will TPA work with iOS7?

night

May 18, 2012
TPA should be updated. They had plenty of time doing that as it worked bad on iOS6. Apple releases new system upgrades every once in a while and that's the way it's going to be. It's our system, and there is a whole lot more to it than just playing TPA. I upgrade no matter what. It's FarSight that should adapt to the changes, as iOS7 is here to stay, and so is my iPad2. If you are a manufacturer of games and you see your stuff is not performing good on a new system you need to act. Or you will loose customers.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
For my iPad 3, I switched off transparencies (as I heard it degrades battery life), turned off parallax, plus deactivated cloud (don't use it anyway), and reduced apps that are active in the background. From what I can tell, performance of iOS7 is the same or better than iOS6, atleast on the iPad 3. Safari is definitely faster, and app switching is much improved.

I've already seen iOS7 updates for around 20 apps I have, so I'm sure a TPA update will be forthcoming - not least to add in the new tables! :D

In regard to iOS obsolescence, I think the average support with software updates is 3 years, after that you're on your own.

Last edited:

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
I updated my iPad 4 last night and played a little today. I didn't check off any settings and do not see any issues with TPA, I do not think it runs better though, just the same.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Man, you can't say Apple doesn't know what they're doing. They know they've got instant sales from those people that buy anything new Apple puts out. So how do you convince people who are just fine with their older device and how it works to buy new? You change the iOS so that older devices no longer work as well. Eventually people get so fed up, they actually start thinking the device is broken, and then have to buy new! Genius.

There used to be planned obsolescence within the circuitry of electronics, but now it's being forced with firmware upgrades. With Apple devices, they hit you with the fact you can't replace the battery (easily), with firmware upgrades, and with peer pressure!!

I don't agree that this is FarSight's fault for tables becoming unplayable. It worked on older iOS, it was your choice to upgrade. If it works on the newest device with the newest iOS, then obviously it is a problem with device and iOS being not compatible, not the game. Shoot, I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 8 and had to replace my printer, scanner, web cam, not because they didn't work anymore, but because there was no driver to let them run. Again, forced obsolescence.

Not saying it doesn't suck, just saying the culprit of your ire should lie squarely with Apple.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like the ball is slightly slower on some (most) of the tables now, such as it was before Farsight fixed the issues with previous updates. I wonder if this is some kind of bug. It isn't stuttering, the ball just seems to be running about 10-20% slower than before. Anyone else?

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
(this is a NEW app store feature) for those on older devices that can no longer take upgrades (iPad 1 on 5,x.x) old iP3g) or the like if you try to update an app that is NOT compatible with an older build you will get a popup informing you that iOS 7.x.x or whatever is needed to use the latest version. But wait !!!! You will also be offered the LEGACY version of that APP that works with your legacy iOS build-----Provided the APP existed at the time (like an old FB APP , things like that. With TPA because new tables getting released they need to support a wide range of older / newer devices. They don't want to force customers to purchase new iOS devices just for pinball and take from their own revenue stream. all this said no problem on iOS 7 on my mini.

Last edited:

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
Can't run the Zac pinball app with ios 7. According to Zsolt there is a fix coming that should be in the App Store next week.

Edit: Some have reported no problems running the Zaccaria app after the ios update. I'm going to wait until the app update comes out just to play it safe.
they run fine you just can't put your name in for highscores cause the KB won't appear other then all is well.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I never even considered that TPA might not work with iOS 7. I don't see why anyone would be worried about that.

Because iOS 6 jacked up the frame rate on iPad2.

Just finished giving myself a face-palm. I totally forgot that happened last year.

I updated my iPad Mini to iOS 7 to see how TPA would work with it and there are definitely some framerate issues which are causing stuttering. I only checked a couple of tables. All tables were fine on iOS 6.

Black Hole: stuttering
Black Knight: ok
Genie: stuttering
Ripley's: ok
Theatre of Magic: ok
Whirlwind: ok

night

May 18, 2012
I don't agree that this is FarSight's fault for tables becoming unplayable. It worked on older iOS, it was your choice to upgrade. If it works on the newest device with the newest iOS, then obviously it is a problem with device and iOS being not compatible, not the game. Shoot, I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 8 and had to replace my printer, scanner, web cam, not because they didn't work anymore, but because there was no driver to let them run. Again, forced obsolescence.

Not saying it doesn't suck, just saying the culprit of your ire should lie squarely with Apple.

This is not how it works in the real world. Do you think I am going to buy a new iPad because TPA plays like an old grandma after a system update? I don't think so, I just stop buying TPA. The thing is, we have 2 operating systems for the mobiles where TPA runs on, iOS and Android. And as a manufacturer of games you can complain about the fact that a system update hurts the compatibility with your programs, but do nothing about this problem is most certainly going to hurt your business. The big giants, Apple and Google are going to do it their way, and it's their way or the highway. Farsight should act, because Apple is not going to do it for them.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
Just finished giving myself a face-palm. I totally forgot that happened last year.

I updated my iPad Mini to iOS 7 to see how TPA would work with it and there are definitely some framerate issues which are causing stuttering. I only checked a couple of tables. All tables were fine on iOS 6.

Black Hole: stuttering
Black Knight: ok
Genie: stuttering
Ripley's: ok
Theatre of Magic: ok
Whirlwind: ok
confirmed stuttering on black hole not serious but its there.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Ios7 is very laggy and runs poorly on iPhone 4S

I also did not like the clunky new interface, the design itself is far too feminine of an aesthetic, and the smoked glass transparencys, to the very unconvincing "3 D" effect. To me it's a very epic fail and makes the phone look and feel like an android or windows phone.

Suffice to say I restored back to ios6 and am not looking back. The difference in performance is night and day. What were they thinking with this crap?

Question: if I were to buy a 5S phone, is there any way to get it go run ios6? I would "jailbreak" (I honestly don't even know what that means) if I had to to run ios6 on a 5S.

I'm also wondering if I can just keep ios6 indefinitely and if ill ever be forced to downgrade to ios7 in the future. Honestly if it comes down to it ill keep my 4S phone forever because it does everything I need (texts, Facebook, music, calls,60 fps pinball arcade). And I know guys who were on ios5 and didn't have any problems.

Maybe by iOS 8 or 9 they'll have this crap sorted out and revert back to a more attractive, less clunky interface.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
This is not how it works in the real world. Do you think I am going to buy a new iPad because TPA plays like an old grandma after a system update? I don't think so, I just stop buying TPA. The thing is, we have 2 operating systems for the mobiles where TPA runs on, iOS and Android. And as a manufacturer of games you can complain about the fact that a system update hurts the compatibility with your programs, but do nothing about this problem is most certainly going to hurt your business. The big giants, Apple and Google are going to do it their way, and it's their way or the highway. Farsight should act, because Apple is not going to do it for them.

Of course I don't think you'll buy a new iPad. My point is, Apple is going to convince you to do so, because you upgraded iOS on a device that is not going to be happy running it. You are inevitably going to run into a host of apps that don't run as well, and yes some will have newly written code to make them run better. That newly written code will be specific to iOS 7, so those that stick with the older OS won't be able to download the newer version of the app.

What you are asking, I think, is for FarSight to have optimized versions of TPA for each iOS. Good luck with that. FarSight simply is not going to have an iOS 5, 6, and 7 version each month for each table pack. The more likely scenario is for iOS 5 support to be completely dropped. And while your iPad 2 may be able to run iOS 7, it obviously is not going to run it anywhere near as well as an iPad 4. So if the latest OS doesn't run that well on your old device, is it up to the software sellers to try and code to make it at least work for their program?

I think Mark has the right idea, which is to simply not upgrade and stick with the iOS that was actually developed for his device.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
shutyertrap you make some good points. I run a late 2010 Macbook pro that I'm keeping on Snow Leopard for precisely the reason that the newest OS version would bog it down. Maybe the iPad2 just can't handle the new iOS7, who knows. It just came out yesterday, and rumor is that a new patch is already in testing. However, I have read in other places that iOS7 was really optimized for retina devices. However, Apple has hundreds of millions of iOS devices to cater too, they will do their best to patch up the issues they can.

---

Well, on the iPad 3 so far, it seems that some tables have slowed down the ball flow, perhaps this is stutter, or maybe something else. Either way, it's not bad enough for me to downgrade. iOS 7 is a great upgrade in many respects.

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
Ios7 is very laggy and runs poorly on iPhone 4S

I also did not like the clunky new interface, the design itself is far too feminine of an aesthetic, and the smoked glass transparencys, to the very unconvincing "3 D" effect. To me it's a very epic fail and makes the phone look and feel like an android or windows phone.

Suffice to say I restored back to ios6 and am not looking back. The difference in performance is night and day. What were they thinking with this crap?

Question: if I were to buy a 5S phone, is there any way to get it go run ios6? I would "jailbreak" (I honestly don't even know what that means) if I had to to run ios6 on a 5S.

I'm also wondering if I can just keep ios6 indefinitely and if ill ever be forced to downgrade to ios7 in the future. Honestly if it comes down to it ill keep my 4S phone forever because it does everything I need (texts, Facebook, music, calls,60 fps pinball arcade). And I know guys who were on ios5 and didn't have any problems.

Maybe by iOS 8 or 9 they'll have this crap sorted out and revert back to a more attractive, less clunky interface.

As a former Apple tech support employee and a long time jailbreak enthusiast there is absolutely no way it would be able to be done.

Myself, I jumped ship from an iPhone to a Galaxy Note 2 and had never touched an android prior to my purchase. I still have an iPad mini but am going to dump it as well and get an android tablet at tax time. iOS 7 was the final straw nothing but change for changes sake and the culmination of an intra-company pissing contest.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Yea upgrade for the sake of oh wow all of a sudden my 4S is inadequate. It ran the last OS smooth as silk, but now? I need a 5 or 5S to run smooth again.

And why exactly? is this some crazy intensive new look? No. It's different. That's all. Different and as you say different for difference sake.

That's just ****ty. My friend has a Mac and I don't see them changing the look of that OS. It's pointless. It was done to ape the competition and gain a few points on the Dow jones. And mission accomplished Apple the phone now looks and feels exactly like an Android or Windows phone. And is as confusing and laggy as well.

I will never upgrade now. Thanks for saving me money Apple.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Also iPhone came out in 2007. Is it really nessecary to have 7 operating systems in 6 years? I mean really? How many times are they going to get away with changing the look and color of icons before people realize this is utterly pointless.

I used an old backup to revert back to ios6. When I say old I mean it was from July. But in Apple Time that may as well have been a save file from 2003.

You can count me out of the app,os,phone "upgrade" rat race. I don't need a phone that is as powerful as a PS4. I will keep this phone until the battery no longer works. Well see if these are actually built to last which I doubt. My buddy still has an old iPod from around 2005-06. Still works. Well see.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts