PC Release news

Jeff McElhannon

Feb 20, 2012
They replied on Fabrizio Pompili's post. You have to scroll down a bit. They said:

"We haven't made a final decision about the PC distribution channel. The folks at Valve seem a little skeptical that Steam users want to play pinball. We might post an email address a little later for anyone who disagrees :)"

Mobile download numbers don't mean anything to Valve. The Steam service doesn't really cater to casual gamers, the demographic the mobile market taps into. Just because a whole bunch of people DLed it on iOS and Android doesn't mean the same thing will happen on Steam. My bet is that Worms Pinball and Slamit Pinball got lousy sales so Valve therefore assumes not many Steam users like pinball stuff.

At least someone else here knows how bad GfWL is. If it only comes out on that platform, then count me out. I'll stick with my PS3 and 3DS instead.

While I agree the Steam doesn't necessarily cater to casual gamers, that doesn't mean they don't stock casual games. Heck, Peggle used to be one of the most popular games on Steam. And considering that Steam has a whole "casual" section in their store, I don't see this as a valid reason. Sure, TPA on Steam may not reach the same DL numbers as mobile, but the numbers show that gamers are interested in pinball games. Plus, what does Steam have to lose if a game doesn't sell well? It's not like they are plopping down tons of cash to host a single game.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I would think that the fact that Pinball FX2 is one of the most popular games on Xbox Live would persuade Valve that pinball would be a good genre to have on Steam.

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
Yeah, Steam does have a casual game section, but that pales in comparison to the mobile market. Peggle may be a best seller, but how many of those games actually get good sales besides the obvious stuff like Plants Vs. Zombies? I could be wrong, but I just have a hunch Steam users in general don't like pinball. They may like puzzle games like Peggle but not pinball.

I still think GoG would make a good home for TPA, but there's all the DLC to consider. What a shame.

Jeff McElhannon

Feb 20, 2012
Yeah, Steam does have a casual game section, but that pales in comparison to the mobile market. Peggle may be a best seller, but how many of those games actually get good sales besides the obvious stuff like Plants Vs. Zombies? I could be wrong, but I just have a hunch Steam users in general don't like pinball. They may like puzzle games like Peggle but not pinball.

I still think GoG would make a good home for TPA, but there's all the DLC to consider. What a shame.

What is it about Steam users you think that makes them not like pinball? Why do Xbox 360 and PS3 owners like pinball but PC owners don't? I just don't see the connection as to why Steam users wouldn't buy a pinball game.

Perhaps releasing TPA on Steam as a free to play game (similar to mobile, where you can play until you hit a high score), would entice more people to try the game out. This also fits well with the DLC model.

I don't know, I just can't see how Steam, the largest PC digital distribution service, wouldn't fit well with TPA. I think releasing it to on a platform like GoG would just send the game to die. The Witcher 2, which was developed by the owners of GoG, only sold 40,000 units through GoG. The vast majority of online sales went through Steam. I know, the games are different, but I view GoG as a niche platform where Steam is a platform for all games and all gamers.

Patrick McBride

Feb 20, 2012
Freelance, thanks for posting that quote! I gotta say I'm pretty shocked... I wasn't aware that Valve was so strict about accepting games on Steam, and especially from a fairly recognized developer such as Farsight, who has published games on many different platforms. Pinball isn't exactly well-represented on Steam and I thought they would actually appreciate the chance to put a great game on there with lots of tables.

Also, what do they really have to lose? Since it's all digital downloads and they don't use bandwidth unless someone buys & pays for the game (of which they get a cut)... it seems like a win for everyone! I really hope Farsight does go ahead and post an email address to their Facebook page so we can tell Valve that there is a community on PC that really wants this game!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Freelance, thanks for posting that quote! I gotta say I'm pretty shocked... I wasn't aware that Valve was so strict about accepting games on Steam, and especially from a fairly recognized developer such as Farsight, who has published games on many different platforms. Pinball isn't exactly well-represented on Steam and I thought they would actually appreciate the chance to put a great game on there with lots of tables.

Also, what do they really have to lose? Since it's all digital downloads and they don't use bandwidth unless someone buys & pays for the game (of which they get a cut)... it seems like a win for everyone! I really hope Farsight does go ahead and post an email address to their Facebook page so we can tell Valve that there is a community on PC that really wants this game!

Great post. I agree 100% with all your points. This situation a real head-scratcher for sure. I just can't wrap my head around what Valve has to lose in all this.

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
Have you all forgotten all the stuff I said about Slamit Pinball having too many bugs which has never been resolved and how Worms Pinball is incredibly overpriced? If there are pinball fans on Steam, thanks to the problems I just described, they are NOT buying those games and thus Valve believes there's no market for pinball games due to low sales. It makes sense from their perspective. It just sucks for us fans. You can't deny that in this day and age, pinball is virtually an extinct genre. People would rather play video games instead, hence the problem getting pinball games distributed. Of course there's always exceptions (Zen Pinball) but overall, pinball isn't a beloved genre anymore like in the old days.

Witcher 2 was horrible on Steam so I don't know why all the sales went there. Steam forced you to DL a 9GB patch whereas with the other websites you didn't need to.

GoG is a great website and I'd love TPA to go there but I doubt that will happen as GoG doesn't have a DLC system that I am aware of. Sure, Steam has a bigger fanbase but don't discount other distribution services too! I actually prefer them to Steam as I don't need to load up any software (Steam) to play the games I buy. If a game is cheaper elsewhere, I go there. Also, GoG already has the Pro Pinball series, among others and there are already a nice pinball fanbase there too judging from the posts there so it seems like a win-win situation to me if it happens. Also, word of mouth goes a long way in getting nice sales.

At any rate, I'm done with the PC version now if it's going to be this much of a hassle. Might as well stick to the PS3 and 3DS versions. If it comes to Steam/GOG/D2D, then great! I will still buy it on PC. It if comes to GfWL or Win 8, then no way. I won't buy it on PC at all. It would be nice if Farsight could just have it available straight on their website but I guess that's not possible.

If anything, those two pinball games on Steam hurt our chances of seeing TPA there. That's my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
But again, what does Valve have to lose? It's not like it costs them anything to list the game on Steam.

GoG would be a good option, but as far as DLC goes: Why couldn't Farsight host their own DLC? You'd buy it in the game itself (perhaps via PayPal?), and then it downloads in-game direct from Farsight's server.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Oh, and Worms Pinball is the original PC version and is NOT a port of Addiction Pinball. If it was Addiction Pinball then I'd buy it.

To my knowledge, the first version of Worms Pinball to come out was with Addiction Pinball in 1998, which is only on PC. Worms Pinball was later packaged with Worms Blast, which came after Addiction. Port of Addiction or not, it's still the same table that's in Addiction being sold by itself.

Have you all forgotten all the stuff I said about Slamit Pinball having too many bugs which has never been resolved and how Worms Pinball is incredibly overpriced? If there are pinball fans on Steam, thanks to the problems I just described, they are NOT buying those games and thus Valve believes there's no market for pinball games due to low sales. It makes sense from their perspective. It just sucks for us fans. You can't deny that in this day and age, pinball is virtually an extinct genre. People would rather play video games instead, hence the problem getting pinball games distributed. Of course there's always exceptions (Zen Pinball) but overall, pinball isn't a beloved genre anymore like in the old days.

I haven't forgotten, but I disagree that Valve's perspective makes sense. It's a false assumption based on poor decisions from Valve. Not to mention that there are other niche genres like shmups on Steam that were given more of a chance. Pinball isn't as successful as it used to be, but it's partially becuase they are harder to find due to less arcades being around. There are plenty of fans. Zen Pinball at least has proven that a pinball game can sell. Even stuff like Pinball HD is doing well on iOS.

Last edited:

Ben Thebear

Feb 22, 2012
This PC delay (if it is indeed true) has totally burst my bubble of enthusiasm for the game. I've been playing the iOS versions just waiting till the end of march for a REAL version of this great game. I don't have an Xbox or PS3, I'm a PC gamer, so all of the other versions in the world do me no good. I find it hard to believe that Valve would refuse to put any legitimate game on Steam. I mean, there are some horrible games on Steam, or games that are completely not supported like the aforementioned Slamit Pinball. I can't believe Valve would be stupid enough to look at two poor quality pinball games on their store and say that because those didn't sell well this new high quality game with tons of DLC and a dev that is going to support it well would not sell. I don't think they'd have gotten where they are if they had business sense like that. And even if Valve for some reason refused the game, there are plenty of other digital distribution channels out there! Many of which I would imagine Farsight would want to get on to expand their distribution. Well, here's hoping that despite whatever is going on the game will come to PC soon.

Last edited:

Patrick McBride

Feb 20, 2012
Farsight just posted this on Facebook:

"We are planning on developing a Windows 8 version later this year, but I'm sorry, we will not be releasing the game on Windows 7."

So 2 huge disappointments... first is it won't be released until LATER THIS YEAR... second is it won't even be available for Windows 7! How's that for dropping the ball?? My Pinball Arcade enthusiasm just took a huge dive... :mad:

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
Okay that confirms it. I will NOT be buying the PC version. Don't have Win 8. Heck, I don't even have Win 7. RIP PC. HELLO PS3.

Update: Okay they're talking about the Windows PHONE 7. Stop trying to scare us!! Almost gave me a heart attack.

Then again, they said 'Win 8' when replying to poster about Win Phone 7...did they misunderstood the question or they did really mean Win Phone 8? I'm confused now.

Last edited:

Vercingetorix

Mar 12, 2012
Okay that confirms it. I will NOT be buying the PC version. Don't have Win 8. Heck, I don't even have Win 7. RIP PC. HELLO PS3.

Update: Okay they're talking about the Windows PHONE 7. Stop trying to scare us!! Almost gave me a heart attack.

Then again, they said 'Win 8' when replying to poster about Win Phone 7...did they misunderstood the question or they did really mean Win Phone 8? I'm confused now.

The only way I think that question/answer makes sense in context is if you read it like this:

Q: "Will be you releasing a version for Windows Phone 7?"

A: "We will not be releasing a version for Windows Phone 7, but ARE planning to develop a version that will run on the upcoming tablets running Windows 8."

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
They posted a clarification response:

"Yeah, my apologies - I was just referring to Windows 7 phones. The PC version will certainly support Windows 7."

Patrick McBride

Feb 20, 2012
Yeah, really glad they cleared that one up! Sorry for scaring anyone... I did notice the original question was for "phone", but Farsight's answer didn't seem to be specific to that. I apologize!

It's great that it WILL be coming to Windows 7... but we still have no idea when :(

Freelance

Feb 28, 2012
Still doesn't help me much since I don't have Win 7. I'm still on Vista and have no intention to upgrade anytime soon.

By the way, I can no longer post anything on the FB page. The stupid thing won't let me anymore unless I verify myself with a mobile phone. Thing is, I don't HAVE a mobile phone. Google lets me verify with my home phone and they give me a recorded message. FB doesn't have that option. Only other option they have is for me to show them my Gov't ID. WTF? No way am I going to show them that. I'll just lurk from now on then.

N

Nik Barbour

Still doesn't help me much since I don't have Win 7. I'm still on Vista and have no intention to upgrade anytime soon.

By the way, I can no longer post anything on the FB page. The stupid thing won't let me anymore unless I verify myself with a mobile phone. Thing is, I don't HAVE a mobile phone. Google lets me verify with my home phone and they give me a recorded message. FB doesn't have that option. Only other option they have is for me to show them my Gov't ID. WTF? No way am I going to show them that. I'll just lurk from now on then.

I'm on Vista too with no chance of upgrade!
Think I'm gonna spring for either a PS3 or a new ipad (3) - I'm leaning towards the ipad at the minute!
Especially with the Pc being indefinitely delayed.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.