when will we see cabinet options?

nabby2020

Mar 2, 2014
Not to sound rude but let's not derail the purpose of this forum. Is there any sort of update Mike? The dx update on PC has been fantastic and we really appreciate it!

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
Personally I would go for a 42" screen as it is closer to a real pin size. But again it is a personal choice. I decased mine when I built it in 2010 but if I was building nowadays I would try to buy a really thin bezel which is equally sized on all four sides to avoid it, so might be worth thinking about. You need to make sure it is cool enough though if it is left cased.

I bought an empty Golden Eye cabinet ($50) and I put a 40" monitor in it. It fits exactly under the standard pinball table glass. I even had to cut out some of the wood in the cabinet to make it fit. To be honest, I don't know why people build their own cabinets. They always look awkward and it's more expensive. When I nudge my machine, it feels like nudging a real pinball machine, because it is a real pinball machine.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
I bought an empty Golden Eye cabinet ($50) and I put a 40" monitor in it. It fits exactly under the standard pinball table glass. I even had to cut out some of the wood in the cabinet to make it fit. To be honest, I don't know why people build their own cabinets. They always look awkward and it's more expensive. When I nudge my machine, it feels like nudging a real pinball machine, because it is a real pinball machine.

Rooter, where does someone purchase a cabinet from a real pinball table at such a great price?

P.S. Based on this thread and others in the PC section of this forum, there is obviously lots of interest by TPA Fans who already own cabinets, or who are interested in buying or building one. That's even more incentive for Farsight to provide what people have been asking for regarding cabinet options.

Last edited:

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
Thanks for your hard work, TBA. Newbie TBA user here from Visual Pinball. One more vote for cabinet support. Excited.

:)

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Must admit, I'm a little surprised that FS keep so quiet about the whole thing. Sometimes it's impossible to know how long things can take, but you always have some idea, even if it's just a guess. Emailing FS doesn't really get u an answer, more of a brush off. I emailed Zen the other week and I got a great reply from them and more help than I could of asked for. And to their credit, if it wasn't for them I'd be pretty much stuck with part of my cab build that I couldn't get help with elsewhere, regarding the artwork for the cab. For cab builders Zen, Tpa and Vp seem to be the big 3, and I find getting help from Zen and Vp is stress free. Not sure why FS is different. One thing I do reckon though, is that if and when FS do release a cab version, I reckon it'll be the one to beat.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Don't forget that VP is non-commercial! The community is complicated but super helpful.

I honestly never got a useful answer from ZEN concerning cab support, only community-manager bla. At least they do answer...

And don't forget Pro-Pinball. This will be the ONE virtual table to beat.
IF they every release it. They are definitely the kings of delay and vaporware, and everybody hates their guts for it. And it's only one table, but expectations are very high...VERY!

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I can't give a timeline because I don't know when I'll have the time to actually work on it. One of our guys was setting up all the cameras so those I believe are done. I just need to set them all up in code.

On top of all that, DX11 needs to be updated to work on cabinet as well, which is a good deal of work.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
I know it's not preferred but MY personal preference is for no date if that date ends up being wrong. This used to be the TPA motto and no one liked it. We've seen proof lately with the dx11 and Xbox 360 that farsight mean it when they say something will come, but unfortunately they just don't have the resources to make this low income task a priority. I am hopeful that once the wii u version comes out, then we should hopefully see more concrete advancement... And then maybe I will start getting a little less patient if there is no obvious progress ;)

Personally, if I was farsight, I would throw a bone via releasing a beta of one table supported with a clear message "no ETA on release, unfortunately this is being worked on a lower priority but this is what you can expect eventually... And we will get there!"

L33

Aug 20, 2014
I know it's not preferred but MY personal preference is for no date if that date ends up being wrong. This used to be the TPA motto and no one liked it. We've seen proof lately with the dx11 and Xbox 360 that farsight mean it when they say something will come, but unfortunately they just don't have the resources to make this low income task a priority. I am hopeful that once the wii u version comes out, then we should hopefully see more concrete advancement... And then maybe I will start getting a little less patient if there is no obvious progress ;)

Personally, if I was farsight, I would throw a bone via releasing a beta of one table supported with a clear message "no ETA on release, unfortunately this is being worked on a lower priority but this is what you can expect eventually... And we will get there!"

I have a feeling that cab support could end up generating more income, in the long run, than people may think. At the moment people are building cabs and they have the VP option (which im new too but looks complicated) or Zen Pinball, which is much better now the DMD can be moved, but its still not full cab support. If TPA implement their cab support I reckon it'll be better than all the options...it has to be...its taken years to do! :) Ive not purchased any TPA of recent because I'll wait for the cab version just in case there is a charge for it. I cant be the only one. And I reckon once cab support is here, more people will want to build a cab because they finally have something 'easy' to put in it. Everyone I know who has seen me building my cab hasn't a clue what it is. But when I let them have a go (test run only) they all wanted one. Saying and doing is one thing of course, but I said...and I am doing! :)

Cheers Mike for keeping us up to date, and I shall be keeping my fingers crossed for a 2015 TPA fully supported cab :)

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Yeah thanks Mike for the update.
Question: Why does dx11 for cabinet need extra attention?
It works (fine) in portrait mode, and even so with the custom views.
Or are you talking about the backglas rendering etc.?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Yeah thanks Mike for the update.
Question: Why does dx11 for cabinet need extra attention?
It works (fine) in portrait mode, and even so with the custom views.
Or are you talking about the backglas rendering etc.?

Dual screen rendering is a bit tricky. Unfortunately what I have working on DX9 doesn't copy over to DX11 so it has to be done specifically for that.

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
Rooter, where does someone purchase a cabinet from a real pinball table at such a great price?

P.S. Based on this thread and others in the PC section of this forum, there is obviously lots of interest by TPA Fans who already own cabinets, or who are interested in buying or building one. That's even more incentive for Farsight to provide what people have been asking for regarding cabinet options.

Sorry, I just saw this message.

I just called the closest pinball repair/dealer near me. They have tons of "junk" that they don't want. The machine had water damage on all the electrical parts, so they considered it useless.

Nomorestalker

Feb 19, 2013
I can't give a timeline because I don't know when I'll have the time to actually work on it. One of our guys was setting up all the cameras so those I believe are done. I just need to set them all up in code.

On top of all that, DX11 needs to be updated to work on cabinet as well, which is a good deal of work.

I like this answer a lot better That's all the community wants it to be left in the loop. Thanks Mike!

Members online

Members online