PS3 DLC Impressions

Mike

Feb 24, 2012
On the plus side - and maybe it's just me, but I think the flippers seem to have less lag than before.
There is definitely way less lag for me woohoo! This was unplayable on my Sony Bravia. The difference is night and day. Thanks FS. So glad to be able to play this version!

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
Just a quick impression: I cut my teeth on Medieval Madness, I played this machine at a local bar almost daily for a couple years. The DLC version is *very* good IMO, shots that I remember making on the machine are all there. I've played other versions of MM and nothing else was as close or as good as this version is. I can't wait to get some more time on it.

emb531

Mar 22, 2012
Just a quick impression: I cut my teeth on Medieval Madness, I played this machine at a local bar almost daily for a couple years. The DLC version is *very* good IMO, shots that I remember making on the machine are all there. I've played other versions of MM and nothing else was as close or as good as this version is. I can't wait to get some more time on it.

I was just going to ask about MM, glad to see it plays well.

Someone post video of CV please! Want to see the lighting.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
OK, so cough up some info guys. How's the flipper gap in MM? Are the outlanes evil evil in CV, or just evil? Does the Neon Multiball in CV look really cool with this new lighting? Does the lower level bumper close the gate in BH? And most important... any flipper lag?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've only had time to take a quick peek at each table, but the new lighting looks great to me.

MM flipper gap appears to be what it should be, so that's great to see.

ZForceFFC

Jun 7, 2012
I'm not sure if this is a glitch or not, but twice now on Cirqus Voltaire, I've had the ball fly THROUGH the right side of the field and off the screen into space, never to be seen again (another ball then appears on the plunger)

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
No longer spams me with the Facebook sign-in screen at the start. Saves my camera settings. <3 <3

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I've only had time to take a quick peek at each table, but the new lighting looks great to me.

MM flipper gap appears to be what it should be, so that's great to see.

Well hot damn!
In that case I'll actually bother to hook up the PS3 and try that version! I really hope that the Vita gets the PS3 lighting within a couple months.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I'm not sure if this is a glitch or not, but twice now on Cirqus Voltaire, I've had the ball fly THROUGH the right side of the field and off the screen into space, never to be seen again (another ball then appears on the plunger)

Not sure? :)

Peter NYC

Apr 17, 2012
I just played a very long game of Funhouse and scored 116,815,960. It plays identically to the original iOS version of the table.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012

Ahahahahaha . whoa , too much Red Bull buddy? I had a ball go missing last night on Ripleys , that call the attendent option comes in handy , but sounds to me like it's a hidden feature for CV and I hope I get to see it happen too.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Oh, I had that happen once as well. I wasn't really sure what happened, just that the ball was launched onto the table again.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012

That happened in Pinball Hall of Fame all the time, especially on Pinbot (it'd actually say "Ball fell off table" on the screen). I assume it's just a glitch in the collision model from the finite frame rate of the physics. Be thankful they at least give you a free replacement.

thorphin

Jun 27, 2012
Input lag feels worse to me, but it's probably just my imagination. TOTAN was and still is the worst by far. Some comments about CV: colors are much less saturated than iOS and the contrast seems blown out. The neon, though, is great. On CV, two or three games in a row (even after quitting to the main menu), two balls were dispensed to the plunger at the start of ball one. This was accompanied by a "Watch for Ball Kickout" message on the DMD.

Not enough has been said about the new physics though. In all the tables, the ball seems much heavier -- takes a bit more effort to get up ramps and whatnot... but more importantly the ball doesn't bounce around so crazily, so you almost actually see the ball moving around now! My scores have been much lower, but I think I just need to readjust to the new physics. Having just played several hours of REAL pinball last weekend on several of the Pinball Arcade tables, it does feel more accurate, for sure.

Other updates: "Installing Trophies" now shows at game start, but no new trophies. Facebook login spamming definitely gone. DMDs look good. Still need to get a handle on all the different camera angles. Verdict is out on the new color treatments. I think things are more accurate, but the tables are definitely less vibrant than what we're used to from the initial base tables at launch. Other than RBION, I'm not really noticing any difference in darkness in the tables, and I think the level is good (soo much better than IOS, which seems floodlit). Maybe I'm just used to playing pinball in dark arcades.

In case you missed it elsewhere, here's an interesting tidbit from a facebook comment:
The Pinball Arcade We realize many users enjoy achieving trophies on PSN. We plan to add the following trophies on PS3/Vita for ALL DLC tables (previously released and future tables) in the July or August update:

Top 5 high score: Bronze
Table #1 high score: Bronze
Complete Standard goals: Bronze
Complete Wizard goals: Silver
8 minutes ago · Like

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I'm glad to hear the lag issue is resolved for most, that the new tables are looking good, and that the ball finally has been tamed on Ripley's! It gives me hope that I might see Atlantis yet!

By the way, how are the outlanes on CV?

It does this on the iOS version as well. I think there's a hole in the collision mesh in the right wall slightly above the bumpers. It's not a game-breaking issue, as a fresh ball is auto-plunged before the errant ball even leaves the screen, but it is a little disconcerting each time it happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts