Beta 1.11.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I only had slowdown once on Dr Dude, and that was because of an email coming in. Tegra 3 for me.

Last edited:

Day

Jan 9, 2013
Nexus 7 JB 4.2.1, portrait mode, camera view 2, camera lock bug several times....

"jerkiness" of ball movement....think i noticed on one game where it didn't appear on other tables. closed running app (only tapatalk running in bg)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Jason gave me some lower models for the wires, we were even seeing slowdown on the xbox 360 for those due to the massive amount of polys, which makes me worried about the future option to run higher level of detail models since it always seems to drop us down to 30 fps =\ (this is why it has not been on the top of my list, all devices I have kind of struggle with this which means android is more constrained on the high polygon count than textures, but I am adding them to every table release so that when we get it working properly or the gpus catch up its already there).

Also just a quick census, were people seeing the slowdown mostly on nexus 10's?

Isn't it ironic that static decorative wires are causing more issues than the actual playfield items. It's that why some animated items are not present in the table at this stage?

So what devices do you currently have? I know you have a nexus 7.

I would be a willing victim if you wanted some hardware to test out the high poly models. Maybe seeing the performance on a range of hardware would help with development issues? Could you enable logcat mode to get performance statistics?

The caveat would be that we could turn on the models and test, and turn off if our devices just weren't up to it. I would frankly custom ROM and overclock to enable high poly models. I covet them that much. ;-)

Mxyzptlk

Jul 27, 2012
Dr. Dude runs more smoothly on my Droid 2 Global than on my Nexus 10. Definitely something weird going on with that particular device. It seems to be stuttering even more than RBION. Love Firepower though, seems to be playing well although I need to put some more time in it.

N

netizen

Dr Dude is stuttering on Nexus 10, not Galaxy Tab 2

The weird Camera angle issue is angle 1 in portrait perspective. That's when the camera follows, albeit slowly, even in lock.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Carl, that device (the nexus 10) has a huge fill rate due to the resolution, my guess its gpu...hard to tell. Is there any change when you turn textures low? Is it just these two tables? I think we are going to order one to test on.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
ok, i have put up a new rez file for Dr. Dude. If you uninstall re-install or delete the file manually and re-download, the polygons of the wires should be lower. Let me know if this changes anything (including the stuck cam bug). Thanks! ((note this is not a new build i just updated the file))

Last edited:

Day

Jan 9, 2013
Firepower (in portrait mode with camera view 2), was on ball 2 with 5x multiplier (took me a while to get this goal) and i enabled multiball. during MB one ball drained and i shot one up to the top lock above and to the right of the FIRE rollover lanes (least i think that's where i shot it) the accumulated bonus then promptly collected and (again i think) Firepower announced "1 million points, you win" (don't hold me to this exact wording). Then the game ended to highscore registration with one ball up the top of table and one ball active in lower table (i think on a flipper). registered a score of only 573,080 which was what was showing on the display.

A bit disappointing not to be able to continue with the two balls in play, and of course the third ball still to play. IPDB user comments has nothing to say on the subject

Last edited:
N

netizen

(the nexus 10) has a huge fill rate due to the resolution, my guess its gpu...hard to tell. Is there any change when you turn textures low? Is it just these two tables? I think we are going to order one to test on.

The Nexus 10 has no Texture Options.
It is just RBION and Dr Dude that are consistently slow, tho some other users have reported stuttering intermittently on STTNG.

ok, i have put up a new rez file for Dr. Dude. If you uninstall re-install or delete the file manually and re-download, the polygons of the wires should be lower. Let me know if this changes anything (including the stuck cam bug). Thanks! ((note this is not a new build i just updated the file))

Camera 1 angle seems to be resolved. Regular game play is better, but still slow. it is like it was when I was logged off, or had my Wi Fi disconnected, but as soon as Multiball starts it all goes stuttering along. Balls go through flippers and all the fun that was to be had previously.

If there's any diagnostic tests you want results from for a Nexus 10... OpenGL or benchmarks fire away?

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
hmmm, not at this moment. We have ordered a Nexus 10 to test on, but if its only those two tables something must be making the cpu thread heavy, it appears that this might be happening on ios too (i was told internally). I will keep looking

N

netizen

hmmm, not at this moment. ... something must be making the cpu thread heavy

Here's a pic during Dr Dudes attract mode showing all the running services and the cpu spiking

IMG_20130211_183903.JPG

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
yeah its hard to tell from those kinds of numbers since we have so many threads running in our app, so really com.farsight.AndroidPinball.javaProject is running multiple threads, the two important ones being the cpu and gpu which I have decoupled for performance reasons. Basically the cpu thread goes through, updates game logic, makes draw list and passes it on to the gpu thread which can start chugging through its list without the cpu needing to wait. I am going to try one more thing...

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
Mike has a 3 week vacation
BLASPHEMY!!! DRAW AND QUARTER!!!

All kidding aside; while we're blowing off steam (pun unintended) playing TPA, it's easy to forget that you guys need to unwind too. I hope Mike had a great vacation, so he can feel refreshed and get back to FIXING THOSE @#*&#^~!!! okay I'll stop there....

angrytilter

Jan 20, 2013
A very weak launch in Firepower can let the ball exit the launch, but leave the camera stuck in ball launch mode.

N

netizen

yeah its hard to tell from those kinds of numbers since we have so many threads running in our app, so really com.farsight.AndroidPinball.javaProject is running multiple threads, the two important ones being the cpu and gpu which I have decoupled for performance reasons. Basically the cpu thread goes through, updates game logic, makes draw list and passes it on to the gpu thread which can start chugging through its list without the cpu needing to wait. I am going to try one more thing...
I wasn't sure if it would be useful or not, but ..

I did notice that checking and unchecking the force GPU rendering option on the Nexus 10 seemed to free up some resources, but not enough to make a huge difference.

@Jutter, you always crack me up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts