The PS3 "super patch"

nstalkie

Jun 30, 2013
Also, this patch is a complicated deal. It requires quite a bit of coordination. They (Sony) have to make sure both the patch and the replacement DLC content are available at the same time. It may seem easy to some of us, but it may be more difficult than we would expect.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
I fail to see the point of continuing to complain about something that, at this point, is out of FS's hands and totally up to SCEE.

Particularly, on a fan-owned and operated site that has nothing to do with FS or their business.

If you REALLY want to get a message to FS, well... SEND *THEM* a message. This board is not theirs. They recognize the value of it, and occasionally visit, but you guys keep getting pissed b/c they don't come here and reveal all kinds of dates and information is just weird. THIS ISN'T THEIR FORUM. THEY HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO POST HERE.

So let's just keep it real, and remember this:

The Super-Patch is finished - and it's awesome. Whenever it finally gets released in EU, is totally up to SONY SCEE - NOT FARSIGHT. Spend some of this energy pestering SONY to release the damn patch, and enough with it in here. We get it, it's not there yet. It is not the fault of TPAFans.com, FS, or ANYONE on this forum, so how about sparing us the multiple pages of teeth-gnashing and wailing. It's not accomplishing anything except cluttering up this thread.

Thank you.

maezun

Jul 21, 2013
This is the email I received yesterday from Farsight:

On 9 Apr 2014, at 20:50, Pinball Arcade Support <support@pinballarcade.com> wrote:

Hi there! :)

We were hoping today, but we haven't heard back from our Sony reps, so it won't be... we have no date yet, but as soon as possible!

--------

Thank you,
Pinball Arcade Support

Like us on Facebook for news on upcoming table packs, tournaments and more!

Want to join the Pinball Arcade community? Go to www.digitalpinballfans.com and join the discussion!

On 4/9/2014 12:25 PM, maezun wrote:
Hi

I was just wondering when the EU game patch will be released?

Thanks

Looks like it's SCEE that are at fault. In any case, I'm sorely tempted to invest in the U.S version of TPA. I just don't really want to fork out $80 when I have already purchased all the table packs on the EU version. Might be worth it though, it's definitely a dilemma...

pcraenme

Jun 18, 2013
I fail to see the point of continuing to complain about something that, at this point, is out of FS's hands and totally up to SCEE.
And I fail to see the point of complaining about people that are disappointed that the patch is not available for them yet.
I think everybody is entitled to post their opinion in this thread and on this forum?
Thank you.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
The sound quality on the PS3...more specifically, the sound effects from the actual table ROMS....is, has been, and continues to be, lower than it exists in the PC version, and, more importantly: lower than the 'real-life version' it is emulating

Yep, thanks for the quotes and your post.

For my part, it's easy to see that TPA sound has a low quality... by launching PHoF. On ToTAN, it's just day and night: sfx, music, voices are much clearer. In comparison, TPA sound is like you play in an aquarium.

Not talking about you guys that have to wait, that post was geared towards the people that already have the patch. I'm not going to point out individual posts.

Oh, in this case, my apologies. Whitout a quote (and right after our posts), I think you spoke to us. :p

Spend some of this energy pestering SONY to release the damn patch, and enough with it in here. We get it, it's not there yet.

Well, we react on the wednesday (last week and this week), the day it was supposed the patch to be available. And nothing more.

I think we'll react again next week wednesday, whether it will be available... or not!!!

So, like us at this moment, deal with it! :cool:

And as I said last time, if it was the opposite situation (patch in EU and not in US), it would be the same thing.

But I think I wouldn't give lessons, especially if I'm satisfied, and the others aren't.

maezun

Jul 21, 2013
I asked about the patch and the table packs on the EU PlayStation blog and this was the response I got:

maezun (10 April, 2014 @ 4:38 am):

@Jawad – Just wondered when the new table packs for Pinball Arcade will be available? They were released on the U.S store last week but they’re still not on the U.K store. Also, the elusive ‘mega patch’ for Pinball Arcade was released last week in the U.S but it’s still not available in the U.K. Farsight (the developers) are saying that SCEE are the ones at fault. If you could look in to this it would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Jawad Ashraf (10 April, 2014 @ 10:14 am):

The new DLC is currently planned for next week. Check back next week to be sure, though.

So yeah, looks like Fish Tales, Black Rose and (hopefully) the patch will be released next week in Europe. Fin :)

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
what the hell is it with farsight and setting not saving ? i'm at a loss to understand why on earth lighting,camera views and now sound do not save per table. ridiculous.
i'm becoming more and more frustrated and downright angry with this game and farsight.
as an ex boxer, and now ps 4 , with two kickstarters backed and still no working reward code for the ps3 version i have access too, i'm totally and utterly fed up.
YOU HEAR ME FS, I'VE HAD ENOUGH.
GRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
And I fail to see the point of complaining about people that are disappointed that the patch is not available for them yet.
I think everybody is entitled to post their opinion in this thread and on this forum?
Thank you.

Cool, yeah great keep on with the whining and griping. We love it. Man logging into the forum and reading 3 pages a day of misplaced frustration and whining is a real joy.

