Bug Very poor audio quality on PS4 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Is there a general forum discussing the reasoning behind why Farsight manually records the table sound with a microphone? Or did they stop doing that? I want to know if its a limitation not being able to upload the source sound files and use them native with the emulation.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Just blew the dust off my PS4 version to try with the " fixed " sound. Promptly swept all the dust back on. Music sounds great, all sound effects awful.

Is it going to take another 6 months to get this fixed?

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
Is there a general forum discussing the reasoning behind why Farsight manually records the table sound with a microphone? Or did they stop doing that? I want to know if its a limitation not being able to upload the source sound files and use them native with the emulation.
I wasn't aware they did that. I thought that was part of the ROM and emulation.

I wish they could get original recordings and upgrade the audio on some tables, like TAF, I'd really love to get some clearer audio.

Warped Trekker

Dec 26, 2013
I can definitely confirm that the Star Trek TNG table definitely sounds worse than the real table. I play the real table a lot at my local arcade. It must be the sample rate they are using which is why TBA version sounds so muted with high frequency clipped off. I know the real table doesn't have CA quality samples, but it is better than Tpa samples.

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013

They blamed it on mobile devices lacking the cpu power to emulate the audio. I guess it is less taxing to just play back pre-recorded samples.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Just blew the dust off my PS4 version to try with the " fixed " sound. Promptly swept all the dust back on. Music sounds great, all sound effects awful.

Is it going to take another 6 months to get this fixed?

Maybe your problem is due to dust build-up.
J/k... this is sad. :( I bought the PS4 at launch mostly for Pinball Arcade and I find myself not even playing the PS4 because the PS3 version is superior, especially after the Mega Patch, all of the new tables, and of course the sound is not distorted.

I wish they would balance their attention a little less from the Smart Phone ports and more to the superior platforms.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I think I know why it sounds good on my tv.next month it`ll be 2 years old,LG 55LM7600-TA 3Dwith cinema glasses.when the youngster delivered it he asked me what I was using the tv for.i told him for games and watching all sport (I`m a sport nutter )so he set it up.i looked up the menu and this (I haven`t a clue on tech things at all ) is what I found, sound mode is on VIVID ,volume was set on AUTO VOLUME and volume control on HIGH, clear voice 2 set ON ,level set on 3 THE HIGHEST, av sync ON and there was a couple of other settings.when we got the update the other day I noticed a big diff straight away.PS3 and PC are still stronger in sound than PS4,not by much now.there pretty close now.we got an update from ZEN GUARDIANSof theGALAXY is on it,out this week YAHOO !!! :eek:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
i forgot 1 thing, A BIG THANK YOU TO OUR SCOTTISH BROTHERS AND SISTERS AT THE COMMONWEALTH GAMES,YOU SHOULD BE VERY VERY PROUD OF YOURSELVES,THE WARM AND LUV YOU HAVE SHOWN TO ALL THE COUNTRIES HAS BEEN BLOODY FANTASTIC,YOU REMIND ME OF MY GREEK HERITAGE,WELCOMING,THANK YOU.AND YOUR NATIONAL ANTHEM IS SO BEAUTIFUL AND THE CROWDS WHEN THEY START SINGING THE PROCLAIMERS SONG ARE BRILLIANT.LUV YOU. :)

Warped Trekker

Dec 26, 2013
They blamed it on mobile devices lacking the cpu power to emulate the audio. I guess it is less taxing to just play back pre-recorded samples.
Think before you post nonsense. The ROM's contain the sound files. They are also pre-recorded, if that's the word you want to use. All FS would have to do, is rip the sounds from the ROM's and have the game play them. They are basically just PCM audio format. Any device made in past 20 years can play PCM and even MP3 files with little cpu usage.

Warped Trekker

Dec 26, 2013
Farsight, the audio sample rate is still not fixed on all the tables, including the main menu music. Main menu music and all game sounds like it's sample frequency is set at 11kHz.

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
Think before you post nonsense. The ROM's contain the sound files. They are also pre-recorded, if that's the word you want to use. All FS would have to do, is rip the sounds from the ROM's and have the game play them. They are basically just PCM audio format. Any device made in past 20 years can play PCM and even MP3 files with little cpu usage.

My understanding is that is exactly what they do. All of the table audio is recorded from the rom as separate calls. One for a jackpot, one for a drain, etc. Those re-recorded samples are what are actually played back when you are playing a game, not the native audio emulation from the rom. There was a lot of discussion in the Android forum at one point regarding how the audio system worked because of bad lag playing back re-recorded samples.

I'm trying to find the post, but somebody here talked about performance issues on mobile devices in regards to the emulation. I can't remember if it was related to audio or it also might have been about converting the scripted tables. I think it was audio...

Edit: I think I found it here

Actually, FarSight commented once that TPA on the 360 uses only about 25% of one CPU core. (I'm guessing it'll use more once the advanced lighting is implemented.) It's the mobile devices, mostly lower-end phones and tablets, that have difficulty handling the emulation engine's requirements.

Traditionally it's the sound emulation that's the real CPU-hog. The main game code is normally very tightly optimised to run on some pretty slow processors by modern standards, even via emulation. :)

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Can someone post some specific examples of the poor audio? Flippy needs specifics, but I don't have all the tables to test.

Michael DiFilippo

Mar 26, 2012
Can someone post some specific examples of the poor audio? Flippy needs specifics, but I don't have all the tables to test.

The core four pack sound the worst IMHO right now. I use a receiver with head phones and table music sound like they ran through the dryer. Newer tables sound a lot better. But tables like High Speed you will notice crackling.

The ps4 main music just needs to be in stereo like the PC . Its in Mono now.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
PS4 has just released an update,3d blue ray,sound has been increased and some other bs.systemsoftware version 1.75.sound is much better.last night I used my PS3 headphones on all 28 tables,the only 2 tables I was having trouble with were GENIE and BIG SHOT.but today with the update those 2 sound much better. :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
PS4 has just released an update,3d blue ray,sound has been increased and some other bs.systemsoftware version 1.75.sound is much better.last night I used my PS3 headphones on all 28 tables,the only 2 tables I was having trouble with were GENIE and BIG SHOT.but today with the update those 2 sound much better. :)

That's good news!

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Kratos3, PS3 was 3d blue ray and PS4was only blue ray before this update,now you can play 3d blue ray discs on the PS4console. :)

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
According to the change log, the only audio improvements were when playing a bluray at 1.5x speed. Nothing for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts