Doctor Who Kickstarter

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
Let's not forget that Sony would like it if PS3 support ended, and MS are pretty much trying to kill the X360 themselves. Not all of this is on FS! Sony and MS have never consoles they'd like people to buy. Why support titles on old machines?

As for TAF Gold on PS3... well, add that to the list of "bugs" FS haven't fixed (and which probably gets "fixed" in the next update).

I don't care if TAF Gold is exclusive or not any more. Sure it's nice being "in da klub" but it's no big deal. Let folks buy it. In fact FS could've released TAF Gold for $5 and used some of that to offset the KS, I'm sure people would've bought it.

What a cracking idea, what about this gold option on all the tables as a way to supplment these KS now and again.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
What a cracking idea, what about this gold option on all the tables as a way to supplment these KS now and again.

How do they incorporate external sales with the Kickstarter? Do they just say "Hey Kickstarter, it shows we failed here with 20k to go. But we sold 20k of these other table sales. So like can you change that to successful?"

I suspect that's not going to fly with Kickstarter.

And if they sell the table for $5 how much of that goes to the Kickstarter, table licensing cost, and enough left over for Farsight to still make some money? Or is the plan they eat the cost for everything?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
How do they incorporate external sales with the Kickstarter? Do they just say "Hey Kickstarter, it shows we failed here with 20k to go. But we sold 20k of these other table sales. So like can you change that to successful?"

I suspect that's not going to fly with Kickstarter.

And if they sell the table for $5 how much of that goes to the Kickstarter, table licensing cost, and enough left over for Farsight to still make some money? Or is the plan they eat the cost for everything?

Not really what I meant. Sell TAF Gold for $5 before the KS starts, then announce "we did $x sales of TAF Gold before the KS bringing it down from $54k to $54-xk". A lost opportunity, if you will.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Not really what I meant. Sell TAF Gold for $5 before the KS starts, then announce "we did $x sales of TAF Gold before the KS bringing it down from $54k to $54-xk". A lost opportunity, if you will.

That is an awesome idea. The gold version should still be an exclusive but using it as a fundraiser for people that wouldn't otherwise qualify would have been the perfect way to take care of the demand for that version and reduce the kickstarting burden. I think that is a happy compromise without ticking off any previous donors.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
As for TAF Gold,I personally think it's time to sell it. Eldar's idea is a good one. And if TPA's goal is to bring pinball to the masses,well doesn't the Gold version count? I think so.

On topic,I'm glad that the KS has picked up some. I'm keeping an eye on it and plan on supporting it. Finances are rough at the moment so I don't know how much I can throw at it. But I hope it does.

elcondor

Mar 3, 2015
If they can't legally or morally, then they can't - but perhaps premium upgrades are a way of helping with funding. I'm not an EM expert, but El Dorado had a number of configurations and rebuilds that could potentially be part of an upsell, effectively getting a little more revenue from not much more work (New scripts and rules are easier than new models I imagine).

If TAFG was marketed as a Kickstarter exclusive though, then there would be issues from breaking that promise that would make it more trouble than it's worth.
I fully expect when the Stern app comes along, that there'll be multiple varieties in some of those games, so perhaps these kinds of stacked upgrades will be as commonplace as Pro Mode is now?

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
I think that at one point they will sell tafg, too many people ask for it to be ignored...
Unless they it says otherwise in their contract...

But to talk about THIS kickstarter... Well it's not going well at all...

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
I am with the Time Meddlers of Los Angeles, and we have a table at Gallifrey One, the convention mentioned above. I called Farsight this morning to get flyers for the con, which will be the last weekend of the Kickstarter. With any luck, we can convince Lee and Sue Cummings from Tiny Rebel Games (they have a mobile app called Doctor Who Legacy) to play the video during their panel at the convention, and I will be happy to run the video on a loop at the Time Meddlers table.

As for them appearing at the convention, the dealer's room is generally booked a year in advance. Unless Farsight had known last March this was coming down the pike, which is unlikely. there's just no way they could have gotten in to this con.

Wanted to bump the very generous and awesome offer. Farsight contact this wonderful fan, this could help tons imo

Thank you Quigonj and everyone helping out
[MENTION=2022]QuiGonJ[/MENTION] if you dont mind, what is your user name in referance too? Dont want to jump to any conclusions :)

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
To close comments about TAFG being available on PS3, it's not as an unique table.

There's a setting in the regular TAF table options (Gold Mode: On/Off), that modifies the table skin. Highscores are posted to the TAFG website leaderboards though, although there's no TAFG leaderboards in the game itself.

Garycope

Nov 5, 2013
I think this would work better than Kickstarter I just sent this to tpa
Just wanted to ask wouldn't it be easier to just add a surcharge to big licensed tables. You guys know about how many dr who tables will sell. For an example if you think you'll sell 50,000 tables and you need $75,000 for license just tack on a buck and a half to the cost of the table. I'm sure know one will mind paying $3.00 extra for Simpsons or Indiana jones etc. and your not giving away free tables for $7 KS donations.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Just wanted to ask wouldn't it be easier to just add a surcharge to big licensed tables. You guys know about how many dr who tables will sell. For an example if you think you'll sell 50,000 tables and you need $75,000 for license just tack on a buck and a half to the cost of the table. I'm sure know one will mind paying $3.00 extra for Simpsons or Indiana jones etc. and your not giving away free tables for $7 KS donations.
Garycope well said,this is so simple,falls in the K.I.S.S. theory (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID) what`s all the fuss over.GREAT IDEA !!!!:cool:

The Digital Man

Nov 21, 2014

Agreed. +1

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013

Another cracking idea, i would be up for this.

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015

When FS first kickstarted tables with the hype of them being "premium" this was the general thought of how they would be sold, but then they were sold at the regular price and included in season packs. It is a great idea, but not one that FS has been eager to, or apparently interested in, pursuing based on the past.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
When FS first kickstarted tables with the hype of them being "premium" this was the general thought of how they would be sold, but then they were sold at the regular price and included in season packs. It is a great idea, but not one that FS has been eager to, or apparently interested in, pursuing based on the past.

It was a mistake from the beginning to not distinguish these tables. After the first two came out as part of a season, I think it diminished the desire for a lot of people to donate to the kickstarter campaigns that followed, even Addams Family. I've read plenty of comments "Why should I donate, let everyone else take care of making it successful and I'll just pay the $3 for that table as part of the season pass." They really should have made them part of the app outside of the season tables and probably charge another dollar or two for those that didn't participate in the kickstarter campaign. They could have taken that extra money from each table to pay for the next heavy license and get rid of the need for kickstarting (or diminishing it significantly)

hammr25

Oct 4, 2012
I don't think Farsight has every really been very invested in this stuff. It's pretty obvious by their reward tiers that they're making it as effortless as possible since they don't ever give away much physical merchandise. Seems like the Kickstarters started originally because a bunch of fans said "SHUT AND TAKE MY MONEY!" I'm pretty sure if I had a bunch of people saying that I'd probably say yeah, that sounds great, I'd love for you to send a bunch of your money to me.

I assumed during the first Kickstarter that I'd be able to get The Twilight Zone for $5 after it was over because Farsight kept talking about how it wasn't commercially viable. If they think it's not commercially viable that means they're not gonna raise the price when they bring it out. They only raise the price for the people who want it so bad they have no problem with way overpaying for it. That's my take on why they've done things the way they've done them.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Here is a paste from the Kickstarter site for Dr. Who from FarSight:

Creator FarSight Studios about 8 hours ago
Yes we are unfortunately having to wait to launch the new tiers. They should cause a pretty good surge! You guys rock. don't lose hope. It's a bit slow but it's going to fund! Stay positive. :)

The one thing I take from this is the exclamation point after fund. It makes me feel that this Kickstarter will be funded.

IMHTeekO: That means all will be okay and all you nay-sayers can keep on saying "nay", but I have faith. I pledged $7 dollars for another copy of Dr. Who and will be happy to receive my copy in Sept.

Members online

Members online