PC - Bug Tilt Sensitivity is bugged

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Perhaps this also applies to plunger control? I've found that the the plunger will pop out by almost 25%, with even the slightest touch on the thumbstick. There's no control over 0% - 25%.

But wouldn't that suggest it's too sensitive? Not the other way around, as the tilt problem suggests.

EDIT: I've just tested with the control panel, and the controller behaves perfectly there. ! Perhaps there's an issue with the deadzone settings? All of this might imply that it's too large.

I reported a bug on this a while back with no response: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/5418-Plunger-Deadzone-incorrect-with-Xbox-controller

It seems to be table specific with the majority of the tables being effected. The most accurate deadzone at the time was Funhouse, and the worst were Dr.Dude TOTAN and TZ.

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
This is also happening with the keyboard. I just tried on AFM - with the ball trapped I sat there pushing the "nudge right" key about twice a second and counted 50 nudges with no warning. It wasn't until I increased to about 3 nudges per second that I started getting warnings and then finally tilted.

Version .016

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for the confirmation on keyboard nudging as well. Hopefully they'll get this worked out soon as it's a pretty major problem.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I just tested using keyboard controls and it appears to be even worse. If you nudge once per second, you can nudge for infinity and never tilt or even get a tilt warning! I'm really surprised more people aren't commenting on this because nudging is completely borked as it is now.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I'm finding that tilt sensitivity is pretty well balanced on Haunted House. Using a wired controller I can give it quite a few small nudges with the analog stick, but three large nudges in a row will tilt it.

First impressions are that I would recommend the HH tilt settings for all tables. Any takers?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'm finding that tilt sensitivity is pretty well balanced on Haunted House. Using a wired controller I can give it quite a few small nudges with the analog stick, but three large nudges in a row will tilt it.

First impressions are that I would recommend the HH tilt settings for all tables. Any takers?

I haven't tried it with the 360 controller yet, but with the keyboard it lets me continually nudge once per second without tilting, just like the other tables. I just did 12 nudges in a row without tilting before I stopped.

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
I just pen-and-papered the nudging with keyboard, Xbox360 joystick, and iOS. My expected and actual results match up. We must be missing something... *scratches head*

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Since PC is the only version that has this problem, could it possibly be something with the code for allowing different controller configs? Just spitballing here since the problem doesn't seem to be with the nudge code itself...

Last edited:

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
may be Jeff could send some controller config files to you and then you'll see what exactly is wrong?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Beta Vs 0.020...the keyboard nudging seems much better. I can no longer nudge for infinity! Haven't tried my 360 controller yet, but will shortly.

I mentioned this in the iOS beta section: the tilt warnings don't reset for some of the older scripted tables (Big Shot, Gorgar, Black Knight, etc.). Black Hole seems to be the only one that works properly in this regard.

It would probably be best to do away with the warnings for these old tables since they don't have them in real life, and then just set their tilt sensitivity to a standard level across the board. Thoughts?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Alright, so I guess if I really slam the stick on my 360 controller it seems closer to the keyboard now. I don't remember having to hit it that hard on the 360 (especially Gorgar, which tilts really easy on the 360), but it's been awhile since I played that version. I knew something was off compared to the iOS version though. Good job on the keyboard fix guys, and here's to hoping we'll see a tougher tilt sensitivity option added to the Pro Mode, or better yet to a harder difficulty mode. I'd definitely pay for that! :)

Last edited:

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Alright, so I guess if I really slam the stick on my 360 controller it seems closer to the keyboard now. I don't remember having to hit it that hard on the 360 (especially Gorgar, which tilts really easy on the 360), but it's been awhile since I played that version.

Jeff, I think you're right. I also seem to remember Gorgar's tilt on 360 was easy to trigger, and that was no bad thing :)

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
On .021, I'm not noticing any improvement in tilt sensitivity with the keyboard. I can still nudge 1-2 times per second and never tilt. If I increase to 3+ per second, it does eventually tilt. I tried AFM and Gorgar, but was unable to use turn on the tilt meter due to the Extras menu freezing the game, as others have reported.

I'll admit I didn't test .020 where Jeff claimed it was better, but I'm seeing the same results I had earlier (.016).

OS Version: Windows 7
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460
Ram: 4GB
Version #: .021
Display Mode: Full Screen
Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
Ok, I just tried a direct comparison of Attack From Mars on iOS (first gen iPad) and PC.

I had iOS set to "touchscreen" nudging, where the top half of the screen is basically divided into invisible nudge buttons. As far as I can tell, there are 5 "zones" that nudge in these directions: left, right, up, up/left and up/right. My test consisted of trapping the ball on either flipper and then nudging.

I noticed two interesting things:

#1: On iOS, the up/right nudge does not have the same sensitivity as the other four. The other four give a warning after 2 nudges in about a second. But for up/right, you really have to abuse it for a long time to get a warning (more like 20 nudges in 8 seconds maybe).

#2: Nudges on iOS have much more power. The camera/table appears to move a lot on both, but trap a ball on a flipper and then nudge straight up. On PC, the ball will hardly move, but on iOS, it will jump up a distance equal to about 75% of its diameter. I think this is why the tilts are so hard to trigger (similar to Jeff's findings with small vs large nudges on a controller)!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
On .021, I'm not noticing any improvement in tilt sensitivity with the keyboard. I can still nudge 1-2 times per second and never tilt. If I increase to 3+ per second, it does eventually tilt. I tried AFM and Gorgar, but was unable to use turn on the tilt meter due to the Extras menu freezing the game, as others have reported.

I'll admit I didn't test .020 where Jeff claimed it was better, but I'm seeing the same results I had earlier (.016).

OS Version: Windows 7
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460
Ram: 4GB
Version #: .021
Display Mode: Full Screen
Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Aye, it seems the keyboard nudging has reverted to being underpowered again in .021

alystair

Sep 22, 2013
Confirming the change in .21, used to get a warning doing an up/left nudge at the same time on Twilight Zone, now nothing happens at all.... also feels weaker.

I'm on PC version - how do I access the tilt meter?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.