Table pack #40 speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I like the idea of it being Joker Poker. How much of a possibility do we have of seeing Capcom tables at some point?

Possibility is 100%. They have the licensing rights to capcom tables. Obtaining a table at a reasonable price (or at all in a couple cases) isn't exactly easy. Plus a couple are probably too hot for the current rating the game carries. The biggest issue is that emulating the hardware might not be possible to have it running at an acceptable level on all platforms.

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
wonder if the last table of season 4 will be as big as Bram Stokers Dracula hmm

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Possibility is 100%. They have the licensing rights to capcom tables. Obtaining a table at a reasonable price (or at all in a couple cases) isn't exactly easy. Plus a couple are probably too hot for the current rating the game carries. The biggest issue is that emulating the hardware might not be possible to have it running at an acceptable level on all platforms.

Apparently Capcom pinball roms are a bear to emulate. Also, since we heard about Pinball After Dark in 2013, approximately zero tables have been released for it. But FarSight's recent amoral trick of selling Scared Stiff as a standalone for $5.00 (in TPA you can get both SS and Big shot for that amount, and even less with the season pass) brings about an idea. Instead of selling existing TPA tables as stand-alone apps, they could take some of the more racy tables and sell those as stand-alones just for mobile devices. Forget the console versions-it's not as if these tables would be released for them within this lifetime anyway.

Only issue would still be kickstarters. It would be much harder to raise them for a single table than as part of TPA.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Farsight already said Data East tables aren't a problem as far as Data East is concerned. The issue is that most of the Data Dast tables were based on Movies and of course nobody is interested in something like Laser War right now. We haven't seen TSPP yet because it'll require a license from Fox and likely more for each of the actors that did the voices for the table. There hasn't been a license heavy table yet that didn't require a Kickstarter.

Errr yeah thats my point, if the KS for TSPP comes about then it will more than likely also cover the Data East game also, hence why i said about a double pack as the license for TSPP would cover the same ground for the Data East table

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Errr yeah thats my point, if the KS for TSPP comes about then it will more than likely also cover the Data East game also, hence why i said about a double pack as the license for TSPP would cover the same ground for the Data East table
I think that would be the case if the target amount for TSPP was met and any overflow would go towards the DE table as a stretch goal. I don't think it would be included in the main KS goal. JMHO.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I also doubt the DE table would be an 'exclusive' for certain backers, as the expense of creating the machine AND buying it is still there. That would be a solid month + of tasking FarSight's people to work on something for a very select few that they'd see no revenue from.

RushDude2112

Jan 5, 2015
I am just going to throw this against the wall and see if this guess sticks. I am going with Rescue 911

weirdproq

Sep 19, 2013
It's going to be a Gottlieb for sure. There's been no Gottlieb's yet. I bet it might be Cactus Jacks, but it might be Krull (though that's just a wild guess since it's a prototype, but a Sony owned license), or maybe Close Encounters of the Third Kind?

Last edited:

The Night Flier

Jun 10, 2014
Sure Gottlieb tables are more simplistic, less flashy-more retro and perhaps as a rule a little more clunky than a lot of the other SS and DMD era tables but i don't get the hatred for a lot of their tables.I really look forward to all the releases of TPA including Gottlieb.Gottlieb is an integral part of Pinball history that should not be ignored.
Then again S4 has had no Gottlieb so far and there are still people who claim S4 is the weakest Season since Season 1.I seriously don't even remotely get that.Season 4 has been nothing short of amazing no matter what table #40 ends up being.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I also doubt the DE table would be an 'exclusive' for certain backers, as the expense of creating the machine AND buying it is still there. That would be a solid month + of tasking FarSight's people to work on something for a very select few that they'd see no revenue from.

Yes. DE Simpsons as a kickstarter reward tacked on to TSPP makes no business sense. It's not like TAF Gold where the bonus involved a few extra art assets and a ROM swap. It's a full whole extra table of work for what wouldn't be a full whole extra table of sales. The only way DE Simpsons makes any sense is as a full separate table in its own right someday later, like Elvira Party Monsters followed Scared Stiff.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Yes. DE Simpsons as a kickstarter reward tacked on to TSPP makes no business sense. It's not like TAF Gold where the bonus involved a few extra art assets and a ROM swap. It's a full whole extra table of work for what wouldn't be a full whole extra table of sales. The only way DE Simpsons makes any sense is as a full separate table in its own right someday later, like Elvira Party Monsters followed Scared Stiff.

Like I said, a stretch goal over and above the cost for TSPP.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Sure Gottlieb tables are more simplistic, less flashy-more retro and perhaps as a rule a little more clunky than a lot of the other SS and DMD era tables but i don't get the hatred for a lot of their tables.I really look forward to all the releases of TPA including Gottlieb.Gottlieb is an integral part of Pinball history that should not be ignored.
Then again S4 has had no Gottlieb so far and there are still people who claim S4 is the weakest Season since Season 1.I seriously don't even remotely get that.Season 4 has been nothing short of amazing no matter what table #40 ends up being.

I think am now a fan of Gottlieb's 1980s/1990s tables more than most PAF people (I like LCA and GoinNuts a lot!). But it just can't be denied that especially their Premier tables are a TINY FRACTION of the quality of the WMS tables made at the same time. I mean, it's just ludicrous to compare, say, Twilight Zone to Cue Ball Wizard. This isn't the NFL vs. college football, it's the NFL vs. a team of girls in 2nd grade.

I personally have some hatred for Gottlieb because they made cheap-ass tables in the 1990s on purpose, to sucker operators into buying them instead of WMS tables. In the region where I lived, this meant tons of Gottliebs (and Data Easts, I don't know if they were less expensive), and very few WMS.

Gottlieb in general is an integral part of history, but post-1982 Gottlieb is not, I think.

I love Season 4, but this is partly due to Farsight doing a fine job with their simulations. The real-life versions of Season 4 tables are a fair bit less notable than other seasons' tables, I think (through Xenon... with RS and another similarly noted table it might get very close... averaging the IPDB.org ratings of the seasons might be an interesting way of objectifying this). I was not excited about Season 4 until I finally got it, after Cyclone was released, and played it. I'm saying these things just to say that I'm not surprised at claims of S4 being weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts