The Best Music in TPA?

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
WH20 for me. It would be even more enjoyable if the sound quality on iOS was better.

The least they could do would be to use stereo sound, because even with nice headphones, it's very mono sounding and one dimensional.

Those pinball machines *are* mono! They could do some fake stereo imaging but it wouldn't be true to the original.

My favorite music: pinbot, cirqus voltaire.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
I've never been a fan of videogame of pinball music. Probably because I'm an electronic musician myself and I find the sound from those late '80s FM chips pretty tinny. I do absolutely love the fx generated from early-'80s games though, particularly the Williams ones. Stick them through a decent speaker and they sound amazing.

I'm also an electronic musician. I love those Williams FX too. There is a guy in northern California who has a modded Firepower that he brings to the shows around here. It has the sound system connected to a nice external speaker/subwoofer setup. Fantastic.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Monster Bash, definitely.
I don't like the music itself, but paired with the table, it's just perfect for the theme and mood the table represents.

I agree with this. The are some others that are good but this is the only one where the music is really an integral part of the table.

TripleT

Sep 23, 2012
Firepower is music to my ears. I wish they would pump Firepower's sound effects into the office where I work. :D

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Not that it is original but ST:TNG has the great Motion Picture/TNG theme song. Monster Bash is great and I love ToM, especially the organ part. Just feels right. Same thing with Cactus Canyon. No Good Gofers, AFM and Medieval Madness all have great music for their tables but I wouldn't say that it would be anything too spectacular outside of the game. Just songs that capture the feel of the theme.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
My favorite music in the game is actually Cirqus Voiltaire. I can'tt really explain why... It just reminds me of being at an amusement park when I was 13.
Agreed. The music fits the game perfectly...from the "Roonie" tune to the "Clown" end-of-game match tune, it's a joy to listen to and totally creates the correct atmosphere for the different sections of the game.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Firepower for me. It's not music though, just sound effects. It's really effective the way it slowly builds tension. Usually at least once per game it gets too intense and I have to cradle the ball and take a few deep breaths while I remind myself that "it's just sound don't let it psych you out".

KillerCobra

Banned
Aug 4, 2013
Firepower for me. It's not music though, just sound effects. It's really effective the way it slowly builds tension. Usually at least once per game it gets too intense and I have to cradle the ball and take a few deep breaths while I remind myself that "it's just sound don't let it psych you out".

I usually put the sound on "Mute" whenever I play this table, which isn't often.

As for my choice, I'd say Monster Bash!!!

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Wow, this one is tough for me...I mean I really like most of the music/sound schemes on display.

Cactus Canyon's music is really fun, and fits the theme amazingly, makes me feel like roping some cattle.

Centaur's "music" sets the mood really well.

Champion Pub is reminiscent of the classic maple leaf rag, and captures the time it's set in well.

I remember when CV was first released, the music blew me away, the ringmaster is awesome, the voicework. It's one of the better overall sound packages. It's like a circus theme with a strong sci-fi/fantasy groove to it. Top three pick in my book.

Creature's music set's it's own stage really well. I love the theme to this table among all of them as well, and the tracks were well picked. Wish they could get them all.

I love Dr.Dude, but the sound is annoying. I love the cheese though.

EatPM, nothing special, kinda cool little funk groove here but it's pretty bare bones. Would have been better on a newer board i think. But it is what it is.

Firepower: Nice and tense the whole time, not exactly music so not really a qualifier in this table.

Funhouse: The musical equivalent to the sound in Genie. Really I hate it. As much as I'm sure I would love the real table, honestly if there was a table that makes me want to do a long winded Olive Garden rant...it's this one.

Harley: Love the main theme. Rest of the sound ruins it though (one of the best matches in the game though)

MM: Seriously, does it even need explaining...the music makes this table just plain big...big and epic. Another of the better overall sound packages in the game...i mean..Ed Boon.

MB: It's awesome, every mode has great tunes. Why do I think the bride is voiced by Katie Sagal?

NGG: Another top rank overall sound package, the music actually fits perfectly WITH the voice-overs and the sound effects throughout the game. Everything meshes perfectly.

PinBot: Very Subtle. More of an undertone than actual music. I like it but it's pretty forgettable.

RBION: If the music from Indiana Jones wanted to be just as adventurous but less exciting, it would be this.

Scared Stiff: Awesome music and a good overall sound package, lots of Elvira quotes.

STTNG: Easily another one of my favorites. The theme is one that i sing when i'm bored. One of my favorite TV themes of all time and that's not diminished.
I mean....beedulubeedulu baaaaaa baba baaaaaaaa baba baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa badabadababaaaaa baaa baaaa badeeeleeebaaaaaa.... yea you heard it don't lie. Top three for me

ToTan: Good music and well themed...Camel race makes me think of Pirates of the Caribbean's theme.

Taxi: Fine for a bit but grates on me after some time.

Theater of Magic: Great, great, great, great, great. I feel the main organ theme in my stomach for God's sake.

TZ: It's good, but feels a bit mechanical to me. But hey, it's TZ, what else could the table do?

Whirlwind: Not bad, mostly pedestrian fare to me, doesn't speak to me but doesn't annoy me either.

White Water: Fits but doesn't jump out at me either. Not bad, not great.

AFM: Another of my top three. I love the entire sound package and the whole military pomp theme along with the callouts are flawless. Like MM but in the present.

TPA Main theme: Honestly, I kinda like it. The very beginning kinda sucks but later in when the guitars start to go...i actually like it a lot.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Now that CO1812 is out... Chicken Bawk Overture, anyone?

Also, not in TPA, but BK2K and F14 have some good OST as well.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Favourite music from the collection is Cactus Canyon. It's very fun and the way the music becomes frantic (but still upbeat) when you get multiball is really great. It never intimidates, but always keeps the sense of fun. Aside from that I think AFM and Scared Stiff are the ones I find myself humming the most.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
Centaur without a doubt. TOTAN i nice too.
I'm surprised som many like Whitewater, I can't stand the Yee-haw-mentality myself.

I'm surprised you think it sounds "Yee-haw", to me it reminds me of old DOS game music, around the ad-lib/midi era. I think it's really relaxing and has a unique vibe. Cactus Canyon is maybe yee-haw!

So anyway, I second White Water and Party Monsters, I nominate Dr. Dude, Pinbot, and Victory.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Basically anything System 11. Especially Whirlwind once the "guitar solo" kicks in.

I also find myself sitting at the menu just listening to the Victory tune. Definitely the most unique sound out of the currently released tables.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts