Pro Pinball

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
whaaat? THX Silverballs!
This is great news.
Can't wait to try out cab view, no matter if it is still imperfect and without DMD...
I will try this as soon as I return home. Damn business trips.

But why on earth is the dev section still kept an exclusive part of the forum??! no wonder there is no activity in the real forum, if everything important is already posted there. :mad:
the guys who pledged a million already had 2 year long exclusive access - way longer than promised.
.... I guess they just didn't have the time to switch it over. Or the "rendering" of the forum took too long.

Last edited:

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
thanks. really intrigued what the low latency settings do... only thing I get is half the framerate, stutter, stutter.
postet this over at the pp forums.

Now I can actually enjoy Timeshock with controller support. I've just tried it, and man is it difficult-even more so than some of PFX2 tables. As realistic as the flippers and ball action seem to be, the flippers couldn't dent a marshmallow.

That said, it plays more realistically than any other pinball simulation (like PP always has), and now looks super sharp on a bigger screen.

For pinball simulation fans, these are great days we're living in.:)

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I've just tried the low latency option and boy did my aim improve. I'm also not seeing graphics nor physics take a hit. Maybe if I do an A/B comparison I would, otherwise, the improvement in my timing outweighs the imperceptible changes in the other stuff.

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
.. As realistic as the flippers and ball action seem to be, the flippers couldn't dent a marshmallow.

That said, it plays more realistically than any other pinball simulation (like PP always has), and now looks super sharp on a bigger screen.

For pinball simulation fans, these are great days we're living in.:)

This game should thank the heavens for users like you that continually project the glory of the past onto the future. I tried the game out and have no experience with the legacy tables and to tell you the truth its not that impressive. In fact it seemed very much "on rails" to me. The nvidia physx in Unity engine is way better than this.

To me your entire post stands as a testament to your (and other previous users) blind nostalgia. In reality my entire experience of it felt dated , overhyped and underwhelming.

ps .. zen are releasing aliens tables .. now that is something worthy of declaring: "These are great days we are living in" ..

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
This game should thank the heavens for users like you that continually project the glory of the past onto the future. I tried the game out and have no experience with the legacy tables and to tell you the truth its not that impressive. In fact it seemed very much "on rails" to me. The nvidia physx in Unity engine is way better than this.

To me your entire post stands as a testament to your (and other previous users) blind nostalgia. In reality my entire experience of it felt dated , overhyped and underwhelming.

ps .. zen are releasing aliens tables .. now that is something worthy of declaring: "These are great days we are living in" ..

You say Pro Pinball feels like it's "on rails", but go on to praise Zen :confused:

"Blind nostalgia"...meh, that's a lame statement, imo. I would say more but, ahh well...if you don't enjoy the game, then that's your loss, bud.

Last edited:

oqvist

Nov 23, 2013
You say Pro Pinball feels like it's "on rails", but go on to praise Zen :confused:

"Blind nostalgia"...meh, that's a lame statement, imo. I would say more but, ahh well...if you don't enjoy the game, then that's your loss, bud.

This view make it much more usable. But yes essentially it feels like the exact same as when I run it on a 21" trinitron CRT. In a year I will have a VR headset and run FX 2 VR and probably loose all interest in ever running pinball on a regular monitor or even cabinet. Pinball arcade I think is on the ball I doubt Pro Pinball guy is and tbh if it takes 3 years to remake timeshock how much time to produce a VR version?

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

Maybe "blind nostalgia" should be my new name-I can't think of anything more suited to me, besides retro-boy of course.

About the spelling of my current tag: it's a sarcastic jab at society's tendency to misspell everything in sight. (I'm no saint either, BTW.) For instance, while shopping for groceries the other day, I saw such things as "Wyngz", "S'ghetti", and "Mist Twst".

Back on subject, it's great to see PP coming along slowly but surely. I just need some practice-I haven't hit 300M yet. But my complaint about flipper strength may also be from using the triggers. TPA and PFX2 also seem to play better flipper-wise with shoulder buttons. I'll retract my previous complaint until I try playing it that way too.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012

Exactly. Move along. Enjoy Zen, because I sure can't. Glad someone can find enjoyment from it. I want to play pinball, that's why I choose Timeshock as my go to table above all else. Look forward to improvements.

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
Hey [MENTION=3]Jeff Strong[/MENTION]

Sure I agree with you ;) Although my point was not to compare zen and pro pinball in that statement , I was just pointing out that it is not so superior as others seem to say it is. I mentioned zen in regards to having something to be excited about. I hope that makes sense.

Actually my words may have been a bit harsh, I like a heated debate so perhaps I was stirring the pot a bit ;)

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I've just tried the low latency option and boy did my aim improve. I'm also not seeing graphics nor physics take a hit. Maybe if I do an A/B comparison I would, otherwise, the improvement in my timing outweighs the imperceptible changes in the other stuff.

Hey fungi, that is strange, on my side I get a significant decrease in performance.
What other settings do you use?
Vsync on/off?
Max light map size?

skyway73

Feb 16, 2015
A stupid question:

How do I get the update? I'm a Kickstarter backer (and not a PC gamer as you might have guessed!) Do I HAVE to install Steam?

Thanks

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I would recommend it, yes. and it is the only way.
Steam is not that bad.
The downside is I keep buying cool little indie games all the time.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Hey fungi, that is strange, on my side I get a significant decrease in performance.
What other settings do you use?
Vsync on/off?
Max light map size?

VSync on, Full Screen off, Graphical Detail High, Vertical Res at 1920. Using a vertical monitor.

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
This update is a great step in the right direction. Finally I feel like my $ and time are starting to feel justified!!

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
This update is a great step in the right direction. Finally I feel like my $ and time are starting to feel justified!!

I agree. The biggest and best fix IMO was the addition of controller support. Even though I'm finding out I'm just as lousy at this game with the control pad as with a keyboard LOL.

I remember the old PP games on the PSOne having a lot of customization options, right down to table condition (i.e. beat up like a real worn pinball machine) and flipper strength. If Timeshock had this option, a great achievement would be "P.O.S."-Score 25M with the table set to worst condition and weakest flipper setting.
EDIT: actually, it may have been table slope or flipper strength or both. I'm drawing a mental blank here....

It'll be interesting to see how things progress with this one. For now, one of my biggest gripes has been fixed.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
BRUSA and Fantastic Journey had the physics customization options (flipper strength, slope, playfield wear) in the original releases. Timeshock never did. It's been on their list of things to add for the Ultra version, but it's behind about 255 million other features.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I didn't get any free time to try the new version however in the forum about cabinet mode they said:

The first view posted wasn't great so he didn't enable it, but you can try it at least this way, knowing a better view will come later. He also mentioned before there will be controls to adjust the cab view.

anyone know where that config file is? can't find it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts