My first table has arrived

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Just got back from collecting a few spares from a local seller, rubbers, bumper caps, cleaner, fuses. The guy had 3 tables in his living room in very nice condition and I got to play each of them; a who dunit, a lazer wars and an Atlantis. He also had about 5 more tables in his garage including firepower and 8 ball. The lazer wars was my favourite, very nice table.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
A sleeve around the screw threads to keep them from getting messed up or banged around. Also it looks better than leaving naked screw posts out on the table , the posts also keep you from tightening the part down too far. Previous owner was careless putting his parts back.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
So I decided to start taking things apart on the playfield, cleaning the plastics and playfield and renewing rubbers, the plan was to do a section of the table at a time so as not to take on too much at once. That was the plan anyway;

Slingshots removed and a few bits on the left side;

img0378dcl.jpg

img0379oym.jpg

Some plastics;

img0382tq.jpg

Slingshot plastics cleaned and re-assembled;

img0385a.jpg

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
This is where things started getting out of hand, theres a long steel guide that runs right around the top of the table which I didn't realise was all one long piece so I started removing things to get to it but had to keep going until almost everything was removed.

The supercharger lifted up out of the way;

img0391ah.jpg

img0397dz.jpg

img0396laf.jpg

img0392re.jpg

Jeff Carpenter

Oct 23, 2012
Great game! I appreciate you posting and discussing your process. I have just made a run at a Star Trek the Next Generation in the area and if it goes through I will be doing a lot of what you are doing here. Every experience you guys share will help me out greatly. Thank you.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
As you can see the playfield is quite dirty, especially around the top of the table under the supercharger which is impossible to get to without a stripdown. Luckily the playfield is in excellent shape due to its diamond plate protection.

img0402jx.jpg

img0398ln.jpg

img0406xq.jpg

Last edited:

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
So far so good:) take lots of photos for your own reference or post'em. Yeah the plan was to nibble and not get lost but you soon realise to remove 1 piece or rubber you got to dismantle the whole thing. Im just saying because I did, you might forget a step putting it back together then get to a point and realise it then have to tear it down again :) But I was alot faster the second time and I got to do it again when I get all my orders in.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Theres' a lot of steel ramps and guides on this table, what does everyone recommend to clean them?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Elbow grease:) the rails have so many tight spots I didn't polish I just buffed them with MF towel but the guides I used a lil novus 2 horizontaly to go with the brush, but theyre easy to remove and allow for a better cleaning.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
MF = micro fibre , and yeah just dont abrase any parts , they tend to have coatings that prevent oxidising on the parts. and if they dont ? after cleaning them use a sealer coating for metal parts , but only on parts that are bare metal.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Thanks guys. Most of the guides have a bit of a groove worn into them by the ball anyway so any protection is long worn off. Think I'll clean them up with some king of metal polish and then wax them. The playfield is in good nick but you can see the difference between where the ball runs and where it doesn't. Where it doesn't the surface is gleaming with bright colours and a deep shine but where the ball has run its like there is a very light haze over everything. I didn't even notice this until I removed everything and now can see how it was when it was new. I've tried to photograph it but its so subtle it doesn't show on camera.

I'm guessing the surface of the diamond plate finish is very lightly scratched all over giving this slightly hazy look, will something like Novus get it back to its original look? Or should I just wax it?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Novus #2 is a mild abrasive and it should polish the fog just dont apply heavy pressure just light circular motion this will also clean more what looks clean, then wax. You take out and clean your bulbs? Just cleaning the underside of your plastics will make the table brighter, both is best:)

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
All the gi bulbs on the playfield are led's and quite new ( if you remember the seller had said LEDs fitted throughout but has only done the gi. ), the flashers are old and dirty but will be replaced by led flashers when ( if ) the led kit the seller has promised me ever turns up. None of the bulbs below the playfield have been changed either or behind the backglass. I've ordered new coil sleeves for the flippers, kickback and plunger, going to change them just for the sake of it to make sure they are working at their best, they're only cheap anyway. Standup target foams to replace when they come.

karl

May 10, 2012
Wow. I am not a technical chap and my head gets dizzy following this thread. Really impressed by all the work and passion you bring to your new beauty Kevlar. I'm starting to wonder if I have the stamina to own a table on my own. I know there is a really good pinball repair man here in Oslo and that keeps my head above the stormy waters for now, but is it possible owning a big moody machine and not having the skills to bring her the love she needs? Sorry for rambling in a drunken sort of way (hey it's Friday and I'm allowed :cool: ) Anyway, I believe your machine is pleased with you Kevlar and keep posting your progress. It truly is inspiring to read.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Thanks Karl, I'm learning as I'm going along and with the help of knowledgable members of this forum I'm getting there.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts