it an I did vote for it. I do like pirates though. However medusa and Fathom, and Embryon blow it out of the water. Pardon the pun.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
These polls go to show that TPA fans are not your typical pinball fans. For instance, Party Zone isn't even in Pinside's Top 100, yet it has way more votes than several pins that are generally more well-loved machines.

It's 63rd on IPDB.

That puts it ahead of Dr. Who, Centaur, Dr. Dude, World Cup Soccer, Black Knight 2000, Corvette, Champion Pub, and so on. So clearly you're wrong. No offense.

And if we are going by Pinside, there are less than 10 machines in their entire top 100 that are early 80's (8 to be exact). And only one of those (Xenon) is in the top 50.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I guess it reflects a growing membership, i was shocked at the results myself, i expected much different voting on a ten table scale

We need classics, ony because its my prefered play style damnit

**** i am daw luraw

Ahem....im a great fan if many dmds too but i sound like a hater, dmds boggle my mind

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
Black Rose us a pretty decent game. I would be happy to have it an I did vote for it. I do like pirates though. However medusa and Fathom, and Embryon blow it out of the water. Pardon the pun.

There is a cannon in the way. How is that a good thing? And yes, any of the pins that you mentioned would be better than BR.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It's 63rd on IPDB.

That puts it ahead of Dr. Who, Centaur, Dr. Dude, World Cup Soccer, Black Knight 2000, Corvette, Champion Pub, and so on. So clearly you're wrong. No offense.

And if we are going by Pinside, there are less than 10 machines in their entire top 100 that are early 80's (8 to be exact). And only one of those (Xenon) is in the top 50.

I'm clearly wrong? Just because I trust Pinside's list more than IPDB's doesn't make what I said wrong, bud. My statement is accurate based on Pinside's list, plain and simple.

And I never said anything about early 80’s. All I was saying is that I wish some of the pins with higher ratings would get more votes, regardless of their era. I just want the best in TPA, whether they have a DMD or not.

However, since you posted about IPDB's Top 50 and DMDs: the fact that here are 10 non-DMD machines in IPDB's Top 50 shows that it doesn't require a DMD for a pin to be great.

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
However, since you posted about IPDB's Top 50 and DMDs: the fact that here are 10 non-DMD machines in IPDB's Top 50 shows that it doesn't require a DMD for a pin to be great.

I said top 100, not top 50. You misread my post. There are only 4 games in the top 50 that aren't DMD, and two of those are Alpha-Numeric games (Whirlwind and Elvira). Only Xenon and Fathom (49th and 50th respectively) are non DMD, non Alpha Numeric in that top 50.

I'm clearly wrong? Just because I trust Pinside's list more than IPDB's doesn't make what I said wrong, bud. My statement is accurate based on Pinside's list, plain and simple.

And I never said anything about early 80’s. All I was saying is that I wish some of the pins with higher ratings would get more votes, regardless of their era. I just want the best in TPA, whether they have a DMD or not.

Yes Jeff, you are factually incorrect. Stating that Pinball Fans are not typical pinball fans because they chose a table that is not on Pinside's top 100 is factually wrong because that same table is very highly ranked on another sites top 100. Unless you want to argue that Pinside is all that matters and IPDB doesn't count.

Last edited:

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
I have no problem with people voting tables on theme alone, let's not forget that some of the best tables we've ever played would be nothing without the theme and if a new generation of pinball fans are licking their lips over Black Rose then they're going to enjoy the table just as much as hardcore pinball fans are going to enjoy Xenon.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I said top 100, not top 50. You misread my post. There are only 4 games in the top 50 that aren't DMD, and two of those are Alpha-Numeric games (Whirlwind and Elvira). Only Xenon and Fathom (49th and 50th respectively) are non DMD, non Alpha Numeric in that top 50.

No, I didn't misread it. Perhaps you misread mine because I said IPDB Top 50 in the part you quoted, since I was referring to this earlier post:

23 Bride of Pinbot
24 Whirlwind
31 Diner
32 Cyclone
35 Taxi
36 Pinbot
39 Elvira
40 High Speed
41 Banzai Run
43 Black Knight

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Oh ok dude.

Yes but look at that list. Not a single one of those is early 80's. They are all alpha-numeric's. Each and every one.

Yes, but what difference does that make? When did I ever say anything about early 80’s pins in this thread?

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Yes, but what difference does that make? When did I ever say anything about early 80’s pins in this thread?

You said it's a shame more deserving pins didn't rank higher. Well, um, what are these more deserving pins? Because whether you look at IPDB or Pinside, the DMD games are more popular than any of these early 80's and late 70's offerings in this poll.

I was making it a point to other posters who were upset by the lack of an 80's presence in the polls.

It makes all the difference. Because all the pins in the poll are pre-alpha numerics, with very few exceptions (SS and Mousin Around).

Last edited:

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
I usually not interested in tables because they are EM, have DMD display, etc. It's true I have not played all these tables. In fact I think the only ones I have played are Who Dunnit and World Cup Soccer and both were on my list.

Like Jeff, I like going to pinisde to get info on tables and the community isn't bad either. And there are several tables in TPA that aren't even on the top 100 on that list. They are the upcoming flight 2000 (#199) which looks pretty interesting to me. Genie (#155) Dr Dude (#137) Gorgar (#128) Space Shuttle one of my favs (#117). The IPDB list Is pretty good and I think FS might be going based on those. Gorgar and Genie aren't in the top 100 there as well as Flight 2000. Whether or not which one is the most accurate is up to debate but most likely personal preferences.

For me, Tables before 1980 are boring and that's only a personal opinion. I'm all for tables that have a multiball (also personal preference). I can't get into Big Shot, Genie, Central Park even Gorgar. I've tried mostly to get the trophies and that's about it. I respect those that like these tables but it's not for me. That said there are tables in this poll like elektra (for it's playfield inside a playfiled), Flash Gordon, (for it's difficulty) and Medusa (for it's unique flipper mechanic in the upper playfield) all looked interesting enough even though they don't have multiball was surpassed by ones I'm more interested in.

Personal Preference.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
No, I didn't misread it. Perhaps you misread mine because I said IPDB Top 50 in the part you quoted, since I was referring to this earlier post:

23 Bride of Pinbot
24 Whirlwind
31 Diner
32 Cyclone
35 Taxi
36 Pinbot
39 Elvira
40 High Speed
41 Banzai Run
43 Black Knight

Um, what is your point? Each and every one of those machines in the top 50 are Alpha-numerics. None of those listed are even in this Bally poll! So what the heck are you trying to say, Jeff?

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
You said it's a shame more deserving pins didn't rank higher. Well, um, what are these more deserving pins? Because whether you look at IPDB or Pinside, the DMD games are more popular than any of these early 80's and late 70's offerings in this poll.

I was making it a point to other posters who were upset by the lack of an 80's presence in the polls.

It makes all the difference. Because all the pins in the poll are pre-alpha numerics, with very few exceptions (SS and Mousin Around).

Anyways you don't make any sense. I'm done arguing.

Actually one of the pins I had in mind was Indy 500...which is a DMD pin...but yes, I do also wish the older pins that are rated higher had more votes as well. My original point was that there are several pins rated higher than Party Zone, yet they have much fewer votes. Paragon, Indy 500, Embryon, Fathom, and Flash Gordon are all higher on Pinside's list (and with the exception of Indy 500, all of those are non-DMD, which makes what you said above in the first paragraph not true).

I think if a pin is rated significantly higher, then it would be nice if it received at least a few more votes because it's rated higher for a reason. That was my point. Sorry if that doesn't make sense to you.

Personally, I don't care if a pin has a DMD or not. As we've already established, it doesn't take a DMD to get a pinball machine into the top lists. Just because there are more DMD pins near the top doesn't mean Farsight should make a lower-rated DMD pin over a higher-rated non-DMD pin. I think they should start at the top of the list and try to get as many of the higher-rated pins into the game as possible, regardless of what year they were made.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Um, what is your point? Each and every one of those machines in the top 50 are Alpha-numerics. None of those listed are even in this Bally poll! So what the heck are you trying to say, Jeff?

Umm dude, you're the one who originally posted that list. I was quoting you....what the heck, man?

23 Bride of Pinbot
24 Whirlwind
31 Diner
32 Cyclone
35 Taxi
36 Pinbot
39 Elvira
40 High Speed
41 Banzai Run
43 Black Knight

Members online