Thread for irrational dislikes

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Yes! If I wanted to play a video game then I'd pay a video game (yes I understand the irony of that).
I think the exception would be TOM's video mode which is just so dumb (and knows it) that I find it funny

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Eep, never heard of banana flippers before, but it looks awful! Nothing irrational about disliking that.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Tom has a video mode?! Chhhh.... You don't mean virtual pinball on a pinball?! That's just too irrational :)

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Tom has a video mode?! Chhhh.... You don't mean virtual pinball on a pinball?! That's just too irrational :)

Take it one step even further. A virtual pinball on a virtual version of a pinball. Em Ee Tee Ay.

Mechanix77

Banned
Aug 31, 2013
- Tables with no Multiball.
- Terrible and annoying music. (See "Centaur" for details.
- Everything to do with "Gorgar".
- Tables that make you work endlessly for a simple "Extra Ball". (It seems I only have this problem when it's on a goal list. lol)

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
- Tables with no Multiball.
- Terrible and annoying music. (See "Centaur" for details.
- Everything to do with "Gorgar".
- Tables that make you work endlessly for a simple "Extra Ball". (It seems I only have this problem when it's on a goal list. lol)
That's is extremely irrational...nearly blasphemous to call out Gorgar and Centaur. These are both legendary tables, every aspect the epitome of classic pinball awesomeness.

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013

It's essentially the ultimate "yo dawg so I heard you like" scenario. (EDIT: Ah, damn... was referring to Fungi's "virtual pinball inside virtual version of a pinball" post. Still applies, though)

And while not exactly the same, let's consider that ToM also has that MK3 hints thing, which means they were trying even harder to bring in the videogame players.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
It's essentially the ultimate "yo dawg so I heard you like" scenario. (EDIT: Ah, damn... was referring to Fungi's "virtual pinball inside virtual version of a pinball" post. Still applies, though)

And while not exactly the same, let's consider that ToM also has that MK3 hints thing, which means they were trying even harder to bring in the videogame players.

...simulated on a phone, that tries to simulate a mobile console - take that, Alexander Graham Bell! :)

Arjan

Feb 23, 2013
- Games where you can keep trying the skillshot over and over again like eg White Water or Scared Stiff, should be only able to try once or twice and then drain your ball....
- Games where you can hold your balls during multiball and then keep shooting the same shot over and over again, again like eg White Water or Dr Who
These are very annoying and no fun to play (or watch) the game at all...especially in tournaments, I think you have skills doing this a 100 times (Million....Million....Million....Million....Million...etc etc) but to me it has nothing to do with playing pinball...

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
- DMD sequences that show vital info only for that split second while you should be paying attention to your ball,
- inlane/outlane special lit that keeps moving to your ball's opposite side...

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
- Games where you can keep trying the skillshot over and over again like eg White Water or Scared Stiff, should be only able to try once or twice and then drain your ball....
Eh, you can't do that on White Water. Usually the ball will hit the ramp entrance on the way down if you miss the upper playfield, awarding you a few points which disable the "ball saver".
Also, making the upper playfield isn't the skillshot, hitting the waterfall afterwards is.

Also, good luck holding one ball during multiball. It's pretty much impossible to shoot for the jackpot while keeping another ball cradled, unless you're great at staging flippers, and never miss the waterfall (which is a pretty tight shot)

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Eh, you can't do that on White Water. Usually the ball will hit the ramp entrance on the way down if you miss the upper playfield, awarding you a few points which disable the "ball saver".
Also, making the upper playfield isn't the skillshot, hitting the waterfall afterwards is.

Also, good luck holding one ball during multiball. It's pretty much impossible to shoot for the jackpot while keeping another ball cradled, unless you're great at staging flippers, and never miss the waterfall (which is a pretty tight shot)

I think his point is that if you plunge too soft, you can plunge again. You can theoretically do it in increments until you get the right strength. I find it much better to give it a decent plunge and nudge left when it drops out of the ramp, works like a charm.

Arjan

Feb 23, 2013
Doesn't that go for any table with a manual plunger? :p

I mean that if you shoot it too hard you can just let it go, the ball will be served again, this is in both White Water and Scared Stiff and surely I'm forgetting some, eg with a Roadshow this is not possible because it always hits a switch

Arjan

Feb 23, 2013

With the whitewater it is possible to hold 2 balls on the left flipper, then shoot the third ball up the upper playfield, and make the insanity falls, after that it will return on the left flipper, hop one ball over and do the same thing again, but then shoot the whirlpool, the ball shoots out on the left side which is possible to catch with the right flipper, this goes on and on, I've seen it done so many times, it's annoying and shouldn't be possible...in the tournaments it is only about who can make the most repetitive shots on these tables, it's pretty boring....

Arjan

Feb 23, 2013
I think his point is that if you plunge too soft, you can plunge again. You can theoretically do it in increments until you get the right strength. I find it much better to give it a decent plunge and nudge left when it drops out of the ramp, works like a charm.

You can keep shooting too hard as often as you can with White Water, it will not count anything unless it will hit a sllingshot

Arjan

Feb 23, 2013
oh and another annoying thing: Upkickers or scoopes which send the ball SDTM, eg Dracula or TAF (probably only some adjustment necessary) but even the new WOZ seem to have this problem when I played it last weekend...
and also orbits that come screaming back SDTM, eg Indiana Jones or some bad adjusted MM or AFM

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
With the whitewater it is possible to hold 2 balls on the left flipper, then shoot the third ball up the upper playfield, and make the insanity falls, after that it will return on the left flipper, hop one ball over and do the same thing again, but then shoot the whirlpool, the ball shoots out on the left side which is possible to catch with the right flipper, this goes on and on, I've seen it done so many times, it's annoying and shouldn't be possible...in the tournaments it is only about who can make the most repetitive shots on these tables, it's pretty boring....

I'm not sure how you expect to do that on a White Water. If you have a ball coming down to a cradle of two balls, there's no way to consistently bump one of them over to the right flipper and actually make an aimed shot. I'm not sure how you'd even be able to shoot the insanity falls shot consistently. I probably make it 70% of the time.
Also, the kickout is so random that you can never expect to catch a ball on the right flipper. In fact, on mine it's pretty much impossible to do - if I'm lucky I can bounce it over to the left and trap it there, which requires both flippers to be down initially, so that's impossible to do on a controlled multiball.
IF you have a consistent kickout, though, you should be able to keep whirlpool challenge going for a loong time though, which sucks. But good luk finding a WH2O with a consistent kickout :p

Same with the "plunging too hard" thing, as long as it scores point on its way down the spinechiller ramp, you lose your ball saver. The table you have seen must have a broken switch.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.