Post your opinion all you want, but the continual complaining over something that NOBODY here or at FS has any control over, is nothing more than a waste of time and bandwidth. What's the point? What part of SONY IS HOLDING THE PATCH UP do you not understand? It's *****ing for the sake of *****ing, and it's directed at the wrong people. Get it?

Is it speeding up the process? NO.

If it's THAT big of a deal, do what several others have done and get a US account. Jeez. Holy cow it's a pinball game, not a life-requirement.

Neil L

Aug 5, 2012
what the hell is it with farsight and setting not saving ? i'm at a loss to understand why on earth lighting,camera views and now sound do not save per table. ridiculous.

I brought this up a few pages back to be added to the to-do patch list:

One thing that needs to be added to the bottom of this list is:

7. Seperate savable option settings for EACH table for EVERY option:

Camera view: 1/2/3/4
Camera lock: locked/unlocked
Plunger cam: 1/2/3
DMD: on/off
Multiball cam: on/off
Event cam: on/off
Number of balls: 3/5
Dual stage flippers: on/off
Orientation: landscape/portrait
3D settings
Sound settings
Controller settings
Touchscreen settings
Tilt settings
Lighting Settings

What I mean is a seperate option menu on the table screens (that overrides the default setting which is set on the option screen from the main menu)

Thanks for adding this to the list (but you've only added camera settings and not EVERY setting)

Also could this also include the table exploration mode:
9. Option to remove HUD when table is in "pre-play" panning attract mode.

Last edited:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
The new DLC is currently planned for next week. Check back next week to be sure, though.[/I]

Thanks Maezun to have taken time to write to SCEE!

But:

The new DLC is currently planned for next week. >>>>>> Yahoo!

Check back next week to be sure, though. >>>>>> -_-

We'll see!

[...]

If it's THAT big of a deal, do what several others have done and get a US account. Jeez. Holy cow it's a pinball game, not a life-requirement.

Jeez. Holy cow, it's a forum, dude, not a "protocol" establishment. If we want to discuss about why SCEE stinks, it's our right.

Man logging into the forum and reading 3 pages a day of misplaced frustration and whining is a real joy.

I took the time to count. ^^

On the last 4 pages (= 100 posts), 32 posts about the EU non-release (including yours and those who whine about those who gripe = 6).

So only 26 posts about EU non-release. And 68 posts about the patch itself.

What's the point? What part of SONY IS HOLDING THE PATCH UP do you not understand? It's *****ing for the sake of *****ing, and it's directed at the wrong people. Get it?

As you guys seem to like these words: calm down. ;) It's just a forum.:eek:

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Keep-calm-and-carry-on-scan.jpg

While I don't find complaints about a delayed update to be the most pleasant reading either, so far no one's gone over the line. Just skip over the negative posts if they bother you.

amv71

Feb 29, 2012
I asked about the patch and the table packs on the EU PlayStation blog and this was the response I got:

@Jawad – Just wondered when the new table packs for Pinball Arcade will be available? They were released on the U.S store last week but they’re still not on the U.K store. Also, the elusive ‘mega patch’ for Pinball Arcade was released last week in the U.S but it’s still not available in the U.K. Farsight (the developers) are saying that SCEE are the ones at fault. If you could look in to this it would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

The new DLC is currently planned for next week. Check back next week to be sure, though.

So yeah, looks like Fish Tales, Black Rose and (hopefully) the patch will be released next week in Europe. Fin :)

Thanks for that update maezun. Fingers crossed, I might just buy the ps3 version if it does hit next week.

omisnad

Feb 22, 2014

That unfortunately means absolutely nothing. That's exactly the same stock answer jawad gives for other delayed content. Nearly always a false promise. Simple fact is Jawad is a simple pr middleman who knows jack.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
updated yet again...

update #9, 04/10/2014

I think Farsight has done a great job with this patch. Everything looks to be much improved!

Here's my attempt at compiling a changelog based on comparisons from pre-Super Patch data.
Thanks to everyone who has offered submissions. If you have something to add, which isn't already listed here, please let me know and I'll update it + give credit.

Added to TPA via Super Patch:
1. More responsive flippers.
2. Stereoscopic 3D *press triangle /\ and use right analog stick to adjust strength.
3. Audio mixing via sliders (sound effects / table music / menu music)
4. Default *Ching* sound removed when typing initials for high score allowing you to hear the intended sound effect.
5. Global contrast and saturation improvements on most table assets.
6. The dmd is now animated on the back glass of mm, NGG, and mb. They weren't before. (Submitted by Gorgar)

Changes noticed on tables:

ATTACK FROM MARS
Pop bumpers are improved *
Black seam half way up playfield art is now gone *

BLACK KNIGHT
No more scorch mark on the playfield!
Balls don't travel through the table.

CACTUS CANYON
Improved colors
Better camera angles (you can now clearly see the right outlane.
Guns look better (might be from better lighting?)

CIRQUS VOLTAIRE
The screen is much brighter and looks fantastic. Perhaps they are using a higher resolution scan?
The neon reflects on the insides of the table (nice effect!).
The whole table feels less floaty and much more fluid.
Ringmaster looks more 3D and polished looking.
Added lightning bolt sticker on neon tube & sticker to left of DMD on back wall & sticker on the highwire ramp.*

DR DUDE
Wow! The colors really pop on this.
Not much else noticed.

ELVIRA AND THE PARTY MONSTERS
Black seam half way up playfield art is now gone. *
Texture added to translucent Party Punch Ramp.

FIREPOWER
The pop bumpers are vastly improved. *

FUNHOUSE
The plunger now pulls back all the way *

HARLEY DAVIDSON
Table contrast and color saturation has been adjusted. No more "pale rider" ;)

NO GOOD GOPHERS
Contrast and muted colors were adjusted.
The playing field might be a little bit too dark compared to other tables.
Ramps are a nicer and more colorful shade of blue.

RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT
Probably the best looking table now!
Sharper table graphics.
Rails look more golden and now cast shadows onto table.
Ramps cast light differently and are a deeper red.

STAR TREK TNG
Table is no longer giving off a pink hue.
The table is much brighter and colors more vivid.
The gamer angle for probe launching has been improved.
The blue shield lights above the Enterprise are now correctly aligned. *

T2 JUDGEMENT DAY
Colors are more accurate.

TEE'D OFF
No more pink hue.
Palm trees look improved.

TWILIGHT ZONE
Better colors (no more pink hue).
Pop bumpers have a better than texture and look better when lit. They have a shiny 3D look to them.
Metal ramp looks improved.
Gumball machine looks awesome now!

WHITE WATER
It no longer crashes the PS3! :)
Table graphics are much cleaner.
Colors are more accurate.

* = submitted by shutyertrap
* = submitted by Grashopper

FUTURE PATCH REQUESTS ...."Mega Patch" ? ;)
1. Ability to play custom music either via the XMB or in game menu. (Would be perfect for Arcade Ambience mp3 background sounds!)
2. Online co-op play with option with voice chat.
3. The Pinball Arcade main menu overhaul.
4. Lighting day/night slider. (This was discussed by Farsight quite a while ago, but as of yet, not implemented.)
5. Improved pinball flyer scans (1920x1080 pixel or higher would be idea for consoles)
6. Further refinement and replacement of blurry table graphics (I.E. CFTBL - Title card, instructions, Universal Monsters sticker, and the bumper next to the KISS lane, Victory playfield is low res. )
7. Seperate savable option settings for EACH table for EVERY option: Camera view: 1/2/3/4 + Camera lock: locked/unlocked +
Plunger cam: 1/2/3 + DMD: on/off + Multiball cam: on/off + Event cam: on/off + Number of balls: 3/5 + Dual stage flippers: on/off + Orientation: landscape/portrait + 3D settings + Sound settings + Controller settings + Touchscreen settings + Tilt settings + Lighting Settings
(submitted be Neil L.)
8. The ability to view table instructions while game is paused.
10. Option for table glass and reflections (like in Williams Pinball Hall of Fame)
11. TATE mode for PS3 version. Perfect for rotatable screens.
12. Multi-controller support. (Submitted by MonkeyGrass)
13. Add Hall of Fame Scoring. (Submitted by Grashopper)
14. Add a "tournament" difficulty setting (which disables extra-balls) and separate leaderboards for it. (Submitted by Tann)
15. We could use more camera viewing angles. (Submitted by Budtki)
16. Improved sound quality with less compression than is used on the portable versions of TPA.

I still wish someone from Farsight would chime in with some other things that were updated here. I'm betting there was quite a long list of what was addressed in this patch and it would make us appreciate it even more.

=========================================================

I brought this up a few pages back to be added to the to-do patch list:

One thing that needs to be added to the bottom of this list is:

7. Seperate savable option settings for EACH table for EVERY option:

Camera view: 1/2/3/4
Camera lock: locked/unlocked
Plunger cam: 1/2/3
DMD: on/off
Multiball cam: on/off
Event cam: on/off
Number of balls: 3/5
Dual stage flippers: on/off
Orientation: landscape/portrait
3D settings
Sound settings
Controller settings
Touchscreen settings
Tilt settings
Lighting Settings

What I mean is a seperate option menu on the table screens (that overrides the default setting which is set on the option screen from the main menu)

Thanks for adding this to the list (but you've only added camera settings and not EVERY setting)

Also could this also include the table exploration mode:

OK, I added the rest of the settings. I was trying to keep it condensed and limited to a line or so.

Doesnt pressing triangle remove the DMD during table exploration in Pro Mode? I don't remember...

This whole thing is getting a it bigger than I anticipated. I'll add what I can, but forgive me if I don't get to every suggestion right away.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Nice work on the changelog, Spoonman!

Thanks Jan. :)

I keep seeing things that I think are different since the patch, but I really don't know for sure. It would be nice to have a side by side comparison, or a real changelog by Farsight.

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Thanks Jan. :)

I keep seeing things that I think are different since the patch, but I really don't know for sure. It would be nice to have a side by side comparison, or a real changelog by Farsight.

Any EU player could help you with comparing that old version with the new one...:rolleyes: Talk about turning a negative into a positive hahaha.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts