The Simpsons Pinball Party Kickstarter [Speculation]

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
The nostalgia factor for TSPP is just not the same as it is for TAF. It just isn't. It's a popular license/theme, but TAF is an iconic table.

That being said, I think a KS would succeed if it were 75K or less, and TAF turns out great, and if it was done later this year.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Here's how to get a fair chunk of funding on TSPP if needed:

- $100-$150 tier get timed exclusive of The Simpsons (Data East) bonus table
- $30+ Simpsons themed room
- $40+ Color DMD

Basically need to figure out a way to get a fair number of people to pony up at the $100-$150 range - which an exclusive table (or LE version) will do. Then you need to figure out how to get the $10 and $20 backers to pony up a bit more - a new room theme at a reasonable price might do that. Then make a sweet spot offer that is both enticing enough and low enough to grab the largest bucket of pledgers that will make a significant dent in reaching the goal - color DMD would generate a lot of interest I believe.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I'm sorry, someone help me out here. Has there been any indication that TSPP is something that FarSight is working on or is this just rabid fan speculation to the point of being baseless hype?

These are the real indications:

- Farsight has mentioned TSPP as the next most likely table for a Kickstarter.

- Farsight has said that licensing for TSPP is possible (unlike say Monopoly where another entity in EA has exclusive rights.)

- Farsight has said that the cost for TSPP is an issue but may be manageable (unlike say LOTR and IJ that would cost a fortune.)

- We know the tech platform in Whitestar for TSPP is no issue (unlike Spider-man and anything later on Stern SAM which isn't emulated yet.)

That is the base for the hype. Anything beyond that is fan speculation, including anything about when it might happen which Farsight has said nothing about. But there's a solid enough base there for substantial discussion.

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
see for me i take anything from farsight with a heavy dose of salt these days as most do, so until i see the bugger i wont get into it

JJH516

Banned
Jun 4, 2014
The nostalgia factor for TSPP is just not the same as it is for TAF. It just isn't. It's a popular license/theme, but TAF is an iconic table.

That being said, I think a KS would succeed if it were 75K or less, and TAF turns out great, and if it was done later this year.

The show itself is iconic, which makes it just as equal.

Put it this way, we can argue the want and popularity of TSPP Vs TAF all day long, but at the end of the day, both have been the Top 2 most requested tables.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Here's how to get a fair chunk of funding on TSPP if needed:

- $100-$150 tier get timed exclusive of The Simpsons (Data East) bonus table
- $30+ Simpsons themed room
- $40+ Color DMD

Basically need to figure out a way to get a fair number of people to pony up at the $100-$150 range - which an exclusive table (or LE version) will do. Then you need to figure out how to get the $10 and $20 backers to pony up a bit more - a new room theme at a reasonable price might do that. Then make a sweet spot offer that is both enticing enough and low enough to grab the largest bucket of pledgers that will make a significant dent in reaching the goal - color DMD would generate a lot of interest I believe.

Great ideas - Farsight has stated that colour DMD's are out of the question though, they've been requested before for other tables.
They can't change the original game drastically in anyway due to licensing.
All the other ideas are practical and do-able though, imagine a Simpson double table pack, just like old times.
I actually prefer the old Simpson theme to the new one, even if TSPP gameplay wise is better.

Last edited:

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
I thought i'd be a fan of the color dmds but after playing a few different tables i gotta say i don't care for it. it's sort of distracting and the colors aren't the greatest. Either go full on Jersey Jack hd or keep it retro. I Love the classic look like on the Stern Star Trek table.

Last edited:

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
The Simpsons brand has been around for many, many years. If you can't figure out why a Simpsons related game, especially a pinball one, in universally loved, than there's no help for you. :p

The last time I asked, I was told that TSPP would notbe more expensive than TAF, and that it would 99.9% be the next KS. It's easily the 2nd most requested KS table, and it's from a brand that has a proven track record of making money. Now, as for LOTR, I can't see why on earth THAT table is loved as much as it is? I played it a few times, didn't see what all the fuss was about? As for ever getting it into TPA, that'll be a highly, HIGHLY expensive one to do. I honestly doubt it ever happens.

Oh I understand why The Simpsons themselves are loved. It's an iconic show/franchise! I'm strictly speaking from a personal standpoint about the TSPP table. I don't think its all that,or a bag of chips. I know that many people here love that table,and good for them. I'm just not,nor will I ever probably be.

If a KS for TSPP happens,I'll throw some money it's way,depending on what I can afford. But I'll be doing it strictly for my love of TPA and not because I want TSPP.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I'm sure some actually stopped participating in the Kickstarters, but everyone who said they would?!?

Doubtful. (In fact, I can name a handful of people from the Forum, but obviously I won't, as it's not necessary.) :p

I'm sure not everyone. But "everyone" isn't what you said in the post I responded to.

JJH516

Banned
Jun 4, 2014
Oh I understand why The Simpsons themselves are loved. It's an iconic show/franchise! I'm strictly speaking from a personal standpoint about the TSPP table. I don't think its all that,or a bag of chips. I know that many people here love that table,and good for them. I'm just not,nor will I ever probably be.

If a KS for TSPP happens,I'll throw some money it's way,depending on what I can afford. But I'll be doing it strictly for my love of TPA and not because I want TSPP.

That's a fair response.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
I don't doubt a TSPP could get the same amount of kickstarter backers as TAF, however, I just don't see the higher $$$ tiers that are needed for an expensive kickstarter to succeed selling well. I mean, because of the universal love for TAF, I could see quite a few people shelling out a hundred bucks for the table, but not sure that same love is there.

Ie:
The Simpsons brand > The Addams Family brand

However...

the TAF table fans > TSPP table fans

Still, I'd be willing to support it, hopefully enough people will too. Same as LOTR

karl

May 10, 2012
Giving out the original Simpsons table just for backers is probably the most insane suggestion I have heard. Making it a stretch goal is a cool idea, though. Spending a whole month creating a table just for the select few is utter madness

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Giving out the original Simpsons table just for backers is probably the most insane suggestion I have heard. Making it a stretch goal is a cool idea, though. Spending a whole month creating a table just for the select few is utter madness
They went halfway there with TAF Gold.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013

It would work similar to the TAF Gold version. It's a timed exclusive to generate higher tier pledges. After the table is created Farsight can offer the table as rewards for tournaments or contests to generate interest. Then when x amount of time has passed they can release it as a paid table (not included with a season pass) and recoup whatever cost they put in to creating the table.

They can't just do a $100-$150 tiers with Pro mode and Gold backer status to get people to pledge at those levels in any great number anymore. It's not really enticing. And if The Simpsons license is close to being as expensive as TAF they need something big to get people to pledge at those levels. For TAF $36,000 pledges came from the 336 backers at the $100-$150 tiers, which included the Gold edition table. That covered a large chunk of the goal.

Reaching the stretch goals would likely be pretty shaky if everyone is just pledging at the $10-$20 tiers with only a few doing the $100+ tiers - look at T2. And if the stretch goal isn't reached I think people would be pretty upset knowing the table has no chance of coming to TPA. As a high tier reward people can pony up to get it ASAP. And if they don't they at least they know it'll be purchasable down the road.

I think it's a good practice to tie another table as a high tier reward for any future Kickstarters, be it a new table under the same license or an LE version of the table, if available.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
i dint think yku can really compare taf gold with data east simpsons

correct me if im wrong but gold amiunts to minor art and texture changes and throwing in a new rom?

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
i dint think yku can really compare taf gold with data east simpsons

correct me if im wrong but gold amiunts to minor art and texture changes and throwing in a new rom?

That's correct.

The time/effort cost to re-create the TAF Gold edition would much less than doing it for an entirely new table. I would think they would recoup any costs on TAF Gold quickly once it's released for general purchase. Actually they'll probably make out pretty well on it. Creating an entirely new table would have an initial high time/effort cost but they would recoup those costs later down the road when its available for general purchase. I would think they could eat a delay in a single table release, particularly if its planned for. And given the delayed releases on consoles I have to think they have a buffer in place for those delays.

Perhaps I'm under the wrong assumption that if they score The Simpsons license that would cover any licensing costs for The Data East table as well. If they had to pay separate licensing costs for both, then yes it may not make it worth it.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yeah, it's not like the gold edition is a different layout. Chrome rails became gold, some color changes here and there, and the new ROM. These are but a few hours tops for FarSight to deal with. Data East Simpsons is a complete table build. It makes sense to have that be a stretch goal, but not an exclusive. TAF gold being exclusive amounts to nothing more than a custom ball pack in terms of time spent by FarSight. It doesn't cut into their bottom line, and they will be able to profit from it down the line in a major way as I'm sure it'll cost the same as a regular table.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.