Table Pack #25 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
I think I might just create a "Post here if you think High Speed will be in the next table pack" thread. That way I can find out who all the awesome people on this forum are.

Going by your avatar, I assume you own one?

No, I'm afraid I don't have the space for any real pinball machines and even if I did, I don't have the know-how to maintain them properly (which are two of the reasons I like The Pinball Arcade so much). I just pulled my avatar off of a Google image search for High Speed.

And yes, that is the table I most want brought to The Pinball Arcade.

Last edited:

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
Wow! The graphics look so old at first you think someone knitted a pinball table out of string. LOL Thank God those ugly videogame graphics days are long gone.

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
;);)
I never knew this exists.

Watch it, guys. :)

PS: I like the idea that you always see the bottom flippers.

Rare's earlier version of Pin*Bot also had that.

And, one thing: it's cheap as hell. Not price-wise, but it probably is, but I mean about difficulty. It throws hazards at you right from the get-go and it makes it really hard to enjoy. NES Pin*Bot at least threw stuff from level 2, but High Speed... hoo boy.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Rare's earlier version of Pin*Bot also had that.

And, one thing: it's cheap as hell. Not price-wise, but it probably is, but I mean about difficulty. It throws hazards at you right from the get-go and it makes it really hard to enjoy. NES Pin*Bot at least threw stuff from level 2, but High Speed... hoo boy.
It's still impressive given the NES limitations that anyone could port a real pinball table to the system andvmake it work. I just think they went overboard with the extra elements. Definitely the ball gobblers really break the game to some extent. You have to "tilt" the table to break the ball loose or it drains. While I still consider High Speed a hidden gem, the evil ball gobblers really ruin the gameplay. What's probably worse, most people who look at the game cart think it's a racing game. So racing fans who pick this up will be disappointed by default, and pinball fans will overlook it. I wish I had a Game Genie code for infinite lives though. Both High Speed and Pinbot have extraordinary depth, but due to randomness both tables can't really be fully experienced without either save states or infinite balls. Pinbot changes color as you progress through the planets and eventually you get a triangular ball with whacky physics. But there's no 100% TAS video of Pinbot, only 1000000 points. Back to High Speed, here's a 100% TAS of the game that's a whopping 20 minutes long. The sheer amount of crap they added to this table not found in the original is insane. Either way you've been warned. Strap in and grab the popcorn:

Last edited:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
No, I'm afraid I don't have the space for any real pinball machines and even if I did, I don't have the know-how to maintain them properly (which are two of the reasons I like The Pinball Arcade so much). I just pulled my avatar off of a Google image search for High Speed.

And yes, that is the table I most want brought to The Pinball Arcade.
Good to see some more love for it :) If you want photos of any specific parts of the table, lemme know. It's not in showroom-quality condition, but I'm sure it'd be better than what you find on the net :)

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
You never know might be Austin Powers baby! To shag or not to shag? No seriously I hope we get both Highspeed tables.

ryzombie619

Feb 20, 2014
So if the licensed pinball machines like Addams Family, Star Wars, etc, are so difficult to obtain, what are the chances of these machines coming?

Banzai Run
Safe Cracker
WhoDunnit
Junk Yard
High Speed II
Medusa
Sorcerer
Phantom of the Opera
Big Bang Bar
Corvette
Cyclone
Diner
Earthshaker
Fathom
Ground Shaker
Mystery Castle
Big Guns
World Cup Soccer
Pinball Magic
Red and Ted's Road Show
Space Invaders
Vector
Xenon

Any ideas? lol

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
It's still impressive given the NES limitations that anyone could port a real pinball table to the system andvmake it work. I just think they went overboard with the extra elements. Definitely the ball gobblers really break the game to some extent. You have to "tilt" the table to break the ball loose or it drains. While I still consider High Speed a hidden gem, the evil ball gobblers really ruin the gameplay. What's probably worse, most people who look at the game cart think it's a racing game. So racing fans who pick this up will be disappointed by default, and pinball fans will overlook it. I wish I had a Game Genie code for infinite lives though. Both High Speed and Pinbot have extraordinary depth, but due to randomness both tables can't really be fully experienced without either save states or infinite balls. Pinbot changes color as you progress through the planets and eventually you get a triangular ball with whacky physics. But there's no 100% TAS video of Pinbot, only 1000000 points. Back to High Speed, here's a 100% TAS of the game that's a whopping 20 minutes long. The sheer amount of crap they added to this table not found in the original is insane. Either way you've been warned. Strap in and grab the popcorn:
*video*

See, that's what I appreciate about the two games: in comparison to other NES pinball games, or hell, any other pinball game at that point, you were getting versions of real tables, and they did get them right. It's also much more playable than any other pinball game on the system, honestly. Not even the beloved ones like Rollerball and Pinball Quest come close.

It's just the added crap that gets them down. Still better than the Game Boy version of The Getaway, though. Sure, it doesn't have any of the added fluff of Rare's two games, but it's a bad adaptation.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
So if the licensed pinball machines like Addams Family, Star Wars, etc, are so difficult to obtain, what are the chances of these machines coming?

Banzai Run
Safe Cracker
WhoDunnit
Junk Yard
High Speed II
Medusa
Sorcerer
Phantom of the Opera
Big Bang Bar
Corvette
Cyclone
Diner
Earthshaker
Fathom
Ground Shaker
Mystery Castle
Big Guns
World Cup Soccer
Pinball Magic
Red and Ted's Road Show
Space Invaders
Vector
Xenon

Any ideas? lol
Junk Yard is confirmed and there's a rather lenthy discussion of Xenon in the Pinball After Dark thread. Xenon has tits in it :eek: so it probably won't come to TPA, unfortunately.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012

Banzai Run
Safe Cracker
WhoDunnit
Junk Yard
High Speed II
Medusa
Sorcerer
Phantom of the Opera
Big Bang Bar
Corvette
Cyclone
Diner