Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
just speculation really with "we would like to"x100 from farsights pr

if you hear anything claiming otherwise yiu can safely ingore it for now

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
just speculation really with "we would like to"x100 from farsights pr

if you hear anything claiming otherwise yiu can safely ingore it for now

Right, and considdering that The Simpsons is a MASSIVELY valuable intellectual property, that won't likely happen. Got it.

DA5ID

Aug 27, 2014
Disclaimer - business and licensing are not my forte - but I always wondered why current licensing has to have set price point ($100k)- why couldn't it be a licensing partnership with the ip holders? For example (and a simplified hypothetical one at that) the price for the table is $3. $1 of the sales goes to the developer, $1 to the IP holder (to be distributed out as royalties to the talent however they see fit) and $1 to the platform/storefront. That way the profits of the table are dependent on the success of the product and the popularity of the theme? Again I have a MFA not a MBA... So enlighten don't hate!

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Disclaimer - business and licensing are not my forte - but I always wondered why current licensing has to have set price point ($100k)- why couldn't it be a licensing partnership with the ip holders? For example (and a simplified hypothetical one at that) the price for the table is $3. $1 of the sales goes to the developer, $1 to the IP holder (to be distributed out as royalties to the talent however they see fit) and $1 to the platform/storefront. That way the profits of the table are dependent on the success of the product and the popularity of the theme? Again I have a MFA not a MBA... So enlighten don't hate!

Depends on the specific licensing terms but what you described is already happening with other tables. The initial fees are what it will take to get the rights and the. Royalties are paid to the license/likeness holders from each unit sold.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I honestly think if TSPP is as expensive as TAF, it might be the first time a kickstarter fails for FarSight.

--Regardless of gameplay, there isn't a huge nostalgia pull for the table itself. It can be found out in the wild to this day, it came out after the pinball crash of '98, and Simpsons merch is so ubiquitous that I don't think you are going to pull in fans of the show that aren't pinball fans already.

--If FarSight runs another kickstarter the way they've run the others, that means once again there will be poor communication during it and a lack of a real push. Listen to our podcast about the TAF kickstarter to hear how they should be doing things.

--I hear from a lot more people these days saying they are done with kickstarters for TPA, and these were people that contributed to past ones. There is a fatigue, especially since the laundry list of issues people have with the game itself are rarely addressed.

Don't mean to be the wet blanket, but you guys are going to be in for a hard slog to get this one over the hump. Or at least that's my prediction.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
I honestly think if TSPP is as expensive as TAF, it might be the first time a kickstarter fails for FarSight.

--Regardless of gameplay, there isn't a huge nostalgia pull for the table itself. It can be found out in the wild to this day, it came out after the pinball crash of '98, and Simpsons merch is so ubiquitous that I don't think you are going to pull in fans of the show that aren't pinball fans already.

--If FarSight runs another kickstarter the way they've run the others, that means once again there will be poor communication during it and a lack of a real push. Listen to our podcast about the TAF kickstarter to hear how they should be doing things.

--I hear from a lot more people these days saying they are done with kickstarters for TPA, and these were people that contributed to past ones. There is a fatigue, especially since the laundry list of issues people have with the game itself are rarely addressed.

Don't mean to be the wet blanket, but you guys are going to be in for a hard slog to get this one over the hump. Or at least that's my prediction.

I'd rather they try and fail rather than give up before they start. You don't know until you try. Unless you post on a forum apparently...

There's an exponentially larger fan base for TSPP than TAF. TPA is back on consoles I think any kickstarter will do okay. I agree though that 100k is probably the max Farsight can pull off with how they run their Kickstarters.

Btw - how much extra did TAF kickstarter go over? Any bit of cash would help bridge the gap.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
We can only hope that TSPP will be available in the next couple years. I am a little biased because Matt Groening was born in Portland and he has said that The Simpsons is based on his experience in Portland. I don't know him personally; however, I know he is a kind an generous person. I would hope that Dan Castellanteta, Nancy Cartrwright and Hank Azaria would be affable to a deal. My thought the major part of what is needed for a TSPP kickstarter is that Fox would demand Megabucks for the right to this table; then again, I might be blowing smoke out my butt.

Remember that Fox was really burnt when they let George Lucas hold the merchandise right to the Star Wars franchise, which is now the property of Disney.

You're in charge to fix the deal Frankie.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'd rather they try and fail rather than give up before they start. You don't know until you try. Unless you post on a forum apparently...

There's an exponentially larger fan base for TSPP than TAF. TPA is back on consoles I think any kickstarter will do okay. I agree though that 100k is probably the max Farsight can pull off with how they run their Kickstarters.

Btw - how much extra did TAF kickstarter go over? Any bit of cash would help bridge the gap.

I didn't say anything about not trying. I'm saying some things need to change if they actually want it to succeed. The fan base is certainly larger, for the Simpsons TV show. I'd argue that for the fan base that plays pinball, there isn't a huge advantage, if any, the Simpsons table has over TAF. My main point is FarSight has to do something better in how they run a kickstarter campaign, because I think they are starting to lose more former backers than they are gaining new ones. That leaves a much higher price tag for those that are willing to kick in.

JJH516

Banned
Jun 4, 2014

I disagree with those statements.

First off, whenever I've asked about TSPP, the response I got was more or less: It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN the table is Kickstarted, as well as that it's 99.9% going to be the next one they're going to do. Plus, they said it would NOT be as expensive as TAF.

Secondly, if you think there's not a nostalgia pull for the table, than you're sadly mistaken. Just check any table poll that's been taken with TSPP as a choice. It's not only won nearly every single one of those polls, but if it somehow didn't mange to win, it was either an extremely close second or tied with the winner. Also, after TAF, TSPP is without a doubt the most requested table. It's constantly getting requested year after year, month after month, week after week. I'd say when you combine all that information, it's pretty clear that people want it and there's an extreme demand for it.

Now, in regards to the Data East version, that's a whole different story. I still think the table would sell pretty good, because most people love The Simpsons and the brand is a proven winner, but the table itself is obviously not nearly as fun as TSPP. The bottom line is that The Simpsons brand sells itself. It's still going strong to this day. I think of the brand like KISS, and what they've managed to do with their merchandise.

Lastly, how many years in a row have people said I'M DONE WITH THIS, I'M NOT DONATING ANYMORE TO THESE KICKSTARTERS!!!, and yet, those same people end up donating. If they somehow are not, no matter, the Kickstarters continue to be successful with or without them. :p

At least that's my take on it. I guess we'll find out next season, when I fully expect TSPP to be announced as the next KS.

I didn't say anything about not trying. I'm saying some things need to change if they actually want it to succeed. The fan base is certainly larger, for the Simpsons TV show. I'd argue that for the fan base that plays pinball, there isn't a huge advantage, if any, the Simpsons table has over TAF. My main point is FarSight has to do something better in how they run a kickstarter campaign, because I think they are starting to lose more former backers than they are gaining new ones. That leaves a much higher price tag for those that are willing to kick in.

I don't disagree that the KS campaigns are poorly run, but I honestly don't believe that the people who threaten to stop donating actually do so. I think they care about the pinball tables way too much. Again, just my opinion.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
As it was in our BlahCade interview with Bobby where he said Simpsons would be the next kickstarter, I'm not disagreeing (nor did I ever say that was in question). In terms of polls, I do believe Indiana Jones would actually top Simpsons but as we all know the slim chance that has, it quite often is not even a poll option. And I guarantee that has way more nostalgia, popularity, and love for the actual game play than the Simpsons table.

Of course that is all opinion and wild speculation. So let's talk brass tacks. TAF was the pinnacle of gets for TPA. A lot of people were not going to consider it a complete collection of games without it. I believe that right there drove funding. So if TAF is the summit...

My question is, do people honestly believe TSPP will fund just as easily as TAF, or will it struggle as T2 did? Should kickstarters continue to be run the way they have been, there is going to be one that fails. It is inevitable. I'm saying I think this one (depending on price) might be that failure.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014

Agree.

JJH516

Banned
Jun 4, 2014
As it was in our BlahCade interview with Bobby where he said Simpsons would be the next kickstarter, I'm not disagreeing (nor did I ever say that was in question). In terms of polls, I do believe Indiana Jones would actually top Simpsons but as we all know the slim chance that has, it quite often is not even a poll option. And I guarantee that has way more nostalgia, popularity, and love for the actual game play than the Simpsons table.

Of course that is all opinion and wild speculation. So let's talk brass tacks. TAF was the pinnacle of gets for TPA. A lot of people were not going to consider it a complete collection of games without it. I believe that right there drove funding. So if TAF is the summit...

My question is, do people honestly believe TSPP will fund just as easily as TAF, or will it struggle as T2 did? Should kickstarters continue to be run the way they have been, there is going to be one that fails. It is inevitable. I'm saying I think this one (depending on price) might be that failure.

I put Indiana Jones into the "Dr. Who, AKA- Never Going To Happen" category a long time ago. Yes, Indy was definitely the #2 most wanted, but I'm pretty sure that one is never going to happen. I hope to hell I'm wrong, but I doubt I am. Therefore, TSPP easily took it's place.

I have 100% faith and confidence that TSPP would be fully funded, and easily. Again, the franchise speaks for itself. I'm actually kinda dumbfounded on why anyone would even think otherwise? It's not like we're talking about Stargate or Freddy, two tables that are highly requested and would most likely need a KS, but might not have enough fan backing to make it happen.

Where we DO agree is how Farsight runs the Kickstarters, which are easily a joke. For every single KS they've done, there's been endless problems and failed promises. (If I recall right, people are STILL trying to get their rewards from the T2 campaign!) Also, it's been well documented on why T2 struggled. It was a game that wasn't highly requested, nor highly popular among other KS worthy tables. To be honest, I'm surprised we haven't had a failed KS campaign yet, as the rewards are usually pretty cheap.

I think TAF KS could've gotten more if Farsight had simply kept the fans involved. I mean, we got gameplay video a week before it's due out, as well as a video of them creating it. You're telling me you couldn't release this stuff earlier?!? Hell, even if you excluded that, you couldn't post update pictures on the Facebook or Instagram pages? You couldn't interview employees about the table, why the love it, and what they love about it? I mean, this is simple and easy stuff to do.

However, this has all been talked about to death already, and I don't feel like getting ganged up on by anyone because I, *Gasp*, criticized the company. Like I said, I guess we shall see what happens, but I think a TSPP KS, after a successful TAF KS, would be pretty big for the company.

JJH516

Banned
Jun 4, 2014
I did. I can't imagine I'm the only one.

I'm sure some actually stopped participating in the Kickstarters, but everyone who said they would?!?

Doubtful. (In fact, I can name a handful of people from the Forum, but obviously I won't, as it's not necessary.) :p

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
I put Indiana Jones into the "Dr. Who, AKA- Never Going To Happen" category a long time ago. Yes, Indy was definitely the #2 most wanted, but I'm pretty sure that one is never going to happen. I hope to hell I'm wrong, but I doubt I am. Therefore, TSPP easily took it's place.

I have 100% faith and confidence that TSPP would be fully funded, and easily. Again, the franchise speaks for itself. I'm actually kinda dumbfounded on why anyone would even think otherwise? It's not like we're talking about Stargate or Freddy, two tables that are highly requested and would most likely need a KS, but might not have enough fan backing to make it happen.

Where we DO agree is how Farsight runs the Kickstarters, which are easily a joke. For every single KS they've done, there's been endless problems and failed promises. (If I recall right, people are STILL trying to get their rewards from the T2 campaign!) Also, it's been well documented on why T2 struggled. It was a game that wasn't highly requested, nor highly popular among other KS worthy tables. To be honest, I'm surprised we haven't had a failed KS campaign yet, as the rewards are usually pretty cheap.

I think TAF KS could've gotten more if Farsight had simply kept the fans involved. I mean, we got gameplay video a week before it's due out, as well as a video of them creating it. You're telling me you couldn't release this stuff earlier?!? Hell, even if you excluded that, you couldn't post update pictures on the Facebook or Instagram pages? You couldn't interview employees about the table, why the love it, and what they love about it? I mean, this is simple and easy stuff to do.

However, this has all been talked about to death already, and I don't feel like getting ganged up on by anyone because I, *Gasp*, criticized the company. Like I said, I guess we shall see what happens, but I think a TSPP KS, after a successful TAF KS, would be pretty big for the company.

I agree with you on all of your points and I certainly agree that FarSight hasn't been doing so well with their Kickstarters. However I think the facebook and Twitter pages were a lot less active than they are now. I think the new PR has gotten the table across better and can hopefully make this the best Kickstarter since TZ.

JJH516

Banned
Jun 4, 2014
I agree with you on all of your points and I certainly agree that FarSight hasn't been doing so well with their Kickstarters. However I think the facebook and Twitter pages were a lot less active than they are now. I think the new PR has gotten the table across better and can hopefully make this the best Kickstarter since TZ.

Well, it certainly helps that TAF is the most requested, best selling pinball table of all time. :p However, I'm not willing to give Farsight enough credit, because again, they could've kept the fans way more involved this time around, especially by doing some of the simple things I suggested in my earlier post. I mean, who knows how much more money and attention they could've gotten by simply keeping the fans involved more.

As for the future, the true test will be when they decide to KS a less popular table, like Freddy, The Shadow, etc. A table that comes to mind specifically is TFTC. I'd be more afraid of that not getting fully funded Vs TSPP. I know it's highly requested, but how many of today's youth honestly know what the hell TFTC even is?

That's the scary thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.