The Pinball Arcade Is On Its Way To The Windows 8 Marketplace!!!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I was just wondering if anyone has any information on what is going to happen with Windows 8 and TPA. I would rather buy from Microsoft than setting up another account for Steam.

I just got a new Win 8 computer and really love the interface. Very easy for me to learn - though I've wished all my life to live in the George Jetson era where you push buttons to get things done and this is pretty close.

Here's what Mike said in the PC beta thread:

We still plan to do a Win 8 version separate from steam. That will be sold through the win 8 store. It'll be compatible with win 8 tablets as well. I believe it was put on hold for other platforms and Steam. We feel Steam will be a bigger market (reaches Win XP to Win 8).

Also the Win 8 version we have done is for tablets, using mobile assets. So on a high end Win 8 PC it wouldn't look as good, so we didn't feel it was ready to release.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Be prepared for iOS-like graphics for the Windows 8-only version. Steam will support Windows 8 and have nice graphics, with soon-to-be PS4-like.

If that is the correct, then of course I will go for the Steam version. A human can hope though for a high quality Win 8 version.

Until your car can fold into a suitcase, we're nowhere near the Jetsons. :)

As long as I can push buttons for joy and also able get things done, I am happy. The only other Jetson's item I want is a Rosie the Robot and that's not far away. :D

Thanks Jeff for the update. At least one way or the other we'll have TPA on the computer - Yippe-Yahoo-

Last edited:

grunger106

Feb 2, 2013
So will the Win8 store version be released shortly after the steam one?
As in is it finished and just being held?

I want the steam one for my Cab, but I have a WinRT tablet which is dying for some proper pinball action!
(Then I can retire my HTC flyer whose sole purpose is TPA these days)

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
Bump!

Surface needs TPA!
Windows 8 phones need TPA!
My Windows 8 PC needs TPA!

If only the mages and sages and Farsight would only deem it so!

Steam version can come first, I'll wait, but I sincerely believe there is enough market share that it should be considered a viable dev branch at some point. I'd certainly argue it's got better legs to stand on than a 3ds version (no offense) and would allow for native DX11 move over to Xbox 1 and 360 if that mess ever gets sorted out.

In my perfect world, Steam would support some higher end options but would essentially be based in DX9 with options for 11 but Win8 would be DX11 with extra bells and whistles (better than PS4 lighting and 3d support SUPPOSEDLY for example) from the ground up. I understand this appears backwards from their current approach but with the horsepower at their disposal and the mindset of the average win8 user, I think they're missing the boat if it doesn't look top notch. Most games that I've played for any length of time design their engines around the maximum capacity of the platforms at the time then give options to dumb down things to allow for performance (Battlefield, Crysis engine, etc). This gives their existing code the greatest longevity with the least maintenance. If people aren't too happy now with some of the art imperfections, it will only get worse as the 4k and 3d helmets get rolling. I'm not saying both versions shouldn't be awesome in the "final version" but with Win8 giving you a reliable set of pretty nice minimums to program for, it seems backwards to me to offer a "more polished version" to the "general masses" than a controlled set of industry current users who have demonstrated a willingness to spend money.

Just a thought since they are going to really drop the prices of Win8 platforms as MS makes a stab at getting some market back and I'm pretty sure we'll see the old marketplace show up in Win9 and beyond.

Last edited:

grunger106

Feb 2, 2013
Bump!

Surface needs TPA!
Windows 8 phones need TPA!
My Windows 8 PC needs TPA!

If only the mages and sages and Farsight would only deem it so!

Steam version can come first, I'll wait, but I sincerely believe there is enough market share that it should be considered a viable dev branch at some point. I'd certainly argue it's got better legs to stand on than a 3ds version (no offense) and would allow for native DX11 move over to Xbox 1 and 360 if that mess ever gets sorted out.

In my perfect world, Steam would support some higher end options but would essentially be based in DX9 with options for 11 but Win8 would be DX11 with extra bells and whistles (better than PS4 lighting and 3d support SUPPOSEDLY for example) from the ground up. I understand this appears backwards from their current approach but with the horsepower at their disposal and the mindset of the average win8 user, I think they're missing the boat if it doesn't look top notch. Most games that I've played for any length of time design their engines around the maximum capacity of the platforms at the time then give options to dumb down things to allow for performance (Battlefield, Crysis engine, etc). This gives their existing code the greatest longevity with the least maintenance. If people aren't too happy now with some of the art imperfections, it will only get worse as the 4k and 3d helmets get rolling. I'm not saying both versions shouldn't be awesome in the "final version" but with Win8 giving you a reliable set of pretty nice minimums to program for, it seems backwards to me to offer a "more polished version" to the "general masses" than a controlled set of industry current users who have demonstrated a willingness to spend money.

Just a thought since they are going to really drop the prices of Win8 platforms as MS makes a stab at getting some market back and I'm pretty sure we'll see the old marketplace show up in Win9 and beyond.

Exactly - I want (and have the beta) steam version for my cab, but I have a WP8 and a Surface, so would really want the W8 version too!

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
The windows 8 app version will have cut down graphics, so it runs on more hardware (aka. surface RT). they did the same thing with the windows 8 version of pinball fx 2. Steam version will look a LOT better.

grunger106

Feb 2, 2013
The windows 8 app version will have cut down graphics, so it runs on more hardware (aka. surface RT). they did the same thing with the windows 8 version of pinball fx 2. Steam version will look a LOT better.

Sure it will - that's fine. If you have a desktop the steam version is the way to go, but the Win8/RT version is still wanted for the tablets and WP8...
Hope for some news soon....

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I'm confused. Why does everyone keep calling it the Steam version? Steam is just a digital marketplace for PC games so isn't it actually the PC version (for Windows 8)?
And you keep referring to the tablet/rt version as the Win 8 version, but isn't that actually just the tablet/RT version?

So for example if I have a Surface Pro 2 I would want the higher end PC version. right?

EDIT: I just noticed the dates in this thread. I'm guessing the PC version is pretty much vaporware at this point?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm confused. Why does everyone keep calling it the Steam version? Steam is just a digital marketplace for PC games so isn't it actually the PC version (for Windows 8)?
And you keep referring to the tablet/rt version as the Win 8 version, but isn't that actually just the tablet/RT version?

So for example if I have a Surface Pro 2 I would want the higher end PC version. right?

EDIT: I just noticed the dates in this thread. I'm guessing the PC version is pretty much vaporware at this point?

People call it the Steam version because that is exactly what it is. It is the version available on Steam. People also understand if referring to it as the PC version, it is the same thing. It would be playable on Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8 depending on what hardware you have installed.

The Windows 8 version, that is something different. There are mobile phones and tablets (I think) that run not on Android or iOS, but Windows 8. I'm not talking about Surface Pro, as that can run Steam. Windows 8 Marketplace is an app store, and TPA is not currently an app for that platform.

So no, the PC version is not vaporware, as it is very much alive and running today. It was put out through Steam because of the built in DRM, which was required by the licensees FS works with. Think of the Windows 8 version, that currently does not and probably will not exist, as another mobile version similar to Android and iOS.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Steam is not just for PCs, either. There is a Steam for Mac as well, and TPA is in there.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Steam is not just for PCs, either. There is a Steam for Mac as well, and TPA is in there.

The Steam version is afaik the only version where your tables are shared between 'platforms', in that you can play tables bought through Steam on both PC and Mac versions of the Steam download. This is because the 'platform' is Steam, and not the OS that the game is actually running on. I've verified this, although TPA plays like a dog on my wife's MacBook.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Saying a Mac isn't a PC would be like saying a Linux based PC isn't a PC so essentially the Steam version really is a PC version no matter how you slice it.
Technically, yes, but I've yet to encounter anyone who would refer to a Mac as a "PC" in casual conversation.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts