The Pinball Arcade Is On Its Way To The Windows 8 Marketplace!!!

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Forget about the Windows 8 Marketplace, TPA is greenlit. ;)

tpa win8 version is only interesting for ppl with mobile devices.

KingNeptune

Feb 8, 2013
Not true... definitely use win8pro on my desktop gaming rig and prefer not to install steam just for this. Win8 on all my desktop PC's in fact, not just my phones (wp8), tablets(rt & pro) and laptops (pro)
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Well that's up to you, if you want to use Steam or not.
But, as far as I know, the upcoming win8 marketplace version will be a light version for mobile
devices. That means. reduced graphics, lighting, physics ...
The real, advanced PC version will come out on Steam only.

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
But, as far as I know, the upcoming win8 marketplace version will be a light version for mobile

Interesting. Where did you get that information?

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Well in the first audio interview. Bobby just calls it a Windows 8 app. To me, "app" doesn't sound like a full PC game.
But of course, I could be wrong.

More importantly, they wrote this in the Newsletter 12.5:

Our 2013 plans include:

Releasing Pinball Arcade on Wii-U, OUYA, as a Windows 8 app for desktop and Surface tablets, and as a PC game with cabinet support

we are submitting our game to Microsoft for inclusion in the Windows 8 Marketplace. This version will be playable on all devices and desktops running Windows 8 (including Surface tablets and phones).

Playable on all devices... sounds like a light version ...

(maybe worth the mention, the mac version on the apple store is also just a light version)

Last edited:

Frostyglitch

Apr 3, 2012
Well in the first audio interview. Bobby just calls it a Windows 8 app. To me, "app" doesn't sound like a full PC game.
But of course, I could be wrong.

More importantly, they wrote this in the Newsletter 12.5:

Playable on all devices... sounds like a light version ...

(maybe worth the mention, the mac version on the apple store is also just a light version)

I'll go ahead and stop you there. Windows 8 has "apps" now because it's also made for Microsoft surfaces. These are full applications that are simply "Metro" friendly and are available directly from the Windows Store making them easier to install on a surface. They don't suffer in any way due to this convenience unless the developer chooses to make it so. Zen Pinball came out with a Metro version of their game at the launch of Windows 8, and it arguably looks better than it has on any other platform to date.

What you're thinking of is a "port". If Farsight chooses to make the Windows Phone the lead platform and doesn't scale it up for desktop GPU's..then yes the game may suffer in quality. However this is totally up to Farsight. On the Mac they chose to do a lazy port and didn't take full advantage of the desktop hardware. Point being this is a choice, not a requirement.

Sidenote: Farsight...what's the hold up on this platform?

Last edited:

dirtyvu

Feb 28, 2013

Biff, this is a completely idiotic post with no merit. at least have some facts before making a post like this. it just comes off as completely fanboyish. only fanboys have to make up stuff to get people to get the Steam version.

karl

May 10, 2012
dirtyvu. I agree with you that Biff's post is probably pure speculation and wrong also.

In his defense, he did say "correct me if I'm wrong."

PS! Man, do I wish the moderators would just ban the word "Fanboy" from this forum. Drives me bonkers every time I see it.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
PS! Man, do I wish the moderators would just ban the word "Fanboy" from this forum. Drives me bonkers every time I see it.

I've already been thinking about this and will be going over this very subject with Gord, Jeff and Sean. I'm getting really tired of seeing posts where certain members are name calling, whether it be directed towards a specific member, group of members or in generalization. Let this be a warning that we will be cracking down on this sort of behavior as it has no place on this forum.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Biff, this is a completely idiotic post with no merit. at least have some facts before making a post like this. it just comes off as completely fanboyish. only fanboys have to make up stuff to get people to get the Steam version.
Perhaps all these things are true, but even if they are, that still does not give you the right to start attacking him. Speculation, even probably-incorrect speculation, is allowed here. Otherwise, some of the forum sections would be very sparse indeed. We have special threads and areas dedicated to presenting only solid "official" information; Pin Wiz does a fine job of maintaining these areas. In other areas, members must expect to find speculation and opinion, and to make up their own minds about what they read.

If you really think a post is harmful and should be removed or otherwise dealt with, there's a Report Post button for this very reason; please use it.

I've already been thinking about this and will be going over this very subject with Gord, Jeff and Sean. I'm getting really tired of seeing posts where certain members are name calling, whether it be directed towards a specific member, group of members or in generalization. Let this be a warning that we will be cracking down on this sort of behavior as it has no place on this forum.
Agreed, the invaders are getting out of hand again.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
dirtyvu said:
Biff, this is a completely idiotic post with no merit.
I'm just speculating, bro. ;)
dirtyvu said:
at least have some facts before making a post like this.
We're on page 4. I have posted the newsletter before on page 2.
dirtyvu said:
only fanboys have to make up stuff to get people to get the Steam version.
The funny thing is, I told Farsight 3 or 4 times in another thread, that they should talk to EA to release their game on Origin ...
I ain't happy with a couple of decisions that Valve, Microsoft and EA take, but I still use their products ...
Frostyglitch said:
I'll go ahead and stop you there....
Aye, thanks for clarifying. I still have win7. Don't know much about win8. But win8 is also a operating system for mobile devices, right?
So I thought, they use the store to make their game available to all the customers who have a mobile device that runs win8.

This is from the newsletter: "This version will be playable on all devices and desktops".
This includes phones. Guys, we're talking about phones. Have you ever seen a full PC Game on a phone or weak tablet (not saying that all win8 tablets are weak)?
I don't think customers with mobile devices have to go through all the settings and have to lower the quality to make
it playable on their device. As I mentioned on page 2, maybe they release two versions on the store. Like they do it on the PSN (Vita & PS3).
But the one version that they submitted to MS so far, seems to be a light version.

Last edited:

grunger106

Feb 2, 2013
Just wondering if there was a timescale on this? My RT is great, and I'm getting by with FX2, but I prefer real tables......

Frostyglitch

Apr 3, 2012

Aye, thanks for clarifying. I still have win7. Don't know much about win8. But win8 is also a operating system for mobile devices, right?
So I thought, they use the store to make their game available to all the customers who have a mobile device that runs win8.

This is from the newsletter: "This version will be playable on all devices and desktops".
This includes phones. Guys, we're talking about phones. Have you ever seen a full PC Game on a phone or weak tablet (not saying that all win8 tablets are weak)?
I don't think customers with mobile devices have to go through all the settings and have to lower the quality to make
it playable on their device. As I mentioned on page 2, maybe they release two versions on the store. Like they do it on the PSN (Vita & PS3).
But the one version that they submitted to MS so far, seems to be a light version.

Glad to help out where I can. I frequent the Google plus page more than here these days, as I'm a contributor there.

Like I said before, I was quite blown by how great Zen looks in 1080p and it shares the Windows marketplace with phones/tablets. So yeah, I have no reason to believe that things will be any different for the Pinball Arcade. It's quite possible they may leave out anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing, as that's what Farsight did on the Mac. I understand Zen is looking to join the ranks of Steam as well, so we'll see if it looks any better for them. I discovered a benefit today that may sway a few people to decide to buy through the Windows Store if they already have Win8. With Steam you can only have one instance of your account up at any given time, this isn't the case with Windows store games. So my wife can be playing pinball games on the laptop, at the same time I can login to that account and play the same tables from my desktop.

I'm not biased or anything though by any stretch. I currently own nearly 300 games on Steam. I'll likely end up buying all the tables from both marketplaces and report my results for everyone.

dirtyvu

Feb 28, 2013

No. Phones are Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 7.5, and Windows Phone 8.

Windows 8 is Windows 8 for laptops, desktops, and tablets. completely different operating systems and completely unrelated. The marketplace for Windows Phone is not the same as the marketplace for Windows 8/RT.

In fact, you have to purchase whatever software twice if you want to buy them in both marketplaces and they are incompatible with each other since they're designed for different architectures.

Last edited:

KingNeptune

Feb 8, 2013
Windows Phone 8, windows RT, and windows 8 pro are all based on the same core OS. (you're next xbox!) As a developer native c++ or .net code can be reused across all 3 with only minor consideration for screen real estate, inputs/controls etc that vary between device form factors. Performance scalability is required even if you write for just one major hardware category such as desktop PC due to the vast variations in capabilities.

The store is still different between windows phone and rt/pro, but the platform merge continues...
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

dirtyvu

Feb 28, 2013
yes, the same core. but that doesn't mean cross-compatibility. you can reuse some code but you still have to program for the platform in question.

there's rumors that in the future, it will be a phone that runs windows 8, and that windows phone 8 as an operating system will go away but that's still quite a bit away and may never happen if the windows phone team has anything to say about it (just for the fact that mobile hardware is not powerful enough.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
I was just wondering if anyone has any information on what is going to happen with Windows 8 and TPA. I would rather buy from Microsoft than setting up another account for Steam.

I just got a new Win 8 computer and really love the interface. Very easy for me to learn - though I've wished all my life to live in the George Jetson era where you push buttons to get things done and this is pretty close.

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Be prepared for iOS-like graphics for the Windows 8-only version. Steam will support Windows 8 and have nice graphics, with soon-to-be PS4-like.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.