will TPA work with iOS7?

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
Well, enabling Airplane mode had no effect on Whirlwind stuttering on iPad 4 under iOS 6.1.3. Seems to be a pretty good work-around for iOS 7 though. Good find...maybe if I take the iOS 7 plunge (not very likely at this point), I'll have to use it.
Note that enabling Airplane mode under iOS 7 "fixed" the stuttering *with the fixed camera view*. When I run the scrolling camera, it stutters under iOS 7 whether or not Airplane mode is on...

And I've just done some router log sleuthing, and now conclude that some app in the background was intermittently talking on the network which was causing the stutter. Here's why I conclude this:

Given: iPad 4, iOS 7. In each instance below, play TPA 2.7.1 Whirlwind for five minutes with fixed camera, view 2, multiball and event cameras off:

1 - "Normal" mode (wifi on, all configurable options set for "no background processing or network talk") - rare but mildly annoying stutter.
2 - Airplane mode - no stutter.
3 - "Normal" mode, but force-closing all background apps - no stutter.

#1 and #2 were performed with ~30 apps backgrounded. While doing #2 and #3, I monitored my router log to show all iPad network traffic. #2 showed absolutely nothing (as expected), and #3 showed the iPad going to TPA's server when opening the app, and again upon game completion. Unfortunately I did not run the logfile tail during #1 as I hadn't thought of it yet.

During the normal course of events, I don't habitually force close apps as they're not supposed to be taking any resources while they're backgrounded -- but a recently-backgrounded app can continue to reserve memory, maintain open network connections, and finish tasks (downloading files, closing files, etc.) if it's so coded. I'm not an Apple developer so don't know the details, but I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on TPA in the coming days and figure out which app(s) are misbehaving.

Oh yeah, MadScience -- I'm kinda ambivalent about 7 at this point; after all, I've disabled almost all of its "gee-whiz" features that IMO are there for looks. If I had my druthers I'd go back to 6 but reality is gonna force me to the latest version at some point (and I hafta support quite a few non-techie people), so it might as well be now. :^/

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Note that enabling Airplane mode under iOS 7 "fixed" the stuttering *with the fixed camera view*. When I run the scrolling camera, it stutters under iOS 7 whether or not Airplane mode is on...

And I've just done some router log sleuthing, and now conclude that some app in the background was intermittently talking on the network which was causing the stutter. Here's why I conclude this:

Given: iPad 4, iOS 7. In each instance below, play TPA 2.7.1 Whirlwind for five minutes with fixed camera, view 2, multiball and event cameras off:

1 - "Normal" mode (wifi on, all configurable options set for "no background processing or network talk") - rare but mildly annoying stutter.
2 - Airplane mode - no stutter.
3 - "Normal" mode, but force-closing all background apps - no stutter.

#1 and #2 were performed with ~30 apps backgrounded. While doing #2 and #3, I monitored my router log to show all iPad network traffic. #2 showed absolutely nothing (as expected), and #3 showed the iPad going to TPA's server when opening the app, and again upon game completion. Unfortunately I did not run the logfile tail during #1 as I hadn't thought of it yet.

During the normal course of events, I don't habitually force close apps as they're not supposed to be taking any resources while they're backgrounded -- but a recently-backgrounded app can continue to reserve memory, maintain open network connections, and finish tasks (downloading files, closing files, etc.) if it's so coded. I'm not an Apple developer so don't know the details, but I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on TPA in the coming days and figure out which app(s) are misbehaving.

Oh yeah, MadScience -- I'm kinda ambivalent about 7 at this point; after all, I've disabled almost all of its "gee-whiz" features that IMO are there for looks. If I had my druthers I'd go back to 6 but reality is gonna force me to the latest version at some point (and I hafta support quite a few non-techie people), so it might as well be now. :^/

In iOS 7 there's a new feature called "Backgroud App Refresh". Try disabling it and see if it helps. Settings/General/Background App Refresh

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
In iOS 7 there's a new feature called "Backgroud App Refresh". Try disabling it and see if it helps. Settings/General/Background App Refresh
Thanks for the suggestion, sotie - but that's one of the first things I disabled after upgrading; I omitted it in my report above.

Sinitro

Jul 26, 2012
Any incompatibilities? iOS7 comes out today. :cool:

FarSight Studios was given an early iOS7 beta release last April..
Plus they have been receiving timely updates as well.
So they have been programming to iOS7 for many months...

Just my $0.02.. 👍😉

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
FarSight Studios was given an early iOS7 beta release last April..
Plus they have been receiving timely updates as well.
So they have been programming to iOS7 for many months...

Just my $0.02.. 

That's a good $0.02, Sinitro - but I've been talking with several developers whose apps were working fine right up through the last beta and parts of their apps are now broken with the GM. Therefore one must conclude that the release code is not 100% equivalent to the last beta. Grrrr.

I'm not saying that has anything to do with anything; just my $0.0125. :)

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012

When someone has an idea, I jump on it and test it...that's my nature. I've been fooling with these things for over 30 years now and I'm always learning new stuff. I think I've mentioned that I'm usually the first one to jump in with the firmware updates/iOS updates/whatever updates. This time, I restrained and it seems to be paying off for me because:

1. My iDevices all *still* run fine under iOS 6.x
2. I'm not busy for 2-3 weeks (or more, depending on when an update is released) searching for solutions to get my devices back to how they were.
3. I'm getting much needed sleep, not fooling with #2 above. :D

Yep, there will come a time when of course, I *will* have to update. It may be sooner depending on how these issues I'm reading/hearing about with iOS 7 get worked out. I've been on the bad end far too many times now. For once, it feels good to stand by and watch the commotion rather than being part of it.

Thanks much for your great info & testing and sharing your results. :cool:

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
I'm beginning to suspect that iOS 7 is really meant for new unreleased devices such as the iPad 5, which will most likely have double the graphic power and double the system memory. So on older devices such as iPad 3, iOS7 may be taxing the CPU more than newer devices with the latest graphic chips. Makes sense to me. On my two days of testing with iOS7, every table demonstrated a slightly slower ball flow than on iOS6 -- it was minor but perceptible. In a fast table like T2, it was very clear. Anyway, I'm ok with sticking with iOS6 for now.

gsxrboy

Feb 21, 2012
Ive been running 7 since b3 (on my iPhone) and as it is right now on my mini, which is the lowest powered device I have, it's very good performance. The only table that has any issues it seems at the moment is Twilight Zone, and that did in iOS6 anyway. My iPhone zero problems. I'd almost be tempted to say right now, that on the mini, most tables feel faster, at least thats what i thought this morning playing after finally re-downloading the tables again, but thats another thread.

p.s. both devices were restored from scratch and not upgraded.

I'm impatiently awaiting the new mini with retina and A7 chipped goodness as the benches from the 5S are pretty monster.

Turbine

May 19, 2012
Weird. My iPhone 4S is working just fine with IOS7. No problems whatsoever.

My iPhone 4S works fine with IOS 7 too, haven't had a single problem. Updated my iPad 3 and had a quick go on Black Hole (the free version), seems to run as smooth as before.

nstraz

Mar 19, 2013
I had a 3gs from ios 3x which worked fine for many years, I always recharged the battery after letting it fully discharge, etc..

When I hit ios 5 the battery suffers, ios 6 needs charging more than once a day.

Coincidence?

Batteries don't have infinite life spans. After a while they lose capacity. For a laptop you can buy a new battery, for an iPad, you'll have to buy a new iPad.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Well,so far on my iPad 2,after I initially installed iOS7 (before reading here,of course - forgive me,I've had a tough week) I had some problems getting TPA running.i had to reset my device twice to get TPA to properly load,but afterr that initial issue,though - so far (knock on wood) it has been running fine.

Tables I've tried so far are AFM,T2,Genie & Black Hole. I'll be trying a few more tables today,including Whirlwind,and I'll post my findings later.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Okay,now I can see some differences - unless it's just me,of course.

I did play multiple games of Whirlwind with no problems. Then I tried Theatre of Magic,and it is running slower. I felt like I was playing a widebody table. It wasn't stuttering,just playing slower than I remember.

Tried TOTAN,next - with the same result. Just to see about the other end of the spectrum...I tried F2K last,and the ball is still flying around the table as usual. I'll experiment more when I can.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Theatre is slower, but has been for a while. You don't notice it until you've played new content for a prolonged period.

The rubbers feel off...overall it's very outdated, and could use a tweak. However I've accepted at this point, it is how it is. Expecting meaningful fixes and updates to older tables is wishful thinking. Though you never know when Farsight will address an issue no one cares about or even knew was a problem. Like some Gorgar inserts and Arabian Nights "needing" changed to "Tales of the Arabian Nights.".

I think next up in bug fixes they will address a pop bumper in Taxi that has an extra pixel that's not supposed to be there. You know, the important things.

Last edited:

Eegah

May 12, 2013
Dunno, so far TPA seems identical in iOS 7 to me as it did in iOS 6 on my iPad 3.

Now what IS broken is choosing a photo for a wallpaper on the home screen, all stuttery and won't scale images. Argh. As for the overall look... eh whatever I'll live.

Turbine

May 19, 2012
Dunno, so far TPA seems identical in iOS 7 to me as it did in iOS 6 on my iPad 3.

Now what IS broken is choosing a photo for a wallpaper on the home screen, all stuttery and won't scale images. Argh. As for the overall look... eh whatever I'll live.

Oh, you're right - scaling is a mess, it doesn't really respond at all

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts