PS3 DLC Impressions

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I prefer the darker tables. More realistic and the lighting is absolutely beautiful. If I wanted to see the art in greater and brighter detail, I'd look at hi res photos on pinball.org. This is just my opinion. I know some want the tables to be brighter but for me that was one of the detractors from the HOF series.

PS. I can't wait for MB. Slobber, slobber.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The physics are indeed quite a bit better now. Even the logo on the XMB has been improved. Very nice update overall, Farsight.

Peter NYC

Apr 17, 2012
I also agree - this is a fantastic upgrade.

The ball on Cirqus Voltaire flies off the table on the right side occasionally on the iOS version as well. I'm pretty sure it's a known problem but it's not a game breaker since the ball gets launched onto the table again.

Peter NYC

Apr 17, 2012
Yes, MM is fantastic. The flippers look correctly spaced apart. The iOS and Vita version are still a bit too far apart.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The new lighting really improves the overall light show. I'm diggin' on Funhouse now and it looks great as well. The new physics are very noticeable on this table too.

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
Only spent a short time on each table. I like what I see on all of them.

For some reason, the sound seems even quieter. I was playing the demo for Closure before TPA, which seems like a loud game, but when I fired up TPA, it was so quiet I heard absolutely nothing until I turned up the sound quite a few notches. Still wish there was a bit more punch to the audio. Still sounds a bit flat and lacking the oomph I expect from some of these tables. And the knocker. Damnit! I want a bang out of that thing, not a tiny little snap.

Flipper lag seemed slightly better on BOP, but the rest seemed the same. I was really having a hard time on the dragon ramp of MM since the ball shoots down the lane so damn fast. Lots of lost balls on that, even knowing it's coming. The other ramp (mob ramp?) seems to drop the ball into the lane straight down so it comes down at a more reasonable speed. Also had the ball go thorugh the flipper a couple times on MM, which is a bit concerning due to only playing for a short time. Seemed to happen mostly during multiball.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I can't say for sure if the things I'm seeing are any different than the Kindle Fire version of Funhouse but I will mention them here. I am playing on a PS3 by the way.

After about half a dozen games, I have a number of issues/complaints:

- when a Mirror shot is made and the item you've won/earned is displayed, the display goes away far too quickly

- the plunger pull, at least on camera angle 2, is not right. The plunger barely pulls back, which is simply not right. There is waaaaaaaay too little difference visually between a shot that will blast the ball all the way around the loop and one that doesn't even enter it. This makes the skill shot waaaaaaaay harder than it was on the Kindle Fire.

- When Rudy spits out the ball after you get the million point shot at midnight, it pretty much invariably drains. I know this occurs on the Kindle Fire version as well. It blows my mind that that got past QA.

- When the Steps gate is open, far too often a shot up the ramp results in a ball that bounces and goes into the other outlane instead of to the steps plunger. I know that happens in real life but it's rare. It's nearly 50% of the time on the PS3.

- In half a dozen games, I had at least 5 shots that went through flippers. One shot went came off my right flipper at an angle approximately equal to 7 o'clock and through the left flipper.

- There needs to be a camera movement or angle that allows us to see what shots are lit on the Steps gate shot. We could move the camera in PHOF, why hasn't this been included in the TPA version?

- Rudy Hit shots off the left flipper result in STDMs way too often. Yeah, yeah, you need to shake the machine, but it still happens far more often than on a real table.

Overall, while I think in some ways the TPA version looks better than the PHOF version, I think I prefer the look of the PHOF.

Tabe

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
My impressions so far

MM - looks and plays beautifully. Absolutely destroys the PHOF version in every way.
BoP - Plays great, but spamming the same shot over and over and over again got old for me quickly.
Funhouse - Also looks and plays beautifully.
CV - See Funhouse and MM. Except for the part about the PHOF version of course, cause there is none.

The audio still desperately needs fixing though. I still have to crank up the volume on my TV when I play it. Why this hasn't gotten any attention at all yet is beyond me. The Android version sounds so so so much better than the PS3 version, and this is off of tablet speakers. It should be the other way around, really.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Do the red, white and blue flashers toward the back of the playfield on FH reflect off anything around them or are they flat looking like on the FH DLC gameplay footage? I remember Mike saying they were still working on the reflection for those flashers when they captured the video.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Do the red, white and blue flashers toward the back of the playfield on FH reflect off anything around them or are they flat looking like on the FH DLC gameplay footage? I remember Mike saying they were still working on the reflection for those flashers when they captured the video.

I just rewatched the vid and they look quite a bit better now. There's definitely some sort of flare type of effect that wasn't present in the video, along with reflection. Overall the lighting looks WAY better now compared to the video, and there's more reflection all around. For instance, the 3 lights along the plunger lane really reflect off the side.

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I just rewatched the vid and they look quite a bit better now. There's definitely some sort of flare type of effect that wasn't present in the video, along with reflection. Overall the lighting looks WAY better compared to the video, and there's more reflection all around. For instance, the 3 lights along the plunger lane really reflect off the side.

Great to hear...I hope these impressions carry over to the Xbox 360 version when DLC is released on XBLA.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
One interesting thing I noticed when testing ToM again was that the captured balls on the left seem to have lost texturing or something. Is that an oversight or are they painted pure white on the real life table? It's really a silly thing to complain about but I was pretty surprised since they were proper chrome style before this update.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
In MM it seems like the ball is coming off the damsel down ramp way too fast. Just flies past the right flipper.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts