Steam- Mac Version

tripleplonq

Dec 3, 2012
Is the Steam version different from the Mac App Store Version, graphics wise?
Or is it just the same version(iOS port) in another package?

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
Yep, same results. Show as complete even though it didn't download anything. Was going to check out the Mac version but I'll enjoy Fish Tales on pc for now.

dakati

Apr 25, 2013
Anyone got this working on Steam?- It's listed on Steam for download, claims to have downloaded the game then refuses to start, something about 'missing executable'.

I'm getting the same error.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling 5 times now, and the same thing happens every single time.

gypsyshred

Apr 12, 2012
I've seen this happen on other games. It was a quick fix in those cases, I'm sure someone forgot to dot an i or cross a t.

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
Good to see that it's 'SteamPlay' - buy the Mac game and you can also download PC version - good job Farsight!

night

May 18, 2012
Alright.. installed Steam for the first time, no TPA yet.
(I hit the full screen mode and had a hard time to find a way out! My mouse pointer changed in a black square and there was no exit to be found.)

night

May 18, 2012
update:

Installed the free TPA version, but when I want to play I get an error 'Failed to start game (missing executable)….
How do I get this to work?

open6l

Aug 5, 2013
There is a problem with the release. Can't blame you for wanting info (as we all do) but all we can do is sit and wait and keep trying until it works.

update:

Installed the free TPA version, but when I want to play I get an error 'Failed to start game (missing executable)….
How do I get this to work?

night

May 18, 2012
Ok, no problem, we wait. I thought I did something wrong, never used steam before. Seems a good concept.

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
It should be working now. A download should begin automatically. If not, you may need to restart your Steam client.

Turns out that Valve needed to hook something up on their end but they had left the office before we came to that conclusion. D'oh!

iamoneagain

Oct 4, 2012
Yay! It works. Now that bad news. Looks like a port from IOS version with post processing and a level of detail add. Does not have lighting effect like pc version. Like on Medieval Madness, the castle gate lights up with green around the gate on pc version. Also couldn't get the xbox 360 controller to work by just plugging in. Might be a driver to make it work. Based off a few minutes playing. going to stick with pc version and iPad.

Wanted to add, all games purchased for pc are included in mac version as well. Would be nice of steam made a iPad app, then would only have to buy games once for all platforms.

Last edited:

starck

Jun 7, 2012
Yay! It works. Now that bad news. Looks like a port from IOS version with post processing and a level of detail add. Does not have lighting effect like pc version

Yeah, I agree. I have the Mac version open in one monitor right now, and the PS3 version on another monitor simultaneously, to compare the graphics.
And, I'm also using a video of the PC beta for comparison (1080p): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j91-AFKyxU&t=04m40s
PS3 has some pretty wonky table coloration and lighting problems (previously discussed), but has table reflections, more lighting, etc.
PC looks best based on those PC beta builds I've seen.

Mac version totally looks like a scaled up iPad version.

The other thing is- THE SOUND ON THE PC VERSION. IS SO MUCH BETTER. Why is this. The mac, PS3, iOS versions sound totally overdriven compared to the PC version.

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
The other thing is- THE SOUND ON THE PC VERSION. IS SO MUCH BETTER. Why is this. The mac, PS3, iOS versions sound totally overdriven compared to the PC version.
The PC version has the audio sample rate set to 44k, while the iOS and Mac version are set to 11k. I can't speak for the PS3 as I have no part in it. The lower sample rates are due to engine limitations.

geoffreysinkeler

Dec 9, 2013
I just played steam on my macbook pro early 2011. Works ok. Same performance as the version via the App Store. I already bought some tables via App Store. 'of course' they are not available via Steam. Now I have to buy them again if I want to play them via steam?

Also, is this going to be the future of Pinball Arcade for the mac or will the App Store version be updated too?

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Both versions will be updated. However, the Steam version certainly makes things more accessible when it comes to testing and posting updates.

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
Mac TPA is a solid game, but the poorer cousin of the PC game. The lighting effects really make a huge difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts