The PS3 "super patch"

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
I am salivating at what i am reading about this patch, i cant wait for the EU version to drop, my body is ready.

How about some pics from our US cousins to tide us poor EU PA fans over, go on, you know you want to. ;)

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
They've been able to patch those all along since they're part of the title game so no mega patch was needed for them.

They got patched. There is no WAY you can look at CV pre-and post-update and say they are the same table. FH has clearly had some serious work done to it. ToM is almost a different game. They were part of the 499MB game patch, not the DLC table packs, but they were updated as well.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Are you sure there was nothing fixed in those? We didn't have to redownload them on PS3 because all the table assets for the first two packs appear to be part of the main game and patches for them would've been included in its patch. The downloads on the store for the PS3 version of those packs are just a small unlock key.

They've been able to patch those all along since they're part of the title game so no mega patch was needed for them.

Damn, I forgot this.

It's maybe an explanation why the megapatch is delayed in Europe (apart from Sony Europe sucks).

MM/BoP and CV/FH packs are not part of the main game in european version of TPA.

I'm sure of it, because their download sizes were about 60MB each (not an unlock key)... and I had already discussed about this little difference in this forum. :p

So I suppose there is two different "main" megapatches (in size) and two more table packs to update in the european PS store.

EDIT:

Yep!

MM/BoP pack size is 143Mo (here)

And CV/FH size is 77.6Mo (here)

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The mega/super/enormously-gigantic patch is finally upon us. Is this the real life...is this just fantasy?

---stone---

Dec 23, 2013
Nothing for me to really touch on that already hasnt been said from both the minor things to how great it is. Its almost like, but might as well be, The Pinball Arcade 2.0.

Love the table sliders for sound effects / table music / menu music. Any possible chance in the future we could see this for lighting? Play field lighting, prop/toy lighting (brightening/dimming). and a dark, neutral, bright lighting options.

3D is nicely done though once you adjust things with triangle and r3 thumbstick. Just gave a some tables a quick play once over in 3D. CV, MM, Fun House, STTNG and Black Hole. Pretty damn good stuff. Like a breath of fresh air.

Not quite on par with Zen's 3D (maybe I'll need to also make some adjustments in my TV's 3D settings too) but its damn close. Maybe one, Zen, is built in and the the other, TPA, is patched in. Maybe that is why there is a slight difference in 3D. Regardless of that, its about damn time to play these games in 3D.

Great job Farsight.

amv71

Feb 29, 2012
Gosh I hope some FS forumites are reading this and not dwelling in the FB pit (honestly - you seen some of those comments today?). Clearly this is something that should be celebrated over at Big Bear Lake. And to be honest I'm wondering about buying a PS4 now. I'm UK so have yet to sample these delights. Please someone post a pic or 2!

Paul Petrissans

Jan 4, 2013
So what is the preferred Resolution to play this game to minimize flipper lag? Ever since playing on the iPad it has bugged me switching back to PS3.

Lazareth

Apr 13, 2013
Of course the day of release comes and I'm stuck out of town and away from my PS3 til the end of the week. haha Can't wait to get home and download all this stuff. :)

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
The flipper lag that I have experienced in the past is still there, in case people wonder if sth. has improved. Playing in 720p is the best option, as usual. With the patch the table look so much better now, it's awesome. Fantastic job by Farsight!

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I did notice on Firepower that I wasn't able to change the lit lanes spelling out F-I-R-E. Anybody else experience that?

That's an old bug. Your controller had to be set to controller 1 when starting TPA in order for the rollover selection to work. I'm no longer on the PS3 so I don't know if the megapatch changed this, but it sounds like maybe it didn't.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
The flipper lag that I have experienced in the past is still there, in case people wonder if sth. has improved. Playing in 720p is the best option, as usual. With the patch the table look so much better now, it's awesome. Fantastic job by Farsight!

Not feeling any of that here. I can finally play in 1080 and all it's glory. No lag, and the flipper response is greatly improved I'm even getting some juggling and live catching going on certain tables. It's a totally different animal.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I think Farsight has done a great job with this patch. Everything looks to be much improved!
Perhaps we can compile our own changelog based on comparisons from pre-Super Patch data.

I've updated a few things from my original post, but if anyone has anything to add please let me know.

Added to TPA via Super Patch:
1. More responsive flippers
2. Stereoscopic 3D *press triangle /\ and use right analog stick to adjust strength.
3. Audio mixing via sliders (sound effects / table music / menu music)
4. ...

Changes noticed on tables:

CIRQUS VOLTAIRE
The screen is much brighter and looks fantastic. Perhaps they are using a higher resolution scan?
The neon reflects on the insides of the table (nice effect!)
The whole table feels less floaty and much more fluid.
Ringmaster looks more 3D and polished looking.

RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT
Probably the best looking table now!
Sharper table graphics
Rails look more golden and now cast shadows onto table
Ramps cast light differently and are a deeper red

DR DUDE
Wow! The colors really pop on this.
Not much else noticed.

HARLEY DAVIDSON
Table contrast and color saturation has been adjusted. No more "pale rider" ;)

STAR TREK TNG
Table is no longer giving off a pink hue
The table is much brighter and colors more vivid
The gamer angle for probe launching has been improved

TEE'D OFF
No more pink hue
Palm trees look improved

T2 JUDGEMENT DAY
Colors are more accurate.

TWILIGHT ZONE
Better colors (no more pink hue)
Pop bumpers have a better than texture and look better when lit. They have a shiny 3D look to them.
Metal ramp looks improved
Gumball machine looks awesome now!

WHITE WATER
It no longer crashes the PS3! :)
Table graphics are much cleaner
Colors are more accurate

BLACK KNIGHT
No more scorch mark on the playfield!
Balls don't travel through the table.

CACTUS CANYON
Improved colors
Better camera angles (you can now clearly see the right outlane.
Guns look better (might be from better lighting?)

NO GOOD GOPHERS
Contrast and muted colors were adjusted.
The playing field might be a little bit too dark compared to other tables.
Ramps are a nicer and more colorful shade of blue.

FUTURE PATCH REQUESTS ...."Mega Patch" ? ;)

1. Ability to play custom music either via the XMB or in game menu. (Would be perfect for Arcade Ambience mp3 background sounds!)
2. Online co-op play with option with voice chat.
3. The Pinball Arcade main menu overhaul.
4. Lighting day/night slider. (This was discussed by Farsight quite a while ago, but as of yet, not implemented.)
5. Improved pinball flyer scans (1920x1080 pixel or higher would be idea for consoles)
6. Further refinement and replacement of blurry table graphics (I.E. CFTBL - Title card, instructions, Universal Monsters sticker, and the bumper next to the KISS lane.)

Last edited:

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Like I said. Wherever in the world you are, you need to be using the US version.

I bought the US version when it came out but switched to the EU one when it came out. Guess I can wait a few more days.. ;)

I'm diggin' the patch. Everything looks much improved. The ball and flippers feel snappier. (I never had a problem with flipper lag.)

I went into Ripley's to see if the lost ball glitch was taken care of. I had a ball seemingly lost about 4 or 5 times and the ball came back everytime. (Some nudging was still used) Some more testing is still warranted however. The physics seem unchanged. I managed to get get 3bil on my true first ball and I ended up with 15bil points (enough to leave a Mark...), tilted out my last 5 balls and called it a day. My Battlefield friends needed me.

For those that are still waiting, it's worth it. You'll see.

Squid, have the ball physics of RBION and the other original tables been improved? IMO they are a lot more floaty compared to the later tables.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts