Pro Pinball

Bill Paterno

Aug 6, 2013
Seriously. At least the TPA Kickstarters are for licenses, but this Kickstarter is just so they make Timeshock a "priority". They're going to make it with or without the Kickstarter, so why not just make the product and sell it like businesses have been doing since the dawn of time. I guess I'm just sick of Kickstarters in general, especially when they aren't really needed.

P.S. I still love Pro Pinball.

I love Pro Pinball too :) I think there is a disconnect between those of us who played PP back in the day and those that in the past 5 years have "discovered" PP. The arguments against a Kickstarter are kind of funny though. You can make the same argument against TPA Kickstarters.

Last edited by a moderator:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I love Pro Pinball too :) I think there is a disconnect between those of us who played PP back in the day and those that in the past 5 years have "discovered" PP. The arguments against a Kickstarter are kind of funny though. You can make the same argument against TPA Kickstarters.

I've been playing Pro Pinball since the late '90’s, so I'm not sure what you're insinuating.

I'm not really a fan of Kickstarters in general, but there is at least a difference between this and the TPA kickstarters. For Pro Pinball, the Kickstarter money will make the development a "priority" for them, which means they'll release Timeshock sooner, but they're going to release it eventually whether or not the kickstarter succeeds. On the other hand, TPA used kickstarters to bring us licensed tables that would never have been a reality otherwise. That's quite a difference.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I've been playing Pro Pinball since the late '90’s, so I'm not sure what you're insinuating.

I'm not really a fan of Kickstarters in general, but there is at least a difference between this and the TPA kickstarters. For Pro Pinball, the Kickstarter money will make the development a "priority" for them, which means they'll release Timeshock sooner, but they're going to release it eventually whether or not the kickstarter succeeds. On the other hand, TPA used kickstarters to bring us licensed tables that would never have been a reality otherwise. That's quite a difference.

We must remember that Silverball went out of business even though they recently delivered games on Wii, Xbox, etc. I am delighted that they managed to get the core team together again. Times are tough in the UK and I am sure they need to work on paid projects to cover staff costs and not risk going under again. It would probably be too much of a gamble for them to devote all time to PP dev without knowing the return so if paid work comes up it may take years to complete PP. If however they
can quickly get a table out there it will hopefully give them a feeling of whether further tables are worth the dev cost. They must have had a tough time reforming so let's get together and give them the kick start they deserve. After seeing that light show we can't let that slip through our fingers! Also by them raising the bar, this means FS and others will do likewise.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I received a very nice PM from Ade that helps clear things up, and I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here:

Hi Jeff,

I've been following the discussion with interest and you make some fair points.

However, I think I probably expressed things poorly when I simply said that we'd make this a priority.

Almost a year has passed since the last Kickstarter and we've been working on Pro Pinball when we can and our spare time because we honestly want to make something special. Hopefully from the videos you can see what we've managed to do in that time, but there is still a considerable amount left to do. Because we do love pinball it is true that we will continue to work on Pro Pinball even if the Kickstarter fails, however in that event we're looking at least another year if not more to finish everything off.

If on the other hand we do get funded, we can finish Timeshock! by the end of this year and if that does well, use the income from that to have all the other three games out next year and hopefully at least one brand new table too.

Maybe that's how you saw things anyway, but I just wanted to clarify things from my perspective.

Regardless, I've read the many nice things you have said about Pro Pinball, it's much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ade.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I received a very nice PM from Ade that helps clear things up, and I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here:

Thanks for that clarification, Jeff. Ade is really good with communication about this project.

Ade had been corresponding with me as well about enhancing the content available in the demo app. I suggested he add in some rolling demos of lighting sequences in HD resolutions.

We can then use the app almost like a marketing tool when we see pinball fans and want to show them how good the future may be.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Awesome, I can't remember where but I had just suggested that somewhere a couple days ago...that would be sweet.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
New update from thr Pro Pinball KS:

Thanks to www.pinDMD.com we now have Timeshock! running on a real DMD! It really is cool to see something that has always been virtual becoming at least a little bit real! We had been wondering whether or not our pinball cabinet should use a real DMD or an LCD screen - I think we now know the answer.

Please keep spreading word, we're very nearly two thirds funded!

Many thanks,

Ade.

http://youtu.be/AXhefnG4jsA

Cab owners rejoice!

karl

May 10, 2012
Awsome it is but TPA will have no trouble working on a real dmd since the rom files was made to work that way in the first place. The process with pro pinball is very different so no need to take note of that process. Now physics and lighting is another matter ;-)

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
Really liked the news when I saw it. I was gonna ask on the KS page if they would consider having a real DMD device for the game, but I figure that would be something in the future.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Really liked the news when I saw it. I was gonna ask on the KS page if they would consider having a real DMD device for the game, but I figure that would be something in the future.

This is a real Pinball DMD. It uses the PinDMD interface to connect a real DMD to a PC. Visual Pinball/VPinMame already support it. Excellent news that Pro Pinball will too! Pledge now!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Everyone on this thread would have already seen the attract mode running in real time on an iPad in the latest backer update.

This is your opportunity to show it off. It makes my mind melt to think this could become a reality around December.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012

fenderbendr

Dec 1, 2012
Wow, that might make TPA unplayable after playing that table. You won't want to go back..

Sure, TPA will still have its place, but as you ^ said, it will set the new standerd.

Last edited:

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Was just about to post the video. Holee ****! Plus the DMD update they showed a couple of days ago.
This plus TPA coming to Steam makes me wanna build a cabinet now :O

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts