Table Pack #20 speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
"Cue Ball Wizard" > "Eight Ball Deluxe" any day of the week, and twice on Sunday!

It's not even close.

Oh well, if getting "Eight Ball Deluxe" means that Sotie will stop ranting and raving about it, I'm all for it! ;-). (I kid, I kid!)

This would appear to be a pack that I have zero interest in. I'm just glad these two tables will be out of the way, so we can move on to better tables like "Fish Tales"!

I hope it's EBD-we need a serious break from this "Gottlieb overload", even though I actually prefer CBW.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I've been starting to really get into early SS tables recently (mostly by watching PAPA tutorials, especially weird tables Paragon and Nine Ball), so EBD looks really interesting to me. I kinda like inline drop targets, and it also has a sweet horizontal flipper that seems pretty important.

I understand people who think DMD-less games aren't as fun as alphanum ones, but it's a taste worth aquiring :) A lot of the depth in these games comes from the (often rather unusual) table layouts instead of rulesets.

I guess that's why I never got into Monster Bash: The rules are certainly interesting, but the actual layout is pretty boring to me, a very simple fan layout. I really love those wacky older table designs with odd angles and harsh drains.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
oh do i wish for EBD !!!!!! What a holiday treat that would be !!!!!! If it is CBW then we won't get EBD probably ever . How many pool themed tables will they offer. I could not quite connect the clues to anything it looked like some caveman with a stick for all i could make of the clues. P.S. no where do i see EBD is a "comfirmed" table unless i missed something.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Oh, ok.

Another alphanumeric pack... Seriously, next season, we've got to get some classic DMDs.

Neither of those two games are alphanumeric.

The only Alphas this season have been Dr. Dude, Pinbot, Whirlwind, Victory and Class of 1812.

There have been just as many DMDs: Cactus Canyon, White Water, Champion Pub, Terminator 2, and Tee'd Off.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Looking over the top 40 rated tables over at ipdb, there aren't many missing from TPA. I predict we'll get a surprise super table pack for December. ;)

N

netizen

All this hair splitting over the age of machines based on their display, LOL. How often are you looking at the display while playing, and does the display really interest you that much when watching another player do their thing?

Why not just define them by their Chip Set, or the most notable feature? Then there will be a more even comparable set of tables.
For example all system 3 machines (gottlieb/williams/Atari/Data East/Sega), or all WPC controller machines; there is a clear divider of the differences in WPC types.

This would make for less ambiguity for what isn't liked while adding a new level of Otaku style obsessiveness that most games don't even contemplate.
Just think of the sort of monetization option for FarSight given the completionists that exist already in this community.

Coming Soon: FarSight presents TPA:complete SYSTEM:1 - 80b/11c

Followed by the WPC and and Whitestar collections and so on ... It'd be a never ending source for employment, err enjoyment.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Basing the machine on their display has never been about the display itself, but about the ruleset. It's the DMDs that allowed more complex goals to be conveyed to the player. Imagine trying to tell the player what to do in TZ without a DMD.

N

netizen

Basing the machine on their display has never been about the display itself, but about the ruleset. It's the DMDs that allowed more complex goals to be conveyed to the player. Imagine trying to tell the player what to do in TZ without a DMD.

The DMD doesn't really convey all that much information in TZ, imo. Except in very specific spots like the super skill shot, the fast lock, umm Those are the only ones that really need to be seen otoh.
Play it with the HUD off and you'll see what I mean.

How did games like Spectrum or Catacomb communicate their rulesets to players without a DMD? A good use of insert lighting, callouts, and table design. In many ways the implementation and reliance on the display has been a handicap in the table design. Sheeeeiit! Look at Data East through the 90s, most of their machines could have been done without a DMD and it wouldn't have made much of a difference in game play (except for the odd video mode), but without that display to show licensed movie clips they wouldn't have had the same ability to market themselves.

In many ways it seems it was about the display.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
When I said "more complex goals", I meant more of them. There are 13 door panels to light up in TZ. Having the DMD must have freed up Lawlor in being able to let the player know what's what. Otherwise, that table's artwork might have been filled up with words all over playfield.

As far as playing without the HUD, I've played the table too much to be able to think what it'd be like as a new player not knowing the rules yet. Come to think of it, I had to read the rule sheet to know what was going on, the DMD didn't tell me jack. It was just pretty. Ok, nevermind.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
When I said "more complex goals", I meant more of them. There are 13 door panels to light up in TZ. Having the DMD must have freed up Lawlor in being able to let the player know what's what. Otherwise, that table's artwork might have been filled up with words all over playfield.
Fourteen door panels. Plus the "?" door handle for Lost in the Zone.

Twilight Zone's DMD does not generally communicate rules information as much as some later machines did. However, if you're a fan of the TV series and get the references, a lot of the animations help "complete" the TZ experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts