Arcooda Cab Views 2 to 4 play in Slow Motion. View 1 fine - Build 1.70.18 (5th June)

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
The update was crashing the DX9 version of TPA so we were told to fix it immediately. We should be rolling out another update at the end of the day.

After all the bugs I found in the 1.70.20 update this new one rolling out worries me more than excites me

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
After all the bugs I found in the 1.70.20 update this new one rolling out worries me more than excites me

I wouldn't be too worried. A folder got mixed up with DX9 which caused the backglass issues as well as the DX9 crash. I'll be testing it out and fixing some backglasses if they are still broken. Since Gorgar isn't emulated, it's going to take some more time to fix that backglass. Like I, we should be able to roll out another update today to at least resolve those issues.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Will Arcooda still make patch updates post June 30?

The tables should be getting updates along with the regular TPA version so If we get around to emulating Gorgar, that would make it into the cabinet build. If the lighting or tuning gets updated on a table, it should also make it's way into the cabinet versions. Arcooda will also host private tournaments so their will be updates post June 30th. We are only losing the licences to sell the Williams tables.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
In the build were working on releasing I was able to test the following:

Threatre of Magic was working without any major issues.
Scared Stiff was working without any major issues.
Dr Who was working without any major issues.
Champions Pub was working without any major issues.
Cactus Jacks playfield cameras 1-3 were fixed.
Funhouse backglass was fixed.
Tales of the Arabian Nights backglass was fixed.
Bride of Pinbot Skillshot lamps was fixed.

We will need to continue to work on Central Park and Centigrade in regards to the backglass not Animating.

Were still aware that there are slowdowns with some cabinets and will need time to develop some tools to get us the feedback we need to resolve the issue.

Please let me know If were missing any other table with glaring issues.
Thanks!

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Were still aware that there are slowdowns with some cabinets and will need time to develop some tools to get us the feedback we need to resolve the issue.
Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Will the next build include the change to backglass rendering that might improve performance that you mentioned yesterday (ie: the one in 1.70.20 that was rolled back)?

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Thanks for the info. Will the next build include the change to backglass rendering that might improve performance that you mentioned yesterday (ie: the one in 1.70.20 that was rolled back)?

It won't, It was causing other issues with backglasses that animated such as the spinning spider on Scared Stiff and the Board on Safe Cracker. We'll be looking into it while we develop the tools to track it down.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013

Hey SilverBalls, when your encountering the slowdown, can you get a screenshot of your task manager so we can see how much of the CPU is being used on your system?

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
In the build were working on releasing I was able to test the following:

Threatre of Magic was working without any major issues.
Scared Stiff was working without any major issues.
Dr Who was working without any major issues.
Champions Pub was working without any major issues.
Cactus Jacks playfield cameras 1-3 were fixed.
Funhouse backglass was fixed.
Tales of the Arabian Nights backglass was fixed.
Bride of Pinbot Skillshot lamps was fixed.

We will need to continue to work on Central Park and Centigrade in regards to the backglass not Animating.

Please let me know If were missing any other table with glaring issues.
Thanks!

Addams Family T-H-I-N-G lights on the backglass are not illuminated like the actual table or the separate display on the upper right in the desktop version.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Hey SilverBalls, when your encountering the slowdown, can you get a screenshot of your task manager so we can see how much of the CPU is being used on your system?

Sure - here you go.

taskmgr_sb.jpg

One odd observation which might help your devs.

I took a photo of the screen to get a true image of the processor while the ball was moving in slow motion at 30FPS in view 3. The lights also flicker in slow motion.

1/ I launched the Task Mgr Perf Monitor on my backglass before I ran the TPA Cab version. The taskmgr remained 'On Top' all the time so I did NOT need to Alt-tab to it (this is a key point as you will see later)
2/ I ran TPA and played the Doctor Who table. I START the game and launch the ball, and as I mentioned before when cycling through the views the Flat View 4 gives 60FPS, and the views 1-3 give 30FPS.
3/ The computer is not running anywhere near fullspeed, and as the taskmgr shows TPA is using 11-13% of the CPU consistently. When the screenshot was taking the ball was in play in View 3.
4/ I now Alt-Tabbed to the TaskMgr (just for the hell of it). As I did the framerate went up to about 55FPS and stayed there, and the task mgr showed TPA using 25% now. The ball became faster but still stutterly.
5/ I closed TPA, closed the Task Mgr, and then Launched TPA Cab again from Steam
6/ I started Dr Who in View 3 and again it was running at 30FPS. I simply Alt-Tabbed to TPA again, and the FPS went up to 55 FPS and stayed there. The process was at 25% for the TPACab EXE.

I don't think this is the solution but it may give a clue to the devs as to the cause. Even with the higher FPS there is too much stuttering - the ball is not fluid. As a reminder I get full 60FPS for TPA DX11 in all views and also with the FreeCamMod, etc. and my hardware should easily provide a full 60 FPS.

It seems to me that TPA is somehow limiting itself and an Alt-Tab makes it take more CPU time. Still not enough though to keep completely fluid ball movement.

I had desktop composition ON for this in Windows 7 64-bit. As a test I disabled desktop composition in the EXE properties and when doing this, the Alt-Tab trick did NOT increase the FPS at all, and it remained at 30FPS.

Will be interesting to see if Alt-Tab helps others see an increase in the FPS.

Last edited:

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
Addams Family T-H-I-N-G lights on the backglass are not illuminated like the actual table or the separate display on the upper right in the desktop version.

I'll see what we can do about getting a fix in for this in the next update. Thanks for the report!

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
I think I mentioned back in page 1 of the thread that I did that. It doesn't work 100% of the time but it does help

hlr53

Jul 12, 2016
I saw the same issues a few times yesterday while playing with the new views. Not nearly as bad but my processor is probably the reason why it isn't as pronounced. I have a high-end system as well Core I7-8700, GTX1080,16gb RAM, and Windows 10 Pro.

It isn't constant but there were a few times where the flipper or ball would just slow down or pause for a second or two. It wasn't constant so I thought it might might have been some sort of background
process on my system. I was using view 2 as well.

Hello GAH1068,

Same system specs except I have an older i7-6700. I will be running 3 monitor mode with the PinDMDv3.

Are people having the slow FPS in 2 monitor mode? 3 monitor mode? or both?

I'm waiting to buy near the end of the month. I figure more bugs reduced by then and less frustration for me.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Hello GAH1068,

Same system specs except I have an older i7-6700. I will be running 3 monitor mode with the PinDMDv3.

Are people having the slow FPS in 2 monitor mode? 3 monitor mode? or both?

I'm waiting to buy near the end of the month. I figure more bugs reduced by then and less frustration for me.
I am having it with 2 monitors.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I think I mentioned back in page 1 of the thread that I did that. It doesn't work 100% of the time but it does help

No I didn't see that. I tried killing Steam that you suggested but that didn't work for me, but maybe it is because I clicked back onto TPA rather than Alt-tabbing.

Agree it definitely isn't a fix, but weird how a simple Alt-Tab increases the frame rate. I thought it is related to the Windows property 'bring to front' but I don't think so as clicking on the playfield doesn't increase the fps. Also Alt-Tab doesn't do anything to the frame rate if desktop composition is off (only when it is on).

Last edited:

Jamman39

Jan 1, 2013
Come to think of it, I've been doing alt-enter to full screen after killing Steam. So I haven't tried alt-tab. I'll give it a shot next time I get to the cab

Mr 230268

Jun 12, 2013
Hi everybody,

made my cabinet years ago hoping of a cabinet version of TPA. Playing VP was ok but not perfect. When they latley released the cabinet mode I bought it and I'm really excited. Now my cabinte makes really fun.

But I had also this problem with slow motion in views 1 ot 3 on some tables. One I can remeber was T2. I have an old AMD processor and a GTX 550TI in my cabinet. I have a two monitor configuration. The playfield is a Samsung TV connected with HDMI. My Backglass is an old Monitor with VGA only. The GTX 550 TI has a VGA interface, of coures.

Five days ago I replaced my GTX 550 TI by a GTX 1050 which has no VGA interface. So I bought a converter from DVI to VGA. So all connections for the PC are now digital and externally transformed analog. Installed the new drivers and then played TPA. No Slow motions anymore. All tables I played inculding T2 in all views are perfect.

I don't know if this helps. That's what I experienced.

Members online

Members online