PS3 Pinball Controller WIP

Groni

Jul 19, 2012
Ok, and another Mainboard is gone!! I don´t know why, I turned on the Controller with the home button, and all LED´s were on constantly on! Nothing happens...Time to order a new one. Oh Man this controller is ripping off all my money :(

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
Just an observation.
When I first saw the illuminated buttons, I was wondering how much extra power is going through the board. (my controller doesn't light up much) Maybe disabling the LEDs or having them run off of an independent power source would help.
Ultimately, your opinion is better than mine. I'm way out of my milieu here.

Groni

Jul 19, 2012
The Illumination has an extra power supply. It´s not connected through the board. I guess I did a short somewhere, while i was fixing one cable with "wire glue". I guess the glue did a short on some contacts. Good sign to never use that damn glue again!! ;)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Hey groni cant you splice the wires with some B-crimps to relocate parts for more room or just relocate nudgebox?

Groni

Jul 19, 2012
i used crimps for it. I placed a luster-terminal at the sides. The Buttons all have their own wires.

starck

Jun 7, 2012
This is impressive man! Patent that thing! :)

I'm wondering what the total cost for parts has been so far?

Nice work so far- I'm sure you'll continue to make it even better. Seriously- very cool.

starck

Jun 7, 2012
The Illumination has an extra power supply. It´s not connected through the board. I guess I did a short somewhere, while i was fixing one cable with "wire glue". I guess the glue did a short on some contacts. Good sign to never use that damn glue again!! ;)

I wish companies would specify if their glue conducted electricity sometimes for this very reason!

Groni

Jul 19, 2012
this glue is made to be conductive. It´s for repairs instead of solder. Very nice glue, but also very runny. Guess thats what destroyed the board.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Considering all the fake plastic instruments I have in my media closet from Rock Band and Guitar Hero, this is amazing. Doesn't get much more pinball realistic than that. Very jealous.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Now sell the rights to Farsight and some large accessory designer to mass produce for all of us. ;)
Joking, but if Farsight were to get involved (somehow) they could add program support for things like a real working fan for Whirlwind. I was playing the Williams version back in '08 and my window fan turned on at the exact moment the storm started and it was a neat moment.

Or how about some ambient light LED flashing synced to what's going on with the tables. Little things like that can draw you in. Lastly a cabinet knocker for when you get an extra ball or free game would be fun too.
Of course all of this is just wishful thinking. ;)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, as a home brew thing, it's obviously expensive. Figure what fighting sticks or steering wheels cost for a mass market kind of thing. So $70-$120 seems about right? Still expensive, but I'm sure there'd be a market for it. Add in blu-tooth connectivity or an iPad / iPhone plug in on the top so you could use it with console or mobile device. I'd almost think you'd want to make it like the DJ Hero turntable or Rock Band's keyboard, something that can fit on your lap, but at the same time could easily be put on something more beefy of your own making like the cabinet. Coin door is cool but totally aesthetic and not worth the added cost.

So hunk of plastic, wide like an actual table with buttons on side and a working plunger, navigation controls on top, and a slot for iPhone / iPad connectivity. For console make it wired with both PS3 and Xbox connections. Internal vibration and tilt sensor. Bada bing, bada boom, happiness. Build your own stand.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
You folks are describing exactly what many of us want as options for the eventual PC release...

The ability to use real hardware, lights, buttons, plungers, etc., as part of a cabinet build.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
For as many proposed DLC coming out an arcade style laptop controller with all the goodies motion,vibration authentic buttons and a plunger with bluetooth SHOULD be made. Id buy 1 at $100 but itd have to be solid.

Huffster

Jul 31, 2012
Great work! Please post a YouTube video of yourself using that cool controller, so we can see what it's like to nudge with it in a game of TPA.

Groni

Jul 19, 2012
Hey Guys

The new Board has arrived, so I will continue with the controller. Time to do some soldering again :)

Members online

Members online