Table Pack #56 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Wait, it can't be Jack's Open or Royal Flush. Those have a 10 of Hearts, a card lower-valued than a Jack.

Looking more and more likely for Ace High. The conversion should be...interesting.

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
Wait, it can't be Jack's Open or Royal Flush. Those have a 10 of Hearts, a card lower-valued than a Jack.

Looking more and more likely for Ace High. The conversion should be...interesting.
---
Thanks for the info. Assuming that this is a two-pack, any EM will be great (IMHO).

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
It would be unusual if they did two new tables from scratch since they have never done that before, which is another argument for Ace High. I like Ace High, so that and C37 would be fine. They've done Ace High before, so I'd like to see it appear sometime. If they do that, then they can [re]release Sorcerer with Royal flush later!

This is interesting - one of the first clues for a new table that is still in mystery. The best part is, I'm cool with any of the possibilities! Maybe they'll use their Gottlieb licenses for a couple months of EM's.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
It would be unusual if they did two new tables from scratch since they have never done that before, which is another argument for Ace High. I like Ace High, so that and C37 would be fine. They've done Ace High before, so I'd like to see it appear sometime. If they do that, then they can [re]release Sorcerer with Royal flush later!

This is interesting - one of the first clues for a new table that is still in mystery. The best part is, I'm cool with any of the possibilities! Maybe they'll use their Gottlieb licenses for a couple months of EM's.

No. As I described earlier, Ace High makes no sense at all.

Jacks or better = a pair of jacks or better
Ace high = no pairs, highest card is ace. A terrible hand.

Ace high is NOT better than jacks.

And the El Dorado EM was built from scratch. It uses no art assets from the City of Gold version, different physics, slightly different rules (but is scripted instead of emulated)

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
I'm not disagreeing that it doesn't make sense, just the possibility of potential faulty logic in the clue's creation.

Possibility for Royal Flush is there, with jacks or better needed for any bonus and a straight (Royal) flush needed to beat the dog's four aces.

However, without thinking too hard it seems to point to Jacks Open, and I'm good with any of them, though I certainly want to see RF at some point and they might as well throw in Ace High somewhere.

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016
No. As I described earlier, Ace High makes no sense at all.

Jacks or better = a pair of jacks or better
Ace high = no pairs, highest card is ace. A terrible hand.

Ace high is NOT better than jacks.

And the El Dorado EM was built from scratch. It uses no art assets from the City of Gold version, different physics, slightly different rules (but is scripted instead of emulated)
problem is: your reasons are based on logic, FS's - not :D and btw i'm not sure how many of them are familiar with poker.

kaworu

Oct 17, 2016

i'm agree on Ace High, but the Jacks or better is said by other dog - not same which hold carré of Aces

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
Its fun to not know for sure what Poker theme EM to expect and still feel excited for any one of them :) Im stoaked about this 2 pack!

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Well, I can take some of those counter-points. Though I would rather much prefer Royal Flush over Jacks Open.

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
Royal Flush is such an iconic game you would think it would come at some point, so Ace High or Jacks Open in the meantime is cool.

But C37 and RF would be incredible.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
"Jacks or Better," sometimes simply called "Draw Poker," is the most common variation of video poker. Payoffs begin at a pair of jacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_poker#Jacks_or_Better

Lowest bonus on Royal Flush is a pair of Jacks (or a pair of Kings):

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2035&picno=35217

Royal Flush would fit.

On Jacks Open it's more about shooting the indicated target, which could be 2 Jacks as well.

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1281&picno=8910

But I think in this case Royal Flush sounds more logical, as the bonus is defined by the highest achieved drop downs (at least that's what I think from looking at the table, never played it). So in order to get any bonus, you need Jack or better.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I'm not sure why you guys would prefer RF over JO. :confused: No multiplayer Gottlieb EM is going to have better rules than a single player just based on the "reset for each player" alone.

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
I'm not sure why you guys would prefer RF over JO. :confused: No multiplayer Gottlieb EM is going to have better rules than a single player just based on the "reset for each player" alone.

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this, other than to say, 'it depends.' Reset vs no reset per ball, complexity, and strategy are attributes that are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
For me, I prefer Royal Flush over Jack Open because of the layout. Jacks Open straight line drops is a bit too reminiscent old El Dorado for me. I'd prefer the angle of RF drops for a little chaos to the ball flow. Both have interesting areas above the drops, and I like both sets of rules. Just splitting hairs though. I'll play the hell out of either. If it was just C37, I'd still be thrilled.

Edit: probably a familiarity factor for people as well. At least where I grew up Royal Flush was a more common pin, plus you see it used in tournements such as at PAPA.

Last edited:

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
Royal Flush has a lot of brain breaking moments. Since the drops don't reset you really want to wait until you have the jokers to shoot them, but after you have one or two jokers you might have already hit a couple drops in the normal course of play so then it's better to finish off some hands. You want to get that right gate open, too, but what should you shoot right now? All avenues of attack are dangerous on RF and you must constantly revise your risk/reward trade-offs based on the current state....and where the darn ball is coming from. There's plenty to do on RF.

Jacks Open is actually the simpler ruleset and I like it, too. No matter what we get it's a win win.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I don't have a preference to any of these tables, as I haven't played them.

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
Edit: probably a familiarity factor for people as well. At least where I grew up Royal Flush was a more common pin, plus you see it used in tournements such as at PAPA.

It's a great competition game with very balanced scoring and the right save gate instead of an extra ball. Also, since you need to get the three jokers to light the special at the saucer, and the jokers max the value of the saucer, your objectives aren't compromised for tourney or home play.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
In our latest podcast we just assumed you quick responders knew the answer and we ran with Jacks Open. We might have to do a retraction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.