Thread for irrational dislikes

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I mean that if you shoot it too hard you can just let it go, the ball will be served again, this is in both White Water and Scared Stiff and surely I'm forgetting some, eg with a Roadshow this is not possible because it always hits a switch

So what you are saying is the ball save doesn't stop until you play an active ball for a certain amount of time? I think I understand you now.

Probably best to avoid triple posts btw.

Mechanix77

Banned
Aug 31, 2013
That's is extremely irrational...nearly blasphemous to call out Gorgar and Centaur. These are both legendary tables, every aspect the epitome of classic pinball awesomeness.

To each their own. I think they're two of the worst tables I've ever played.

For such "Legendary" tables, neither rank in the top 20. lol

As for video game modes, I'm slowly disliking them the more I play them on TPA. However, I love video sequences. I think they add a whole new level of fun to pinball. I honestly couldn't care less about scores, so just having nothing on the backboard but a score is pretty boring to me.

Last edited:

Mechanix77

Banned
Aug 31, 2013
Yeah, the compressed samples make that sound really nasty. The drowning guy makes up for it, though. HALP!!!

What I really hate: That idiotic gofer in Tee'd Off.

"You can't catch me, nananananana!
Did anybody teach you how to play this game?
Did anybody teach you how to play this game?
In case you didn´t know: You blew it!
Did anybody teach you how to play this game?"

And the main tune is irritating, brain-dead garbage. Even the DMD animations suck.

It´s weird, because I really like No Good Gofers, so I'm not against the concept of being teased, and NGG has great voice actors, their lines are funny and plentiful. But Tee'd Off is just... tacky. Even the backglass looks like a cheesy local newspaper caricature. I used to think that Lawlor was making fun of Gottlieb by taking their concept and turn it into an actually fun table, but I somehow don´t think he´s that sarcastic.

It´s literally the only table I find outright ugly. I can usually get a fair bit of entertainment out of every machine, I don´t get the hate for Harley for instance - it´s dumb, it´s easy, but I find it fun for a credit or two. But Tee´d Off, man... Well, at least it has Wagners Flight Of The Valkyries in it.

Oh, and the big advantage NGG has over Tee´d Off: You get to hit the gofers directly in the face, right there on the playfield.

I definitely agree with the "White Water" FX. I think "Funhouse" is worse, though.

As for "Tee'd Off", I've actually never played it, so I'm pretty excited to see what it's all about. What you described sounds like it's going to inspire me even more than those damn gofers do on NGG. lol

karl

May 10, 2012
I just have no love at all for NGG. Be it in real life or on TPA. Totally irrational dislike. Not really sure why.(music and callouts probably has something to do about it)

Not that fond of Funhouse either. (even more irrational) It looks fantastic but I never could get enthusiastic about it. No problems with other Pat L. machines. Very strange and totally irrational :D

There, I've said it

Zorgwon

Sep 14, 2013
- Games where you can keep trying the skillshot over and over again like eg White Water or Scared Stiff, should be only able to try once or twice and then drain your ball....

The skill shot in SS is to shoot the dagger hole and you have one chance only (if you dont make a very weak pull of the plunger which you can make on all tables that have one). If you miss the ball will eventually drain and the ball saver will autolaunch your ball.

I dislike the "music" of early "numeric" SS tables. I prefer the chimes of the EMs.

Last edited:

Arjan

Feb 23, 2013
The skill shot in SS is to shoot the dagger hole and you have one chance only (if you dont make a very weak pull of the plunger which you can make on all tables that have one). If you miss the ball will eventually drain and the ball saver will autolaunch your ball.

Not true, if you shoot just too hard it will not touch anything and fall down on the flipper, you can just let it go and it will serve a new ball, it is not a ballsave and thus will not be auto-launched, so you can try the skillshot again

Espy

Sep 9, 2013

Not true, if you shoot just too hard it will not touch anything and fall down on the flipper, you can just let it go and it will serve a new ball, it is not a ballsave and thus will not be auto-launched, so you can try the skillshot again

But the skillshot is so easy in SS that I get it 100% of the time! So why worry?

Exactly!

What's triple posts??

Not a pinball term. You posted three times in a row :p You can just edit your last post if you want to post more than once in a row, unless in exceptional circumstances, like if the thread is a few weeks old and you need to bump it.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
- Games where you can keep trying the skillshot over and over again like eg White Water or Scared Stiff, should be only able to try once or twice and then drain your ball....

Just to say I was playing WW last night and I finally understand what you mean. If you plunge too hard and it goes down the ramp, the ball is reloaded into the plunger and you can repeat as much as you want. Dropping to the right without hitting Insanity Falls or the whirlpool doesn't cause this to happen. Maybe it was a bug in the original software? It does seem strange.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
It does seem strange.

Not really. It's the typical "if ball doesn't trip a target, reload ball" rule. If Williams had placed a roll over at the bottom of that first drop, there wouldn't be an issue.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Not really. It's the typical "if ball doesn't trip a target, reload ball" rule. If Williams had placed a roll over at the bottom of that first drop, there wouldn't be an issue.

I thought of that, but there is one thing I don't understand. How come the machine can detect shots going up the ramp, but not down? Does it not play a sound effect when a ball goes up? Could be wrong. Probably, actually.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
No you're right. It does make a sound. But it doesn't give you any points. So let me revise my previous post.

"If ball doesn't trip a point, reload ball" rule. If Williams had placed a roll over that awarded 10 pts. at the bottom of that first drop, there wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
But the skillshot is so easy in SS that I get it 100% of the time! So why worry?

Not a pinball term. You posted three times in a row :p You can just edit your last post if you want to post more than once in a row, unless in exceptional circumstances, like if the thread is a few weeks old and you need to bump it.

Actually it was the rarely pulled off in competition QUAD post! :D

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Whirlwind.

It hates me and I hate it. Both in real and TPA. Every call out, any shot, everything. I played the real one for over an hour yesterday, did a really good score on it, but it's just no fun at all for me...

The irrational thing: I love those other Lawlor machines. FH, TAF, TZ, RBION, that have almost the same shots/layouts.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
Stern's "photoshopped" playfields/non-actor callouts. Hand-drawn art and just using call outs from the film would go miles for me. That being said, the gameplay is always what makes it or breaks it for me.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Stern's "photoshopped" playfields/non-actor callouts. Hand-drawn art and just using call outs from the film would go miles for me. That being said, the gameplay is always what makes it or breaks it for me.
Not irrational. Stern's artwork has always been godawful. Metallica (the one with hand-drawn artwork) is the first one that doesn't look all that bad. This is why they should do an original theme.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Just to say I was playing WW last night and I finally understand what you mean. If you plunge too hard and it goes down the ramp, the ball is reloaded into the plunger and you can repeat as much as you want. Dropping to the right without hitting Insanity Falls or the whirlpool doesn't cause this to happen. Maybe it was a bug in the original software? It does seem strange.

No you're right. It does make a sound. But it doesn't give you any points. So let me revise my previous post.

"If ball doesn't trip a point, reload ball" rule. If Williams had placed a roll over that awarded 10 pts. at the bottom of that first drop, there wouldn't be an issue.

Just to repeat myself, again-again-again - if TPA does this, it's a bug. The ramp entrance switch is supposed to award you points when going down the ramp, which turns off the ball saver. That's how it works on a real White Water.

That said, I'd rather it would not do this, as the ball can be really damn unfair, coming down that ramp.

N

netizen

Just to repeat myself, again-again-again - if TPA does this, it's a bug. The ramp entrance switch is supposed to award you points when going down the ramp, which turns off the ball saver. That's how it works on a real White Water.

Isn't whether this is a "Bug" or not to be determined by the ROM version?

Unless you have the exact ROM version on your White Water machine, it is a matter of updated programming, not a bug. Especially if you have an updated after-market ROM. Whereas TPA has the last official ROM build. There is a difference between the official ROM, and the updated by the community, or HUO ROMs

Speaking of irrational dislikes ....

morenoquinteiro

Oct 16, 2013
- Black Knight.
I know the table is a legend, so much loved, but I just can't like it, looks so boring for me to play.

- Funhouse
I kind of like this table, but meh. It is irrational, I just don't like it so much.

Weirdly, I like Going Nuts, the idea of playing a super rare pinball table (only 10 units or so), and the blue-themed art, with colorful little balls, is kind of appealing. The gameplay is a bit dull, but I like it (sometimes I enjoy dull things). It is different, at least, it is original.

I don't like tables with ultra repetitive vocal lines, like one in Microsft Pinball Arcade, where a guy with southern accent (like a cowboy) keep repeting "you sure wants to go for that ramp shot!", or something like that.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.