when will we see cabinet options?

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
I woulda thought a small display monitor would be more versatile, since it could display segmented displays and anything else rendered to it.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
I woulda thought a small display monitor would be more versatile, since it could display segmented displays and anything else rendered to it.

You can do that as well, at least with VP. As I recall, the Virtuapin cabinets used a 17" screen as a third monitor prior to the development of the PinDMD.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014

Yes, lots of people use 3rd monitor for dmd or a portrait 2nd monitor that displays both backglas and dmd.
Pindmd is for purists who want to sacrifice versatility for authenticity.
So no color dmd or movies like in some modern games and no zen dmd.

1moreastronaut

Aug 22, 2013
....and all I have near my desk is a bloody huge upside down water bottle, although the odd female goes there fill up her bottle so I am quite contented ;)

Just the odd one? None of the normal females? ;)

Planning ahead...does anyone know what sort of pc would be required for a cab setup? I see two options for a cab...the main play field with a monitor for the back glass and moveable dmd within this monitor which I would assume is a 2 monitor setup, or the main play field, a monitor and real dmd unit, which is 3 a 3 piece setup. But does that mean 2 or even 3 hdmis are needed for all the monitors etc, or do they not connect up like that.

The PC I've built for my not-yet-constructed cab has two video cards. One is a GeForce GTX 750ti with two HDMI outs (though I'm only using one...more on that later). The other is a GeForce GT 610.

Card 1 - being by far the better card - drives both the playfield and the DMD. The playfield is a 47" LG television connected via HDMI. The DMD is a 17" Dell LCD monitor using the DVI output on Card 1. I had it in mind to use a 20" TV I own which wouldve necessitated using the second HDMI output but for now I'm sticking with the Dell (the TV is doing a fine job entertaining me in my kitchen at the moment).

Card 2 renders the back glass to a 32" Insignia TV via HDMI.

This setup runs Visual Pinball beautifully. I can hardly wait to get the cab itself built.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
During yesterday's twitch stream, it was good to hear that cab support is progressing nicely. I was wondering if there might be any details that Mike could share about the current status? Also, I was wondering if they would consider using an open beta for this similar to DX11?

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Hope this ain't a daft question, but looking at finding parts to build my first cab. Been advised to decade a TV and build the cab around that. Looking to get a 46" as that seems to be the recommended for a cab...but I'm no expert. Question is though...does the TV need to be of a certain spec for instance, does it need to be a certain hertz, does it need to be OCD, led or plasma etc.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
It is the same as if you buy a TV for normal use. The higher the specs the better. Led would be the best choice I guess, plasma is not recommended because of excessive heat loads when mounted flat into a cab. Most important thing is a low latency, so look for models that have been recommended for gaming. Next would be a good side view angle, because you mostly look at it from the side, not front! Another thing that causes a lot of people a pita, is that the TV should have a "on after power loss" function, so when you turn off the cab and back on, the TV turns on by itself. You normally can't use the remote to do so. Otherwise you have to use a relay which is quite complicated...

Last edited:

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I second what mpad said plus...

Personally I would go for a 42" screen as it is closer to a real pin size. But again it is a personal choice. I decased mine when I built it in 2010 but if I was building nowadays I would try to buy a really thin bezel which is equally sized on all four sides to avoid it, so might be worth thinking about. You need to make sure it is cool enough though if it is left cased.

Also don't worry about getting 100/120hz or higher as you will never use it for gaming, although nowadays it is probably standard anyway.

When I built mine it cost me about 2500 Euros in total and at the time I (and the wife) thought it was a huge extravagance, however considering I have used it almost daily for 4 to 5 years I would say it is money well spent, and it is a great hobby too :). Also with the latest VP developments, massive TPA improvements, and the promise of Zacc for cabs it only gets better.

Last edited:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
A few things to think about before I go ahead, and gotta try and get this right as I'll be recording the whole build so I guess it's gotta start with the TV/playfield. just gotta decide on 42" or 46".

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
If you have a standard wb lockdown bar this will define the maximum width. Minus sidewalls, I think 46" won't fit, but I can be wrong here since my TV is 5 yrs old.
So with the aspect ratio you can now calculate the max screen size (decased!!!).

Ich you make yourself a custom lockdown bar you can be more free with max size.

Last edited:

Busol

Dec 19, 2013
Hope this ain't a daft question, but looking at finding parts to build my first cab. Been advised to decade a TV and build the cab around that. Looking to get a 46" as that seems to be the recommended for a cab...but I'm no expert. Question is though...does the TV need to be of a certain spec for instance, does it need to be a certain hertz, does it need to be OCD, led or plasma etc.

Did you see this ?

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=3569

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Cheers for the help and the links everyone....I made good progress yesterday after meeting some guys in the know, and adding it to the info offered on here I have finally made a start. There doesn't seem to be much like this in the UK, and I found that getting a cabinet sent from the US is extremely expensive...so Ive decided to make one myself. Having seen so many questions on here and just because its a bit of a hobby of mine, I have decided to film the whole build...mistakes included! :) I usually just keep the videos for my own personal interest, but if anyone is interested I can upload them to Youtube. Besides, I think the people at the TV shop seemed quite interested to know what was happening with their TV after telling them I didn't need the extra 2 years warranty cause as soon as it leaves the shop the case is coming off!

Just started part 1 today...cabinet construction. Already hit a few hurdles but that makes for good video I suppose, and it's all part of the learning experience. If the build is of interest to anyone, just let me know on here and I'll put a link up (if thats ok to do that on here).

Cheers for the info again.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah for sure. The are a ton of build threads over at hyperspin or VP forums, but TPA definitely need some role models. Just make a dedicated thread.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I found that getting a cabinet sent from the US is extremely expensive...so Ive decided to make one myself.
---
I think the people at the TV shop seemed quite interested to know what was happening with their TV after telling them I didn't need the extra 2 years warranty cause as soon as it leaves the shop the case is coming off!

lol - They do love to sell those extended warranties which cost half the price of the TV. If you didn't get the TV yet, just an idea is to take a USB stick with a HD sized image rotated (but viewed in landscape on a TV), and plug it into the TV to see what it looks like. You will need to turn your head sideways, but might give you an idea of what it looks like when viewed from the side. It will take some explaining though to the shop assistant :).

I also made my cabinet myself, but ended up shipping the ultimate cab builders kit from the US from Virtuapin as I couldn't source all the parts then from Europe (2010-11). The postage was hefty, but worst of all I unexpecedly got stung for about 100 euros from the French customs. The B*s.

One other thing I originally used a 3rd screen for the DMD, but ended up modifying the cabinet to accomodate a real DMD with PinDMD (which now I 'think' only Virtuapin sell). For me it made a world of difference, however if you want to display coloured DMD (without actually buying a colour DMD), a screen might be better (for pinball I prefer the old fashioned super bright amber display that a real DMD offers).

Last edited:

L33

Aug 20, 2014
lol - They do love to sell those extended warranties which cost half the price of the TV. If you didn't get the TV yet, just an idea is to take a USB stick with a HD sized image rotated (but viewed in landscape on a TV), and plug it into the TV to see what it looks like. You will need to turn your head sideways, but might give you an idea of what it looks like when viewed from the side. It will take some explaining though to the shop assistant :).

I also made my cabinet myself, but ended up shipping the ultimate cab builders kit from the US from Virtuapin as I couldn't source all the parts then from Europe (2010-11). The postage was hefty, but worst of all I unexpecedly got stung for about 100 euros from the French customs. The B*s.

One other thing I originally used a 3rd screen for the DMD, but ended up modifying the cabinet to accomodate a real DMD with PinDMD (which now I 'think' only Virtuapin sell). For me it made a world of difference, however if you want to display coloured DMD (without actually buying a colour DMD), a screen might be better (for pinball I prefer the old fashioned super bright amber display that a real DMD offers).

Yeah, already got the TV. Fingers crossed it'll be ok. Gave it a little test run last night. Ended up with a 40" as it was the only size I could find to suit my measurements. Anyhow, I'll have a go later at setting up a new thread on here and I'll post updates for anyone who might be interested. Even if it ends up being a video of 'how not to build your own cab' then it'll have achieved something. :)

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Cheers for the help and the links everyone....I made good progress yesterday after meeting some guys in the know, and adding it to the info offered on here I have finally made a start. There doesn't seem to be much like this in the UK, and I found that getting a cabinet sent from the US is extremely expensive...so Ive decided to make one myself. Having seen so many questions on here and just because its a bit of a hobby of mine, I have decided to film the whole build...mistakes included! :) I usually just keep the videos for my own personal interest, but if anyone is interested I can upload them to Youtube. Besides, I think the people at the TV shop seemed quite interested to know what was happening with their TV after telling them I didn't need the extra 2 years warranty cause as soon as it leaves the shop the case is coming off!

Just started part 1 today...cabinet construction. Already hit a few hurdles but that makes for good video I suppose, and it's all part of the learning experience. If the build is of interest to anyone, just let me know on here and I'll put a link up (if thats ok to do that on here).

Cheers for the info again.

L33, the videos you are offering would indeed be nice. Perhaps, if you feel like it, somewhere (at least in the YouTube Description area of the video) also include at least a little bit of written documentation to accompany the videos. Like your parts list, measurements, etc. Or anything else you want to type up to go along with the videos. Or perhaps post that written documentation, along with links to your videos, here in our forum.

That's a funny story about the TV shop being interested in why/how you are tearing down "their" TV. :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts