timeframe on dx11

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Cab support seems to be dead. No mention of it in last newsletter. I have lost faith in FS. Too bad. Could have been great on cab with a little proper support. Wish someone would hack it so we could get real progress. Sad but true.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
I have lost faith in FS.

Cause they're only working on a pinball simulation game on at least 8 different platforms, with some 44 tables released and a new one coming out every month but haven't been super up to date on a niche feature which probably has no other useful information than 'still in development'. What a bunch of brainless do nothings, amirite or amirite?

priested

Nov 7, 2013
But they cut the tables released per month in half. Seems that would have freed up at least a little time. Actually, we were told a while back that cab features we're low priority and understandably so but I'm truly surprised we haven't seen DX11 yet. We were told that was higher up in the priority list and that it would likely come 1st qtr 2014 if I recall correctly. Personally, I would be satisfied with DX11 and ability to rotate screen in game...for now :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
But they cut the tables released per month in half. Seems that would have freed up at least a little time. Actually, we were told a while back that cab features we're low priority and understandably so but I'm truly surprised we haven't seen DX11 yet. We were told that was higher up in the priority list and that it would likely come 1st qtr 2014 if I recall correctly. Personally, I would be satisfied with DX11 and ability to rotate screen in game...for now :)

Yes, plus it sounds like the initial sales for PC were fairly good, so it would've been nice to see PC specific features (DX11, cab support) more of a priority by the management.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Yes, plus it sounds like the initial sales for PC were fairly good, so it would've been nice to see PC specific features (DX11, cab support) more of a priority by the management.

Visual Pinball is moving at a much faster pace than PA. The latest Physics engine is incredibly impressive, with nice momentum handling, ball spin, flipper solenoid simulation (long press means more power), better flipper accuracy with ability to do most tricks, etc. The graphics are getting better and better with new lighting features already implemented with more to come. VP already supports real DMDs with PinDMD, and backglasses on another screen for DMD, SS and EMs. Plus we will see tables that we will never see in PA.

I would love PA to catch up to bring Pinball with cab support to the masses, but I don't think it will happen now - it's been too long.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
That's why I am done with TPA after season 3. If they refuse to support cab, I won't support them any longer on any platform. After my season passes are done, good bye. I will just have to learn to like Zen. At least they support cab.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
There is no plan to drop cabinet support. It's still in my office, and I work on it when I have free time. Most of my free time has been taking up with getting Xbox 360 back out there.

priested

Nov 7, 2013
That is nice to hear but I think people would like to know a general idea of when we will see some of these features. A while back we were told that DX11 would probably come first. That is the subject of this thread and has little to do with cabinet. Do you have any idea when we might see the DX11 lighting upgrades?

Much of the reason you see so many complaints is that we have little to no information. The DX11 tease was dropped on us last year and we have received very little since other than a vague reference a while back that we might see it 1st qtr 2014. Well that has come and gone with no hint of when the upgrade might come.

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
The problem is, if we make estimated dates. But they are just estimates. And then when we don't meet them, we get tons of hate mail. I also don't control the schedule, and things change at times that is beyond my control.

For example, I was putting time into Cabinet in between doing Table releases. Then MS finally approved our publisher change. So I was pulled off to do Xbox 360. Getting 360 up to date and ready for submission has been a massive time sink.

LeRoy3rd

May 18, 2013
That makes sense, I'm sure we all forget that Farsight is a pretty small company sometimes. Thanks for the perspective and updates Mike.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Unit 3D pinball really isn't far off the ps4 version. Some of the lighting options even leave the ps4 version for dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WUY42_oddY

Unity3D also has much higher system requirements then TPA to go with that.

Cause they're only working on a pinball simulation game on at least 8 different platforms, with some 44 tables released and a new one coming out every month but haven't been super up to date on a niche feature which probably has no other useful information than 'still in development'. What a bunch of brainless do nothings, amirite or amirite?

Ashley, you can't please some people no matter how much you give them. Also, when Farsight uses the word "we intend to" it's often taken as them having promised us something.

Since there are several items in this priority list, just because it's higher than cabinet support doesn't make it the top priority. Also, people freaking out about missed target dates is one of the major reasons that Farsight doesn't give them anymore very often. It's a result of our overall behaviour as a community, not their lack of communication.

Visual Pinball is moving at a much faster pace than PA. The latest Physics engine is incredibly impressive, with nice momentum handling, ball spin, flipper solenoid simulation (long press means more power), better flipper accuracy with ability to do most tricks, etc. The graphics are getting better and better with new lighting features already implemented with more to come. VP already supports real DMDs with PinDMD, and backglasses on another screen for DMD, SS and EMs. Plus we will see tables that we will never see in PA.

I would love PA to catch up to bring Pinball with cab support to the masses, but I don't think it will happen now - it's been too long.

Visual pinball took 12 years to get to this point. How is that moving faster?

That's why I am done with TPA after season 3. If they refuse to support cab, I won't support them any longer on any platform. After my season passes are done, good bye. I will just have to learn to like Zen. At least they support cab.

Quoted because when you comment about season 4 tables we can ask why you're still buying tables when you promised not to.

That is nice to hear but I think people would like to know a general idea of when we will see some of these features. A while back we were told that DX11 would probably come first. That is the subject of this thread and has little to do with cabinet. Do you have any idea when we might see the DX11 lighting upgrades?

Much of the reason you see so many complaints is that we have little to no information. The DX11 tease was dropped on us last year and we have received very little since other than a vague reference a while back that we might see it 1st qtr 2014. Well that has come and gone with no hint of when the upgrade might come.

As a community, we've proven that we don't deserve timelines because people here freak out like a bunch of meth-heads when their timelines can't be met as if delays haven't been a very real part of the games industry since the mid 80s or something.

The problem is, if we make estimated dates. But they are just estimates. And then when we don't meet them, we get tons of hate mail. I also don't control the schedule, and things change at times that is beyond my control.

For example, I was putting time into Cabinet in between doing Table releases. Then MS finally approved our publisher change. So I was pulled off to do Xbox 360. Getting 360 up to date and ready for submission has been a massive time sink.

360 Players who haven't moved on will certainly appreciate this as well. Since this has been waiting for the better part of 2 years it should be the highest priority. While DX11 lighting will certainly be nice, in reality, no matter how it's argued, it doesn't affect gameplay, it's all just visual flair. DX11 lighting will not fix existing bugs, will not enhance physics or anything.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
"Quoted because when you comment about season 4 tables we can ask why you're still buying tables when you promised not to."

If they don't support cab I will be gone. I already paid for season 3. I am staying until that is done. Hopefully they will support cab by season 4. If not, see ya. I won't continue to support them if they don't do what they said. Simple as that.

priested

Nov 7, 2013
Look, I haven't been a major complainer in these threads. I'm generally happy with the product. However, in this case, I seem to recall Far Sight making a specific point about DX11 in their sales pitch to get people to buy the Steam version. I think it is legitimate to ask 6 months after release, when some of these features promised at release will be coming. I don't think it is fair to attack people as being "impossible to please" or hate-mail senders for asking a legitimate question. Tell me why it is not reasonable to ask when something that was promised at release (to help convince me to buy it) will be coming?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Look, I haven't been a major complainer in these threads. I'm generally happy with the product. However, in this case, I seem to recall Far Sight making a specific point about DX11 in their sales pitch to get people to buy the Steam version. I think it is legitimate to ask 6 months after release, when some of these features promised at release will be coming. I don't think it is fair to attack people as being "impossible to please" or hate-mail senders for asking a legitimate question. Tell me why it is not reasonable to ask when something that was promised at release (to help convince me to buy it) will be coming?

I think it's reasonable as well.

LeRoy3rd

May 18, 2013
Priested makes a good point... Ok, put me back in the mildly-agitated-villagers group... And for the love of pinball, someone get me a pitchfork!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts