The Addams Family Kickstarter is LIVE

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
Are you guys seriously pissing and moaning about giving a few extra dollars to help support the cause?
No, because I am not and it is not a cause. It is a pre-purchase. Pretending Addams Family will be passed on if this fails is just marketing to get people to pre-purchase.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
No, because I am not and it is not a cause. It is a pre-purchase. Pretending Addams Family will be passed on if this fails is just marketing to get people to pre-purchase.

If the KS fails to raise the capital needed to secure the licenses, then where would the funds come from? Lack of success in the KS would strongly suggest that TPA could never recoup the cost of the license fee via increasing the price of the TAF table.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
Just backed TAF KS. We're over $30k!!!!!!!!!! And though it hasn't re-released yet, I mentioned the KS on xbox's forum and will send messages to my friends list on xblive.

Still have a ways to go....

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The entire point of a kickstarter - be it for TPA, some other game, or a physical product - is to get something to happen that would not otherwise happen. To do this, backers pay above "fair market value", in order that the product happens at all. The rewards are just there to sweeten the deal, to tempt people to pledge, or maybe pledge a little higher than they would otherwise.

This is not a pre-purchase. In a pre-purchase, the product still happens even if not many people sign on. In a kickstarter, if not enough people pledge, the product never happens at all.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
The entire point of a kickstarter - be it for TPA, some other game, or a physical product - is to get something to happen that would not otherwise happen. To do this, backers pay above "fair market value", in order that the product happens at all. The rewards are just there to sweeten the deal, to tempt people to pledge, or maybe pledge a little higher than they would otherwise.

This is not a pre-purchase. In a pre-purchase, the product still happens even if not many people sign on. In a kickstarter, if not enough people pledge, the product never happens at all.

+1

Like every business Farsight works on a budget. TAF falls outside that budget for licensing. I honestly can't believe the hemming and hawing happening here over a KICKSTARTER everyone has wanted for years. If you can't afford to pledge that's understandable. But if you have wanted the table and now are going to ***** about having to pay more for it while others take up the cause to make it happen, maybe keep that info to yourselves.

And if the KICKSTARTER does succeed and you had no part in it. Let me just say "you're welcome" for every time you boot up your purchased version of the game made possible by KICKSTARTER backers like myself.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
This is exactly what I was hoping for. If they added the season pass to the $100 tier I'd be all over it. I just can't see giving $100 for a few extra bells and whistles when I plan to buy the season and get this table anyway. I'd rather do the $7 just to say I helped out.

This. I asked Farsight via Kickstarter and got this answer:

Farsight said:
Addam's Family will be sold as a normal season 4 table, provided the kickstarter is successful, you will not be able to purchase the gold version outside of kickstarer though.

So if you plan to buy the season 4 pass anyway, you aren't getting any value out of the table itself from the kickstarter, just the higher rewards such as Gold.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013

The beauty of Kickstarter's business model is that it works both ways. Customers who just want to treat it as a (nonguaranteed) pre-order can do that. Backers who want to contribute extra for the sake of the cause can do that too and pick up extra rewards. Both groups are correct and neither should be telling the other that their approach is wrong.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I think not selling the Gold version down the line is pretty stupid. I get not releasing it for a period of time, but never at all?

That's not very smart business.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
I think not selling the Gold version down the line is pretty stupid. I get not releasing it for a period of time, but never at all?

That's not very smart business.
It is actually smart business, considering that plenty of pinball fans felt a little ripped off with Pro Tables after the Twilight Zone Kickstarter situation. They advertised the idea that you may NEVER be able to buy Pro versions of tables, and yet in the first week of release, there was the Twilight Zone Pro Table.

With this, if you want the Gold edition, then you need to donate the set amount. The only negative side is that there's only one Gold edition for the $100 edition, so if you play on multiple platforms it's fairly hard to work out which one you'd want to get it on considering there isn't an option for multiple Gold tables.

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
If the KS fails to raise the capital needed to secure the licenses, then where would the funds come from? Lack of success in the KS would strongly suggest that TPA could never recoup the cost of the license fee via increasing the price of the TAF table.
Where do the funds normally come from when a successful business wants to expand their line? Yes, yes, I know, I saw the video too. I just don't believe their are that unique of a company that they need to rely on the kindness of strangers to make ends meet. They have a library of 50 tables digitally produced that will continue to make money and a HQ in Big Bear, this is not a penniless start-up. They have decided to pass the risk on to their customers so they should treat them like customers and not reward their loyalty and generosity by charging them more.

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
There is no arguing that it is smart business, they are getting a free loan from their customers. I just to think it is right to charge those customers more for the privilege of loaning them money. If it is a business, give people something for their money no matter how trivial. $7 in advance for a $4.99 game is just wrong.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
The only way Farsight will make the table is through this kickstarter. if you want the table to happen, you need to donate to the kickstarter. if on principle you believe Farsight should foot the bill then don't purchase the table and boycott their product. it's interesting to me that some of you are such fans of the Pinball Arcade you belong to their message board, yet when it comes to the universal #1 most requested table, you like to ***** and moan about their business practices on their fourth licensed Kickstarter.

I agree the Gold Tier should get their pick of Gold editions out of the four Pro tables they also get. That way you could do two Standards and two Golds.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
It is actually smart business, considering that plenty of pinball fans felt a little ripped off with Pro Tables after the Twilight Zone Kickstarter situation. They advertised the idea that you may NEVER be able to buy Pro versions of tables, and yet in the first week of release, there was the Twilight Zone Pro Table.

With this, if you want the Gold edition, then you need to donate the set amount. The only negative side is that there's only one Gold edition for the $100 edition, so if you play on multiple platforms it's fairly hard to work out which one you'd want to get it on considering there isn't an option for multiple Gold tables.

Meh, we can agree to disagree.

From what I hear, the regular version is better anyway. I honestly couldn't care less about the Gold version, but it does suck for the people who DO care and have to be punished. I'm pretty sure most people don't have an extra $100.00 just layin around the house.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I can see what Rich is talking about. If it was only a $5 pledge to get the table, then I'm guessing Rich would be a backer. Isn't that what you're saying Rich? I've always thought of Kickbacking as a way of determining if a product could sell enough to take the chance to produce, therefore you offer your product at the price it would cost at retail. Extras are then included to add value to the higher pledges.

But, what if... $7 IS going to be the retail price of TAF?

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
From what I hear, the regular version is better anyway. I honestly couldn't care less about the Gold version, but it does suck for the people who DO care and have to be punished. I'm pretty sure most people don't have an extra $100.00 just layin around the house.

I agree. In the Kickstarter comments section Farsight said the Gold Edition would have a window of Exclusivity. I bet Gold comes out in Season Five just to spread the Addams Family wealth.

Hopefully we hear if there's a stretch goal table soon. I'd love to see another Paramount license like Congo.

DanBradford

Apr 5, 2013
I would be happy to prepay if that is what they want, to know they will not do this table at a loss. But I'm not giving a profitable business any free money, that is just them taking the piss.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts